Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

GA Conservatives campaign to block benefits for illegals

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_ne ... p?ID=66437

Conservatives campaign to block benefits for illegal immigrants

The Associated Press - ATLANTA

Conservative Republicans turned up the heat Monday in their campaign to end state benefits for illegal immigrants, using a rally which was broadcast live from the Capitol steps to press their cause.

Legislation blocking taxpayer-funded benefits to those who are not citizens is pending in the state Senate and has been designated a top priority of Senate Republican leaders for the 2006 session, which begins in January.

"We're tired of the left trying to frame this ... as something that is anti-immigrant," said Cobb County Republican Chairman Anthony Scott Hobbs. "It's not anti-immigrant, it's anti-illegal immigrant," he said.

Hobbs, who also hosts a talk-radio show, organized the rally and broadcast it as part of his program.

"If legal Georgia residents are not first in line for taxpayer services, then who is?" asked Sen. Chip Rogers, R-Woodstock, the primary sponsor of the legislation.

Spending scarce state money for illegal immigrants means needy citizens don't get the services they need, he said. "We can't help those 12,000 (disabled Georgians) on that waiting list if we're going to give $1 billion to people who are here illegally."

Curiously, one of the targets at the rally was Gov. Sonny Perdue, who led the Republican rise to power in the Georgia statehouse three years ago and who, along with members of the Legislature, faces re-election next year.

"What side is the governor on? Nobody knows," read one sign held before the cameras. Another read: "Sonny, pick a side. We have."

D.A. King, who has crusaded against illegal immigration, complained at the rally, "I don't hear a peep out of the governor's office about the illegal immigration crisis that most of the rest of us cannot and will not any longer ignore."

Perdue was out of the country on economic missions to Japan and China.

A spokeswoman, Heather Hedrick, said the governor believes illegal immigration is largely a federal issue but intends to work with lawmakers "to limit the drain on taxpayer funded programs by illegal immigrants who do not contribute to the system."

Emory University political scientist Merle Black said it appeared from Monday's developments that a portion of the Republican base was attempting to "goad" Perdue into taking a stronger position on immigration, reflecting a national division within the party.

But Rogers hinted that any such divisions would likely be resolved by the time the Legislature adjourns.

Asked by someone in the crowd if he would run for governor against Perdue, he said, "He's done a great job as governor of Georgia. I totally, 100 percent support him for re-election."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

At last some good news as been posted.

We need to find out about Republican Chairman Anthony Scott Hobbs Radion show and get him to interview William.

Sounds like Gov. Sonny Perdue is a kissing cousin of Mike Easley
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I've never been so happy to live in Cobb County.

And I hope Perdue takes a tough stance on this, but he is a former democrat and a Bush butt-kisser. I wish a real conservative republican would run against Sonny "tobacco tax hiking" Perdue in the 2006 republican primary.

GeorgiaConservative

Do you know anything about Hobbs Radio show ?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    GeorgiaConservative

Do you know anything about Hobbs Radio show ?
    Can't say I've ever heard of it.

A spokeswoman, Heather Hedrick, said the governor believes illegal immigration is largely a federal issue but intends to work with lawmakers "to limit the drain on taxpayer funded programs by illegal immigrants who do not contribute to the system."

Emory University political scientist Merle Black said it appeared from Monday's developments that a portion of the Republican base was attempting to "goad" Perdue into taking a stronger position on immigration, reflecting a national division within the party.

But Rogers hinted that any such divisions would likely be resolved by the time the Legislature adjourns.

Asked by someone in the crowd if he would run for governor against Perdue, he said, "He's done a great job as governor of Georgia. I totally, 100 percent support him for re-election."
    Sounds like bull to me. Seems like this governor is a spineless weasel. Hey governor, as far as I'm concerned, your silence = conformity. If you choose to sit back and do nothing then you might as well be in support of illegal immigration because your doing nothing is just as bad as actively aiding and abetting the invasion. Sounds like another Bush Bot needs to receive his pink slip in 2006.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn