Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Galway priest: Battle for undocumented Irish will continue

Battle for undocumented Irish will continue, says Galway priest

by Avril Horan

A County Galway priest has said the failure to get the go ahead for the immigration reform bill in the US has come as a huge shock to the thousands of Galway people living in the States.

Fr Gerry Burns, Catholic Curate in Athenry, has worked in parishes in New York, Boston and Philadelphia. Despite the disappointment, Fr Burns said the campaign to secure the status of the undocumented Irish will continue.

Last month, the United States Senate voted against the bill, which would have given thousands of undocumented Irish a path to citizenship. The bill was backed by President George W Bush but was defeated by 53 to 46.

"It's a huge shock," said Fr Gerry Burns. "There are a lot of people, originally from Galway, who are waiting a long time for something to happen.

"It's all about freedom to travel. I have met people who have been in the US for over 25 years, but were never lucky enough to get a visa.

"They have their own homes, businesses, their children are in school - this decision is going to be very tough for them. They know of many people who have returned to Ireland, but who can't settle back into the Irish way of life.

"They are taking a huge risk if they leave the country and are unable to return," he said.

Niall O'Dowd, Chairman of the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR), said the Senate decision was "devastating".

However, in a statement, he said they are "heartened" by the response from the Irish government to the current situation and they have pledged to continue to fight for the undocumented Irish in the US.

Orla Kelleher, Director of the Aisling Irish Community Centre in Yonkers, New York agreed that the "battle for the Irish will continue".

She said the best option is a reciprocal visa arrangement between Ireland and the US - similar to the Australian visa programme currently in operation.

However, it's likely there will be no further progression on the immigration bill until after the election in November 2008. For many people, it's too late.

"There's widespread disappointment the bill reform fell through," explained Ms Kelleher.

"People are having to make the tough decision whether to hang on or go back to Ireland.

"I know many who have had to leave with a heavy heart because they felt they had no other choice," she said.

Those living in the US without a visa encounter many difficulties. In particular, they can't apply for a driver's license and can't leave the country, without the fear of being stopped, when they try to re-enter. Security measures have tightened considerably since the 9/11 attacks.

"People are sick of having the noose around their neck of not being able to return home," explained Ms Kelleher.

"A lot of people, originally from Galway city and county, had to make the difficult choice not to return home for the funeral of a parent, brother or sister.

"They can't return home for a holiday without the fear of being stopped. If their parents are elderly, they may not be able to fly to the US.

"A lot of people have left their life in the States behind because they are desperate to see their families," she said.

Ms Kelleher said it's "almost impossible" to become a US citizen and even a working visa does not guarantee a safe trip back to the country.

"I recently spoke to a man who received a working visa and thought it was a lifeline," she said.

"He went home to Ireland for a match but was stopped at Shannon Airport."

And she said her cousin is distraught after making the tough decision to return home.

"My cousin is going back to Ireland at the end of the month," said Ms Kelleher.

"She wants to settle down and have a family and feels she has no future in the US. There are just too many restrictions.

"Everyone is entitled to freedom to travel," she said.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/12606.html

I really wish this guy, Mahoney and others worried about and fought for those poor innocent children who were abused by pedophile priests instead of LAW BREAKERS.

It is really just disgusting.

I could say a lot more but I am so passionate about it I would probably say something wrong and get banned. I don't want that. This just makes me sick.

People are having to make the tough decision whether to hang on or go back to Ireland.
    Why should law breakers be immune from the requirement of having to make 'tough decisions'? I obey ALL laws and have to make 'tough decisions' all the time... Go whine to someone that'll listen...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No meddling!

1. Churches need to stay out of politics or have their non-profit status yanked

2. Foreign governments should not have the right to meddle in our policies. I think Mexico has a law against it and we should also

Re: No meddling!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa

2. Foreign governments should not have the right to meddle in our policies. I think Mexico has a law against it and we should also
    AMEN!!

Re: No meddling!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa

I bet we do. I keep finding out more about local criminal law, for example, that I never knew, that I couldn't help but assume that our federal lawmakers have already thought about all kinds of situations where foreign influences step over the line. This board needs some one who understands diplomatic and international laws. There always has been a certain amount of lobbying that goes on between nations--that is the fine art of trade, alliance and diplomacy.

But for another nation to start interceding on behalf of those braking universally recognized rules---this is going too far. Not sure what law would apply---Each individual case might have differing applicable statutes, as the case may be.

Where do these Catholics stop? Makes me worry. Do they all know Teddy? (Note: I have fine Catholic relatives)
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Legalize the Irish - fly them all back to Ireland!! Aer Lingus has flights every day.

Irish-American group

We should start an "Irish-Americans against Illegals" group

If they are illegal - they are illegal.

They knew the laws when they came - they know them now.