Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Gutierrez named 8th most-absent Representative

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gutierrez named 8th most-absent Representative

mysuburbanlife.com
    By Brett Schweinberg, bschweinberg@mysuburbanlife.com
    Berwyn Life
    Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 06:53 PM

Berwyn, IL —

According to recent data from GovTrack.us, Fourth District Representative Luis Gutierrez (D-Chicago), who represents parts of Berwyn and Cicero, has missed more votes during his tenure than all but seven other congressman.

Gutierrez has missed 1,485 out of 12,762 roll call votes since he took office.

Douglas Rivlin, a spokesman for Gutierrez, said the representative missed so many votes because he often is touring the country to raise awareness for immigration issues. Rivlin added that it's one of the primary concerns of Gutierrez's constituents, and the representative has visited as many as 30 cities per year in order to raise awareness of immigration issues.

"That's been the bulk of the stuff that takes him away from either Washington or Chicago, and makes his schedule more complicated than other members of Congress, because he's taken a unique position with a national issue," Rivlin said.

Those efforts have paid off, Rivlin said, as evidenced by recent immigration policy changes from President Obama's administration.

Gutierrez has also earned acclaim from immigrant groups for his work. He was named one of six key Latino players in the presidential race by Latina Magazine, and Immigrant List named him a top 10 "Hero of the Year" in 2011.

Rivlin also said many of the votes Gutierrez has missed are on unimportant issues.

"They're mostly about really minor stuff and we try to make sure that he's here for whatever major votes he needs to be here for, and on that, we're pretty good," Rivlin added.

If U.S. Rep. Gabriel Giffords (D-Ariz.) is excluded from the list, Gutierrez makes 7th most-absent representative in Congress.

On Jan. 8, 2011, Giffords was the victim of a shooting near Tucson, critically injured by a gunshot wound to the head. She later recovered some of her ability to walk, speak, read and write.

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn...Representative
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Douglas Rivlin, a spokesman for Gutierrez, said the representative missed so many votes because he often is touring the country to raise awareness for immigration issues. Rivlin added that it's one of the primary concerns of Gutierrez's constituents, and the representative has visited as many as 30 cities per year in order to raise awareness of immigration issues.
    "I was going to do your roof, but I'm raising awareness about illegal immigration issues" "What? What do you mean I'm fired?"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gutierrez has missed 1,485 out of 12,762 roll call votes since he took office.

Douglas Rivlin, a spokesman for Gutierrez, said the representative missed so many votes because he often is touring the country to raise awareness for immigration issues.
    In other words... screw my LEGAL constituents, I'd much rather undermine the law! Only my illegal constituents matter.