Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gil Keeps Proposing-We Keep Opposing

http://www.avpress.com/n/19/0119_s7.hts -

Gil keeps proposing - we keep opposing
    This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press on Friday, January 19, 2007.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's One-Bill Gil time again.
    Just like the Super Bowl, it comes around once a year. But unlike the hype that accompanies the big football game, Sen. Gil Cedillo's annual introduction of legislation that would grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants doesn't create much buzz.

It has become a statewide punchline, earning the Los Angeles Democrat the nickname "One-Bill Gil."

Over the years, he has introduced bills that would give full driving privileges and provide official identification to illegal immigrants, and he has introduced bills that would grant driving privileges but no official identification powers to the license.

All have failed.

Once, when Gray Davis was still governor, the driver's licenses made it through, but they were reversed when Arnold Schwarzenegger swept Davis out of office in the recall.

So Cedillo went back to the drawing board. Again and again and again.

No matter the form Cedillo pursues or the language he dresses it up with or the rationale he provides for it, we oppose the bill. People who are here illegally should not be rewarded with privileges that should be reserved for citizens and legal residents.

Our goal as a state should not be to make life easy for people who are living here illegally. That only leads to more people coming here illegally.

The argument that Cedillo's bill would make our roads safer and reduce the problems with uninsured motorists is faulty. The illegal-immigrant drivers here now have no qualms about breaking our laws and driving without licenses and insurance. Why would they suddenly care about purchasing insurance and keeping their cars insured? They'd work their way around that law, too.

No reasonable person can fault these immigrants for coming here to better their circumstances, given the seemingly hopeless conditions in the places from which they hail. But the United States simply cannot accommodate all who wish to come here - and that means laws, policies and procedures that must be followed.

Letting anyone come here and receive privileges accorded to citizens and legal residents isn't fair to those who follow the laws and come to America the right way.

Back to the drawing board, One-Bill Gil.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This Cedillo guy sounds like a waste of Senate space.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

He'll never give up on this. He's the one that called San Diegans "Crackers" too.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The argument that Cedillo's bill would make our roads safer and reduce the problems with uninsured motorists is faulty. The illegal-immigrant drivers here now have no qualms about breaking our laws and driving without licenses and insurance. Why would they suddenly care about purchasing insurance and keeping their cars insured? They'd work their way around that law, too.
    That`s exactly want I said. Why would they even bother getting insurance let alone signing up for a license? they`re sitting pretty now. Besides they don`t have the guts to step forward on their own, they`re afraid the right thing will happen.
    Everytime this @#%&@ Cedilla name showed up in the paper, I knew exactly what for. I even sent him an email asking what in the hell a 2 faced traitor like him was doing in office.
    ------------------------

Let me guess, mkfarnam, his response was some prepared "Thanks for your concern...I'm working hard for you...I value the opinions of my constituents...But, due to the high volume of emails...YOU'LL NEVER HEAR FROM ME!!!" type of jargon. Or did he even respond at all?
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!