Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gay student from El Salvador asks to stay in U.S. out of fea

Gay student from El Salvador asks to stay in U.S. out of fear he'll be killed if he is deported
    BY Rich Schapiro
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 4:00 AM

Julio Hernandez, 24, testified that, if he is deported to his home country of El Salvador, he coul dbe killed for being gay.

A Bronx college student from El Salvador is fighting deportation, claiming he will be killed if he returns to his homeland because he's gay.

Julio Hernandez, 24, says he fled El Salvador four years ago after receiving death threats from gang members.

"For me, it's dangerous in my country," Hernandez said yesterday after an appearance in immigration court. "I want to stay in the U.S. I want a better life for me and my family."

Hernandez, a Bronx Community College student majoring in radiology, was on his way home from a trip to see friends in Chicago when he was picked up by immigration agents on April 27.

The agents boarded his Greyhound bus in Erie, Pa., and demanded his identification, Hernandez said.

After spending nine days in Pennsylvania detention centers, Hernandez was returned to New York and fitted with an electronic ankle bracelet.

The nonprofit New York State Youth Leadership Council is leading a campaign to stop Hernandez's deportation.

"He came from El Salvador fearing for his life," said spokeswoman Sonia Guinansaca. "He has a price on his head."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... z1Q3kw7kc5

Catch this in the url: 6-22_im_gay_so_let_me_stay_in_the_us
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Of course my Ol' friend Albor had to comment:

Petition could save Salvadorean student from deportation
    Albor Ruiz

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 7:35 PM

Undocumented student Julio Hernandez, 24, of Manhattan, is facing deportation to El Salvador, after being deteined on a Greyhound bus during spring break in April.

Julio Hernández Moreno is hardly a threat to society. On the contrary, the El Salvador-born young man is gentle, hardworking, bright and well liked.

The 24-year old radiology student at the Bronx Community College, who is gay, came to the U.S. in 2007 fleeing threats on his life from members of the infamous maras - murderous gangs that have turned the tiny Central American country into one of the most dangerous in the world.

Gangbangers beat him with bats after he confronted them in an attempt to protect his sister from harassment.

"They threatened to kill me and I had to move to another neighborhood," Hernández Moreno said. "But to no avail, the harassment continued unabated. I could not take it anymore and I decided to leave the nightmare behind and start anew in the U.S."

Hernández Moreno has done well in New York. He has learned English, is pursuing his career and has also made many friends.

"I want to finish my studies and get a job where I can be useful," he said. "I am hopeful I will be able to stay in New York."

But Hernández Moreno is undocumented and despite the fact that returning to his native country could cost him his life, he faces imminent deportation to the same violent environment he managed to escape four years ago.

Last April, during spring break, he took a trip with friends to Chicago. On his way back on a Greyhound bus he was detained by the Border Patrol in Erie Town, Penn., and spent several days in jail. Although he was released, deportation is now rapidly approaching.

El Salvador has one of the highest murder rates in the world, with almost 71 per 100,000 people killed annually, most victims of gang violence.

Gays and women live under a greater risk than the rest of the population.

The sad reality is that the violation of human rights and the physical and psychological abuse of gay people are a daily occurrence that is met mostly with indifference by Salvadoran authorities. This has been documented in reports submitted to the United Nations Human Rights Committee.

Fortunately, Hernández Moreno, who appeared at an immigration hearing yesterday, is not alone. He has the support of the New York State Youth Leadership Council, a youth-led group active in the struggle for passage of the DREAM Act, that is conducting a campaign of petitions to stop his deportation.

"Because of the petitions they postponed a decision on my case until Aug. 9," Hernández Moreno said. "But I am still in limbo and I know my case is a delicate one."

"We are collecting petitions and calling out to all community members to contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement director John Morton to urge him to defer Julio's deportation," said Sonia Guinansaca, of the NYSYLC. "We are also urging Sen. Schumer and Sen. Gillibrand to introduce a private bill that can allow Julio to stay in the country he now calls home," Guinansaca added.

The petition, addressed to Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security John Morton and Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano reads in part:

"Julio exemplifies what it means to be an American, what it means to stand up to adversity with dignity, strength and a passion for serving others. His case illustrates the urgent need to reform our immigration system. Julio should be allowed to live the American Dream and contribute to our country.

"We, the undersigned, urge you to take immediate action to stop the deportation of Julio Enrique Hernández Moreno."

And so do we.

You can sign the petition at: action.dreamactivist.org/julioh/.

aruiz@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... z1Q3nB199l
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!

Re: Gay student from El Salvador asks to stay in U.S. out of

[quote="Ratbstard"]Gay student from El Salvador asks to stay in U.S. out of fear he'll be killed if he is deported
    BY Rich Schapiro
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Go pick another Country, we got TOO many people already! He fears death from being gay?? Yah right, all the other illegals claim some form of BS why they HAVE to leave their Country too! Not buying it Julio!!
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>

Pure Hogwash !!

If Julio was sooo afraid why didn't he apply for asylum when he broke our immigration laws and came here Illegally ???
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I vote we do what my BC did when I was in the army when someone tried to get out by saying they were gay. He'd tell them to prove it or get out of his face!

I'd really wonder how many of these so called gays seeking asylum are really gay.... plus so many countries its really not that big of a deal. I remember one article quite awhile back where a Filipino tried the same scam. Of course if you go to the Philippines there are quite a few gay guys all over easy to spot and very accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by ReformUSA2012

I'd really wonder how many of these so called gays seeking asylum are really gay.... .
    Illegals have more excuses than Carters has pills.

So there are no gays in El Salvador? Yea right. Pack that dirt box back to El Salvador senor
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson