August 15, 2007

Freehold mayor seeks spot on new immigration panel
http://newstranscript.gmnews.com/news/2 ... e/055.html

BY MARK ROSMAN
Staff Writer

FREEHOLD - Mayor Michael Wilson is asking Gov. Jon Corzine to name him to a new panel that has been charged with developing recommendations "for a comprehensive and strategic statewide approach to successfully integrating immigrants in the state."

In an Aug. 8 letter to the governor, Wilson, who has been Freehold Borough's mayor since 1985, said, "I applaud the action you have taken with the establishment of a Blue Ribbon Panel on Immigrant Policy to comprehensively study the immigration issue. This issue, more than any other, continues to have a significant impact on Freehold Borough."

Last week in remarks delivered at Liberty State Park, Jersey City, Corzine announced the creation of the blue ribbon panel to study the impact of immigration on New Jersey. According to a press release from Corzine's office, the panel will develop recommendations for a comprehensive and strategic statewide approach to successfully integrating immigrants in the state.

The press release makes no differentiation between legal and illegal immigrants who reside in New Jersey.

"For years New Jersey has been a gateway to America - a place of opportunity and new beginnings," Corzine said. "And today we take an important step in creating a comprehensive statewide strategy for weaving immigrants into the economic, social and civic fabric of our communities and state."

In his letter, Wilson told Corzine that "the impact of this dilemma (immigration) has both its advantages and disadvantages. The positive advantages are obvious and they are welcome. The influx of immigrants has enriched our town's culture with a group of individuals who have a profound work ethic, strong family and religious values, and have even added new, vibrant businesses to our downtown."

The mayor continued, saying, "The advantage of this new community, however, comes with its share of challenges. The unchecked flow of immigrants into our town and country has resulted in overcrowded, unsafe housing and has overtaxed our school system beyond both its physical and financial capacity."

Wilson told the governor that he believes his "longevity in office coupled with my hands-on experience with this complex issue makes me eminently qualified to serve both you and the people of my town. I would be most appreciative if you would take heed of my offer."

According to the press release from Corzine's office, the Governor's Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel on Immigrant Policy will examine a number of areas important to New Jersey's immigrant population, including education, citizenship status, civil rights, fair housing, healthcare, language proficiency and employment and workforce training. The panel will be chaired by New Jersey Public Advocate Ron Chen and must report its findings and recommendations to the governor by the 15th month after its organizational meeting.