Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Front-runners are soft on immigration enforcement

Front-runners are soft on immigration enforcement

Guy Farmer
    For the Appeal
    January 6, 2008

As we begin the New Year, it seems as if President Bush and congressional leaders have finally received and understood a clear message from the voting public: We are overwhelmingly opposed to illegal immigration and want the federal government to control our porous borders before considering Bush's so-called "comprehensive immigration reform," which many of us see as a massive amnesty plan.

Throughout the seemingly endless primary election campaign, some candidates have taken strong stands against illegal immigration including Republicans Mitt Romney, Duncan Hunter and Ron Paul. Most of the Democrats have been wishy-washy on the issue, however, and front-runners in both parties - Republicans Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mike Huckabee, and Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama - are soft on illegal immigration, which will hurt them at the polls.

Late last year the Orange County, Calif., Register published a study of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) deportations in the fiscal year that ended in September. According to the Register, ICE deported 261,057 illegal immigrants in fiscal '07, but federal prosecutors filed charges against only 317 of them who tried to re-enter the U.S. in defiance of deportation orders.

"We found a system overwhelmed by the sheer number of immigrants and hampered by public agencies working at cross-purposes," the Register reported. "Less than 3 percent of illegal immigrants are deported each year (and) many of those quickly return to the U.S." This is what passes as "border enforcement" in Washington, D.C.

In a similar study, the Los Angeles Times reported that ICE arrested some 877,000 illegal border crossers in fiscal '07, down 20 percent from arrests in the previous fiscal year. "A drop in apprehensions is often interpreted as a sign that fewer migrants are attempting the trip," the Times noted. Comparing the two Southern California dailies' statistics, we can see that ICE deports fewer than one-third of illegal border crossers. Where are the rest of them, you might ask. Well, some of them are pushing drugs right here in Northern Nevada; I know because I see them in court.

The Times also revealed that the growth rate of the U.S. Mexican-born population dropped by nearly half in 2007, that employment of foreign-born Hispanics increased at a slower pace in the first quarter of '07 than in the previous three years and that the growth of remittances sent to Mexico has dwindled. Some say these declines are primarily because of the slump in the U.S. construction industry, the paper added by way of explanation, while ICE claims that they are the result of stepped-up border enforcement; however, I still don't see a serious commitment on the part of the Bush administration to enforce our immigration laws.

That's why I'm troubled when presidential candidates advocate thinly disguised amnesty programs and murky "pathways to citizenship" for illegal immigrants. In my opinion, those who wish to become American citizens should return to their home countries and get in line behind everyone else who wants to emigrate to the U.S. That's called legal immigration, which I favor along with most of my fellow Americans.

The border city of Calexico, Calif., fed up with lax border enforcement, has hired a photographer to photograph Mexican children who are crossing the border to attend local schools. Since the photographer started his job two years ago, Calexico school enrollment has dropped by 5 percent despite a 3 percent population increase. That's a small example but it shows what cities can do to control the burgeoning costs associated with illegal immigration.

The Supreme Court has ruled that although the children of illegal immigrants have a right to public education, their parents can't falsely claim U.S. residence. That helps Calexico and other border cities but doesn't do anything for Nevada, where the Hispanic population now exceeds 20 percent with a corresponding increase in public school enrollment.

Once known as "the city with a heart," Costa Mesa, Calif., recently adopted a tough immigration policy, including the use of city police to identify undocumented crime suspects. Costa Mesa and other cities in California, Florida and Alabama cooperate with ICE to check the immigration status of those arrested in their jurisdictions. The Orange County Register reported that 60 percent of 2,874 illegal immigrants arrested there last year faced felony charges and 39 percent of those on ICE immigration "holds" were accused felons. Drugs is the name of that game.

Statistics released by the 2007 Legislature showed that illegal immigrants account for more than 20 percent of our state's prison population, costing Nevada taxpayers hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars per year. Add those costs to what we already fork over to subsidize free education and health care for illegals and their families and you begin to understand the magnitude of the problem.

For my part, I won't vote for any presidential candidate who refuses to enforce our immigration laws. How about you?

• Guy W. Farmer, of Carson City, is a semi-retired journalist and former U.S. diplomat who wishes his readers a happy and prosperous New Year.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/200 ... N/65993188
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't trust any canidate but Ron Paul. The only problem I have is that he does not think it's the federal governments job to interfear with who businesses hire. He believe's it should be left up to each state. I could go for that. That's what a lot of states are doing right now. I agree with him that we need to stop giving them any sort of government assistance. If we cut all the incentives and get tough on state levels then I believe they will have no choice but to leave.

Hi alex. Welcome aboard!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)