Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Frustrated Frist pushes border security

The Washington Times
    www.washingtontimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frustrated Frist pushes border security
    By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published March 15, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online exclusive: update 1:32 p.m.

Sen. Majority Leader Bill Frist, frustrated by the sluggish debate over immigration reform at the committee level, plans to introduce a bill that deals solely with border security as early as today.

Mr. Frist's bill, according to aides on both sides of the aisle, does not include a guest worker provision or a process for handling the 12 million illegal aliens already in the U.S., divisive topics that have stalled immigration legislation in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The bill would beef up security along the U.S.-Mexico border, provide funding for thousands more border patrol agents and build small sections of fencing in areas of key traffic. The Tennessee Republican, who is widely believed to be seeking the Republican nomination for president, had promised conservatives that he would bring up an enforcement-only bill and begin debate on the topic on the Senate floor by March 27.

Republican aides say the move by Mr. Frist is not meant to trump similar legislation offered by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania Republican, but rather as an "insurance policy" to ensure the topic is addressed.

Mr. Frist's bill, according to aides, would simply take Mr. Specter's proposal and strip out the guest worker plan and provisions dealing with illegal aliens already in the U.S.

Mr. Specter's legislation has stalled in committee over his proposal to criminalize illegal aliens already here as well as other issues. His bill would allow employed illegal aliens to remain in the United States indefinitely, although it would require them to return home before applying for permanent citizenship.

Mr. Frist will use the rarely employed "Rule 14" that permits him to introduce a bill and bypass the committee process so that it goes directly to the Senate calendar. After winding through several days of parliamentary procedures, Mr. Frist may call that bill to the floor for debate.

During this morning´s Judiciary Committee meeting, Mr. Specter hinted that Mr. Frist would move ahead on his own if the committee didn't arrive at some consensus. The prospect worried both Democrats and Republicans.

"I think it would be March madness to rush this," Sen. Sam Brownback, Kansas Republican, said.

Copyright © 2006 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national ... -1400r.htm

I guess our posts at VOLPAC and the calls, emails and faxes are having an effect.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

I think he wants to be president.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If he really means it, then YAHOO!!!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think he saw how good Tancredo is doing in the MSNBC poll. Tom is beating Frist really good.

He is not stupid, and must realize this is the only way he can become President. It seems McCain already has much of the big money lined up.

But there is lots of small money sitting around, and most American voters, that cannot stand McCain or amnesty.

Quote Originally Posted by TimBinh
    I think he saw how good Tancredo is doing in the MSNBC poll. Tom is beating Frist really good.

He is not stupid, and must realize this is the only way he can become President. It seems McCain already has much of the big money lined up.

But there is lots of small money sitting around, and most American voters, that cannot stand McCain or amnesty.
    I agree. Frist knows that the anit-illegal immigration, which is huge and getting larger everyday, is not going to vote for anybody that doesnt get serious about our border.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wish we knew how this was going today.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    I wish we knew how this was going today.
    I dont know what Frist is doing, but c-span is still voting over budget amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by TimBinh

With McCains comments to the 911 Family's it should be posted on VOLPAC. Matter of fact I sent his little tantrum to a few news papers this morn.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Good, Scuba. If people are having trouble with the website being slow, jump over to NumbersUSA for 5 minutes or less and send some faxes. I'm trying to write send the info about Lindsey Graham telling US to grow up to as many radio talk shows as possible. It might take an hour or so. But numbersUSA is so easy. Please try to take a few minutes there.