Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Governor Ritter (CO) wants immigration enforcement

Ritter wants immigration enforcement
    By Mark P. Couch Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 08/08/2007 01:12:46 AM MDT
    http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6568088

Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter ordered his administration to review how the state is handling its get-tough immigration laws in the wake of disclosures that most laws haven't been rigorously enforced.

Evan Dreyer, spokesman for Ritter, said the governor plans to meet with his cabinet and other senior staffers to ensure the laws are implemented.

"He did support them all," Dreyer said.

The action came Monday after The Denver Post disclosed that most of the new laws have idled due to bureaucratic miscues, legislative inaction and lack of funding.

On Tuesday, Sen. David Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs, lambasted Ritter for failing to act on those laws.

"I am not aware of any government agency under Gov. Ritter's control that is taking these 'illegal immigration' laws seriously," Schultheis said.

Dreyer said Ritter's administration had already acted to ensure the laws - passed before Ritter was elected - would be enforced.

The Department of Labor and Employment had not conducted a random audit of any of the state's 153,000 employers to make sure they are keeping the proper paperwork on new employees.

But that's partly because the duty had been assigned to the department's division of investigations and enforcement under Gov. Bill Owens' administration. After Ritter took office, the duty was assigned to the division of labor required by the new law.

Since then, the agency has been educating employers about their responsibilities under the law and plans to launch a random audit program this month.

Staff writer Mark P. Couch can be reached at 303-954-1794 or mcouch@denverpost.com.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    I will believe it when he starts acting! Enforce our existing laws! When I see Americans, not a majority of hispanics...which we can almost certainly say...are illegal being hired for lawn care, paving, roofing, etc.... then I will believe it!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)