Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Group holds rally to protest illegal immigration

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJ ... 091006.htm

September 10, 2006

Group holds rally to protest illegal immigration

By BRITTNEY BOOTH
    Staff Writer

HOLLY HILL -- After four decades in the construction business, Larry Zdun found he could no longer compete with other contractors who hired illegal immigrants for low wages.

Larry, 61, and his son Brent, 33, blame illegal immigrants for pushing them out of the business, and formed the People of the USA organization in February to promote their deportation.

"I lost my job, 44 years in the trade and I lost it to illegals," Larry Zdun said to about 100 people inside the Bikers for First Amendment Rights building on Ridgewood Avenue during the organization's first rally Saturday.

The anti-illegal immigrants rally included a membership drive and a unity ride in which bikers rode down Ridgewood Avenue. It comes at a time when pro-immigrant groups locally and nationally are marching for rights for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living here as the U.S. Congress considers revamping immigration laws.

Those who attended Saturday's rally know where they stand on the issue. As they drank beer and ate barbecue, some talked about how they were tired of reading signs in Spanish. Patty Larkin of Bunnell said she came to the rally to learn what she could do to "stop illegal immigrants coming into the county."

"I'm tired of supporting them," she said.

As Lynyrd Skynyrd played in the background, third party gubernatorial candidate Max Linn told the crowd, "We have got to get illegal immigration under control."

Linn introduced his running mate, Avon Park Mayor Tom Macklin, as "the No. 1 person fighting illegal immigration in this state."

Macklin unsuccessfully tried to pass an ordinance that would fine landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and companies that hire them. If elected, the pair promised to fight against illegal immigration.

"You've seen your neighborhood turning into migrant labor camps instead of what you remember as your home," Macklin said.

Brent Zdun said the rally was to draw attention to the cause and send a message to the government. He plans to file a lawsuit against the federal government for not enforcing federal immigration laws.

He said he has tried to meet with Latino rights groups to discuss the issues, but so far, they have refused.

"I want them to understand that American citizens are losing their jobs," he said. "We are not against immigrants, but we want them to come here legally."

But Hispanic Association of Volusia County President Ozzie Quiroz called the rally "misguided and prejudiced."

He did not attend the rally, but read the group's press release on the event.

"There are no other people coming to the jobs," he said. "Are high school seniors aspiring to work in the ferneries? Let's be honest."

brittney.booth@news-jrnl.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wish them well with their protest. Why should honest businesses be forced to close due to others breaking the law and hiring illeglas? I am pushing to get an asset forfeiture procedure in place for ICE so they can hire more agents and have money for overtime for those existing agents who want it. If business owners loose their businesses over hiring illegals, many will think twice if it is worth loosing so much.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)