Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP drops Ariz. TV ad campaign (for Graf)

GOP drops Ariz. TV ad campaign

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special CorrespondentThu Sep 21, 7:40 PM ET

Republicans signaled retreat Thursday in their battle to retain an Arizona congressional seat, dropping plans for nonstop television advertisements through Election Day on behalf of GOP contender Randy Graf.

Officials in both parties said private polls show Graf trailing Democratic rival Gabrielle Giffords in the race to replace Republican Rep. Jim Kolbe (news, bio, voting record), who is retiring after 22 years in Congress.

The maneuvering shows the intense district-by-district competition for control of the House, with the two parties adjusting tactics frequently to take changing circumstances into account. Democrats must gain 15 seats this fall to capture control of the 435-member House.

In many circumstances, a decision to turn back reserved advertising time suggests a party has concluded it cannot prevail and prefers to spend its money on a more winnable race. In this case, the GOP advertising is expected to end on Oct. 3, rather than continue throughout the campaign.

Carl Forti, a spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, declined to discuss the organization's advertising plans. "They haven't won anything until Nov. 7," he said.

R.T. Gregg, a spokesman for Graf, said he did not know about the developments. He noted that by law, the GOP advertising was undertaken independent of the candidate.

Bill Burton, a spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said, "There was a reason that Jim Kolbe wouldn't endorse Randy Graf, and that's why national Republicans are walking away."

Kolbe declined to endorse Graf after his primary victory this month, citing "profound and fundamental differences" on several issues.

The decision came on a day party leaders clashed sharply over Graf.

Rep. Rahm Emanuel (news, bio, voting record) of Illinois, chairman of the Democratic campaign committee, sent a letter to his Republican counterpart saying that Graf had the support of white supremacist David Duke. He challenged Rep. Tom Reynolds of New York, chairman of the GOP campaign committee, to stop advertising immediately on Graf's behalf, adding, "Candidates tied to white supremacists are not right for Arizona and they are certainly not right for America."

In a scathing reply, Reynolds accused Emanuel of hypocrisy. Reynolds wrote that the Democrat had tried to recruit a candidate in Pennsylvania last year who "used the n-word with regard to his employees, a controversy that led to a local chapter of the NAACP calling for his removal from office. Your noble response was to stress that `there are two sides to every story,'" Reynolds wrote.

Graf defeated four opponents to win the primary on Sept. 12, running as the most conservative of the group. Immigration was a key topic in the race, with Graf emphasizing his determination to secure the border with Mexico and crack down on illegal immigrants.

Both parties sought to influence the outcome of the primary.

In an unusual move, the NRCC ran ads supporting Steven Huffman, and strategists at the time said they believed Graf could not be elected in the district.

Democrats, calculating that Graf would be easier to defeat in November, ran commercials attacking Huffman.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060921/ap_ ... e_stakes_1
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I could have sworn that I saw an anti Gabby Giffords commercial that talked about her being a big tax person, sponsored by the Republican National Committee.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

"Candidates tied to white supremacists are not right for Arizona and they are certainly not right for America."
    But it is just fine for candidates to be tied to latino racial groups. Graf should sue his pants off for this.

MW
    Rep. Rahm Emanuel (news, bio, voting record) of Illinois, chairman of the Democratic campaign committee, sent a letter to his Republican counterpart saying that Graf had the support of white supremacist David Duke. He challenged Rep. Tom Reynolds of New York, chairman of the GOP campaign committee, to stop advertising immediately on Graf's behalf, adding, "Candidates tied to white supremacists are not right for Arizona and they are certainly not right for America."
    Excuse me, but this is bull crap of the highest order. Graf has no control over who supports him and who doesn't. I'm going to contact the RNC and give them a piece of my mind - I'd recommend everyone else do the same. Arizona and the country needs Randy Graf in the House!

Mailing Address:
    Republican National Committee
    310 First Street, SE
    Washington, DC 20003

Phone Numbers:
    Comment Line & General
    Information: 202.863.8790
    Phone: 202.863.8500
    Fax: 202.863.8820

Email Addresses:
    General Information:
    info@gop.com
    Technical Contact:
    ecampaign@gop.com

For those of you living in Arizona:

ARIZONA

Arizona Republican Party
    3501 North 24th Street
    Phoenix, AZ 85016
    Fax: 602-224-0932
    Phone: 602-957-7770

Email: info@azgop.org
    URL: http://www.azgop.org

I've voted Republican my whole life and I'll be darned if I'm going to sit by and do nothing while the RNC undermines the most important political issue of my life right now! Please, everyone join me in blasting the RNC for pulling out on someone we seriously need in the United State House of Representatives! I can't believe they are willing to pull the plug with out giving a fight. This is politics at its worst.

I swear, you know something is wrong with the system when the RNC throws all its support behind a Republican sellout like Sen. Lincoln Chafee (votes democrat most of the time), but turns its back on a true conservative. I understand the reasoning behind their thinking, but I don't agree with it!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Candidates tied to white supremacists are not right for Arizona and they are certainly not right for America."
    Randy Graf is a Minuteman.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Somebody help me out here. Has the republican party given over control to the DNC?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

We should all identify any candidates for offices in our state or congressional district that have recieved any support/donations from "LaRaza" and make the case in letters to editor, etc. that these candidates are supported by one of the most aggressive racial supremecy groups ever.

Somebody help me out here. Has the republican party given over control to the DNC?
    Is there really any distinguishable difference between the GOP and Democrats at the national level anymore? Both parties are corrupt, neither party serves about American citizens or considers the future of the country. They all serve their corporate masters, the nation be damned.

What we need to do is contact the GOP and let them know if they drop their support of Graf, we will drop our support of them and vote independent instead. I will send my email tomorrow.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!

I'm speechless. I'm 4th generation Republican and I'm just....without words to describe the anger and disapointment I feel toward the RNC.

They would forsake a Congressional Candidate to pursue Open Borders...falling hook line and sinker for the phoney "race" card. So if David Duke who is a Republican supports you, then you aren't going to get funded?

David Duke is a Republican and supports most Republicans.

Hey!!

I wonder if David Duke supported George W. Bush for President?

Maybe...if we can't impeach Bush for the 1002 other bad acts he's taken against this country...then perhaps we can impeach him because...David Duke voted for him.

I mean Fair is Fair...if they won't support Graf because Duke supports him, then we must drop all support for George W. Bush and promptly remove him from our American White House.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Randy Graf is a Minuteman.
    That doesn't make him a white supremacist.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast