Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Green proposes tax credit for immigrants to learn English

Posted on Tue, Oct. 10, 2006

Green proposes tax credit for immigrants to learn English
    SCOTT BAUER
    Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. - Immigrants who come to Wisconsin legally should receive help to make a smooth transition while those here illegally should not get any benefits, Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green said Tuesday.

Green, who announced his immigration plan in Milwaukee, said if elected governor, he would propose a $300 tax credit to cover the cost of English classes and expenses occurred during the process an immigrant goes through to become a citizen.

There was no immediate cost estimate for the plan.

Green also reiterated his opposition to granting in-state tuition to illegal residents and support for requiring anyone applying for public assistance to show proof of citizenship and allowing government employees to question people's immigration status.

Immigration has become more of an issue in the governor's race in the past week, with both candidates releasing television ads attacking the other on the topic.

Green has accused Doyle of wanting to give welfare benefits to illegal immigrants.

Doyle has said that's a lie: He vetoed a bill in May that would have made it harder for non-citizens to receive welfare and other benefits because it also would have denied U.S. citizens those services. Doyle said in his veto message that he did not believe illegal immigrants should receive public services.

Green said he would have signed the bill to require all applicants for state health care, food stamps and welfare programs to show proof of citizenship or legal immigration status.

Illegal immigrants are not eligible now for government benefits, but the bill's supporters said they were coming to Wisconsin because it was easy to get around state restrictions.

Green said Tuesday he also opposes Doyle's proposal to allow illegal immigrants who graduate from Wisconsin high schools pay in-state tuition at public colleges. The proposal failed to pass the Republican-controlled Legislature.

Doyle, in an ad launched this week, blames Green and Congress for not doing enough to bolster border security.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 724036.htm
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Banned
    What an idiotic idea. Let's give those who already pay little or no taxes another tax credit. If you do this, you should also offer a tax credit for illiterate adult citizens.

Pay them to do what they should be willing to do?

I got a better idea......why not have people volunteer to help them learn?

There's churches and special interest groups that could offer it for free. It's their contribution to help people assimilate into this country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Congressman Green’s Border Security Record: Eight Years of F

Congressman Green’s Border Security Record: Eight Years of Failure
    Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Doyle Campaign Press Release

Green’s Border Security Plan: Hide Deplorable Record by Pointing the Finger at Everyone but Himself

MADISON – Today, Congressman Mark Green tried again to distract voters from his deplorable border security record by making false claims and wild accusations.

The problem for Congressman Green: no amount of election-year rhetoric can make up for his eight years of failure in Congress.

“For eight years, Congressman Green has been in Congress, and for eight years, he has failed to secure our borders,” said Anson Kaye, Communications Director for the Doyle campaign. “But as usual, Congressman Green won’t accept responsibility for his failures, and is instead pointing the finger at everyone but himself in a desperate attempt to trick voters and deflect attention from his own failings. Of course, that refusal to take responsibility is exactly what’s wrong with Washington politicians like Congressman Green, and a big reason why they’ve proven incapable of solving pressing problems like securing our borders.”

In fact, while Congressman Green, President Bush, and the Republican-controlled Congress have failed to secure America’s borders, Governor Jim Doyle moved in to help clean up the mess, actually sending Wisconsin’s National Guard troops to help beef up patrols in border states.

Congressman Green can try to muddy the waters about the Governor’s record all he wants, but the facts are that illegal immigrants are not eligible for welfare in Wisconsin. Governor Doyle’s position? “We should make sure that illegal immigrants do not illegally gain access to these services.” [Source: Governor Doyle Press Release, 5/26/06]

http://www.wisdems.org/ht/display/Relea ... s/i/895854
    ________
    I guess the dems really dont want him to win.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Banned
    Hey, I have an even better idea. Why not stop offering any Spanish translations on any taxpayer subsidized or paid for signage or documents? If they had to apply for food stamps in English, I'll bet they'd learn it immediately. Not only that, we would save taxpayers a small fortune by avoiding all that linguistic redundancy and duplicate signage and documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Hey, I have an even better idea. Why not stop offering any Spanish translations on any taxpayer subsidized or paid for signage or documents? If they had to apply for food stamps in English, I'll bet they'd learn it immediately. Not only that, we would save taxpayers a small fortune by avoiding all that linguistic redundancy and duplicate signage and documentation.
    Andddddddddd

WE HAVE A WINNER

the lack of common sense from all of these nincompoops is driving me insane
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Give me a tax break I already know English.
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Green gets a B- from NumbersUSA......Tom Petri got an A-

Green gets a B- from NumbersUSA......Tom Petri got an A-