Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Group offended by Wells Fargo billboards in Spanish

Group takes offense to Spanish billboards
    Stacia Glenn, Staff Writer
    Posted: 09/21/2009 08:40:17 PM PDT

Video: Billboard controversy http://cbs2.com/video/?id=114102

HESPERIA - Two signs in Spanish that advertise banking services to the community's sizable Latino population are being derided by a group that claims the signs pander to illegal immigrants.

Raymond Herrera, who first noticed the signs last month, has asked the City Council to require billboards in the city be in English.

Herrera is circulating a petition that will be delivered to Wells Fargo's corporate offices.

"It is incumbent upon all Americans that when you see a decadence arise that will threaten our language and culture, our national identity, to rise to the occasion and push the awareness button and alert the people," Herrera said, speaking both as a resident and founder of We the People, California's Crusader.

We the People's Web site says the organization seeks to influence "institutions of political corruption" and "the corporations and employers that unlawfully hire and exploit illegal aliens."

A Wells Fargo spokeswoman said the banking giant is reviewing the two billboards posted on Hesperia's Main Street.

"It's important that all our customers understand our company communications - including our advertising - which is why you'll discover we advertise in multiple languages," spokeswoman Edna M. Silva wrote in an e-mail. "We use marketing and advertising to build awareness of the
    Advertisement
    products and services we offer to meet our customers' financial needs and help them to succeed financially."

Of the nearly 90,000 people who live in Hesperia, 46 percent are Latino and 34 percent speak a language other than English at home, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The city's demographics show 23 percent of its population is Latino.

Raul Martinez, a 20-year resident, said he is offended by We the People's opposition to the billboards and asked why Herrera is not complaining about Taco Bell's "Yo quiero Taco Bell" signs.

"I'm proud to see (the Wells Fargo) sign up. We've come a long way," he said. "This sign is not hurting the city. It's trying to generate money for the banks."

Several identical signs are posted in other cities in San Bernardino County and throughout Southern California.

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_13390230
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Of the nearly 90,000 people who live in Hesperia, 46 percent are Latino and 34 percent speak a language other than English at home, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
    Are the signs posted in other non-English languages too or are hispanics the only ones incapable of learning English? As a spanish speaker, I cringe when I see a sign in spanish. It reinforces that people who speak spanish are too stupid to be expected to learn english. How come this isn't a problem with other non-english populations?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Here I was happy thinking that English was/had become the international language for business etc. then OUR government turns around and tries to make the USA a bilingual nation. There are now many jobs that are requiring applicants to be bilingual effectively excluding Americans that only speak English. These are MAINSTREAM JOBS I'm referring to. If this isn't stopped soon American families who only speak English will have to demand their children receive Spanish as a Second Language starting in kindergarten just to level the playing field.

Come to Houston sometime. In places most every billboard is in Spanish. The biggest offender seems to be State Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Are the signs posted in other non-English languages too or are hispanics the only ones incapable of learning English? As a spanish speaker, I cringe when I see a sign in spanish. It reinforces that people who speak spanish are too stupid to be expected to learn english. How come this isn't a problem with other non-english populations?
    I completely agree with you. Mandrin Chinese is the most widely spoken language in teh world yet I have never seen a billboard, road sign or anything else in Houuston written in Mandrin Chinese. I think that kind of pandering makes the same statement you mentioned. Businesses obviously think Hispanics are too ignorant to understand English. Hispanics should be angry about this. I personally would refuse to do business with any comapny that thought like this. But then I don't like being pandered to by anyone.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

ELE

I refuse to speak Spanish now.

Our language unifies us.

Speaking other languages at home if fine, it is when they mingle in society that matters...then they should read and speak English it is called assimilating so stop aiding and abetting their behavior. We are not a spanish speaking Nation!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)