Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gohmert discusses priorities in Congress, immigration

http://www.news-journal.com/news/conten ... hmert.html

Gohmert discusses priorities in Congress, immigration

By ART LAWLER

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tyler, spoke Monday night to the Hallsville Lions Club at Johnny Cace's Seafood and Steakhouse Restaurant in Longview and even as he bragged about the seafood they were eating, he worried out loud about a number of issues facing the nation.

There is, for instance, a Democratic-controlled House of Representatives now, and Gohmert worried about legislation that he believes will lead to disincentives for mineral drilling in the United States.

"I just wish the people who don't want to drill would come to the front of Congress later and take credit for the high prices at the pump," he said.

But Gohmert's biggest worry seemed to be immigration reform. He spoke of it even more than he spoke of Iraq, though he connected the dots between terrorism and the Iraq war.

"I believe the first priority of a government is to protect its people," he said.

He told the crowd he's even been at odds on a number of occasions with his good friend, President Bush, for not doing more to secure the borders.

He said there were improvements, though, especially in the so-called "catch-and-release" policy in which immigrants were stopped, then quickly released, only to have them re-enter the country repeatedly, forcing U.S. border security resources to constantly have to apprehend them again.

Gohmert said that's been stopped now.

He also said he was worried about making deals with people in other countries who didn't think like Americans. His reference was a terrorist who would "blow up their own little child" to kill a bunch of "infidels."

Returning to the topic of unused natural resources, he emphasized the importance of tapping into the resources available in the U.S. to make the country less dependent on foreign oil.

He also said the U.S. had become a prosperous nation, while its neighbor Mexico is still considered a third-world country. Gohmert said the natural resources of the two countries aren't that different.

"The difference," he said. "We are a nation of laws. As imperfect as our system is, we are still the most law-abiding nation in the world."

He praised Mexican people for being hard working, but he said they live in a land of lawless corruption.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    "The difference," he said. "We are a nation of laws. As imperfect as our system is, we are still the most law-abiding nation in the world."
    I used to think that too, but I'm not so sure anymore.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I used to think that too, but I'm not so sure anymore.
    Now we are a Nation with selective law enforcement instead!
    Build the dam fence post haste!