Posted: Feb 10, 2016 9:23 PM PST
Updated: Feb 11, 2016 5:21 AM PST
By Christian De La Rosa

ATLANTA (CBS46) -
Immigration activists are speaking out against a Georgia state bill they say would out those living in our country illegally.

The card looks similar to a driver license, but the one proposed would identify them as an "illegal alien" on the card.

Georgia State Senator Josh McKoon told CBS46 the card is necessary to secure public safety.

“To ensure integrity in our elections, to prevent voter fraud,” said McKoon.

Children of undocumented immigrants brought into the country illegally by their parents would be required to get the card.

The so called "dreamers" can already get a Georgia state driver license under President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration.

“We’re trying to give people a scarlet letter,” said immigration attorney Dawson Morton.

Immigration activists believe the proposal is an attempt to undermine driving privileges illegal immigrants with deferred action status already have.

“Seems outside of the Georgia purview and I don’t see why Georgia is entitled to decide who has lawful alien status in a way that is different than the federal government has already decided,” said Morton.

Morton also doubts immigrants living in the country illegally would even sign up if the bill was to become law.

“I don’t think anyone is going to sign up for a license that brands them as an illegal alien,” he said.

The bill has strong backing from conservative groups.

“We should do everything possible to make life uncomfortable for illegal aliens,” said D.A. King with the Dustin Inman Society, an anti-illegal immigration activist group.

The bill is slated for a hearing in the Senate’s safety committee in the coming weeks.

http://www.wtoc.com/story/31194052/i...n-driving-card