Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legislator

The lawmaker who authored the California Dream Act said Saturday that Gov. Jerry Brown has signed the bill allowing Illegal immigrants attending California universities to receive state financial aid.

Brown's office declined comment, and an announcement on the legislation has not yet been made.

But Assemblyman Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles) said he was notified Saturday morning by the governor's aides that Brown has approved the measure, which makes illegal immigrants who are accepted into state universities eligible, starting in 2013, for Cal-Grant assistance.

The governor’s action also allows those without citizenship papers to tap into institutional grants while attending the University of California and California State University systems, and to get fee waivers in the California community college system.

Cedillo praised Brown as an "incredible leader with the vision and courage'' for signing the bill despite its great controversy.

"After having invested 12 years in the high school education of these young men and women, who are here through no fault of their own, it's the smartest thing for us to do to permit these students to get scholarships and be treated like every other student,'' Cedillo said. "We need an educated workforce. This is good for California's economy and California's future.''

One legislative analysis predicted the bill will cost an additional $40 million to help students who qualify by graduating from a California high school after having attended school in the state for at least three years. They also must show financial need and meet academic standards.

The legislation was opposed by most of the Republican lawmakers who questioned an expansion of programs to benefit illegal immigrants while the state is cutting services to residents who are in the country properly.

Assemblyman Cameron Smyth (R-Santa Clarita) is among those who are not persuaded by assurances of minimal to no impact on legal students. He noted that there are as many as 40,000 illegal immigrants who might apply for financial aid from funds that are limited and that are not being increased by the legislation.

"Therefore, for every dollar awarded to an undocumented student from that pot of money, a dollar would have to be taken away from a citizen or a legal immigrant," Smyth said. "I believe that is wrong.â€
    Bring back the Rotary Phone so we dont have to pressÂ*1 forÂ*English...Â*

Such a sad state of affairs.

Perhaps this country is considering placing a fence in the wrong place?

Wake up America, your Hollywood dream has come true! Embrace your beast.

Suck the fat from the top,
    til lightning cease to flow.
    Sell the wares of galleys past,
    where men will beg to row.

How are we, the taxpayers, going to fund this. Ca is broke. Leave it to Ca to re-elect this clown. I cried the day he got elected.

When his party rejects Texas Toast as their Presidential candidate he can team up with Brown and they can run as the Pro-ILLEGAL Party candidates for President and Vice President; doesn't much matter which is which. We can be just another Third World Country.

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legislator

Question how long this clown have in office he need to be impeach
    I wonder how many Californian's aware he pass this bill..........BTW I didn't vote for him either...

And just how do illegal invaders expect to repay these “public loansâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned

Re: Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legisl

Quote Originally Posted by CaliNative
    He noted that there are as many as 40,000 illegal immigrants who might apply for financial aid.......

I guess he isn't factoring in the many, many more illegals that will now be flocking to mexifornia for financial aid.

I am so glad I left that state years ago. I will never return, even to visit.

My heart goes out to those who are still there and have to pay for this. But then again, mexifornia will soon be asking for a bail out because they are broke so we all may have to pay for these invaders.

Thanks for less than nothing moonbeam. Because of this bastard, my kids will have to compete with illegals for a seat in college.

This state is hopeless. I will be voting with my feet to get the hell outta here asap. Have a mentioned my "ten year plan?" Oh yeah, I probably have a time or two.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legisl

Quote Originally Posted by OneNationUnderGod
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliNative
    He noted that there are as many as 40,000 illegal immigrants who might apply for financial aid.......

I guess he isn't factoring in the many, many more illegals that will now be flocking to mexifornia for financial aid.

I am so glad I left that state years ago. I will never return, even to visit.

My heart goes out to those who are still there and have to pay for this. But then again, mexifornia will soon be asking for a bail out because they are broke so we all may have to pay for these invaders.
    I'm certain he is aware of the many more that will be "flocking" to California and the United States; that is exactly what he and Texas Toast want!

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    How are we, the taxpayers, going to fund this. Ca is broke. Leave it to Ca to re-elect this clown. I cried the day he got elected.
    It is already funded. California will now simply divert aid from legal American students, and give it to Illegal Alien students. It is really pretty simple.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast