Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Is "Habitat" building homes for illegals?

The article doesn't say anything about immigration status but I wouldn't be surprised:

Habitat dedicates its first home in Hanford

Habitat dedicates its first home in Hanford
    By Eiji Yamashita
    eyamashita@HanfordSentinel.com

The Vasquezes, immigrants from Michoacan, Mexico, have a lot to look forward to this year and beyond as they slowly adjust into the family's new home.

Vegetable and flower gardens will flourish in the back of the light blue one-story, three-bedroom house on Florinda Street, while two children study and play and parents, Jose Antonio and Maria Rigoberta, relax inside the first home they have ever owned.

All of that became possible just before Christmas when the longtime, hardworking Hanford family moved into their Habitat for Humanity house across the street from Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

"We're so happy," said Jose Antonio Vasquez through the translation of family friend Delfa Randles. "I just want to thank each and every one who has helped because I had never thought we would ever be able to live in a house."

The Vasquezes were chosen from some 26 low-income families that had applied for the Habitat house. Their new house is the first city-certified Habitat home in Hanford.

Kings County Sheriff Chris Jordan shakes hands with the family and friends during the ceremonies for the new house on Florinda Street. (Gary Feinstein/The Sentinel)

With a nod of satisfaction and a smile, Vasquez gave a taciturn response of "pretty good" to describe his dream house. His five-year-old son and a two-year-old daughter shyly and happily clung to their parents.

Nearly four years' worth of work came to its culmination Saturday at the dedication of the first house built by a group of volunteers who partnered with Habitat of Humanity of Tulare County. It was the formal presentation of the home to the Vasquezes who had helped Habitat volunteers build their 1,100-square-foot home.

The Vasquezes, a farm worker's family of four, had rented apartments for 11 years before getting the keys to the Florinda Street house.

"This is where I get the energy to do the rest of my job," said Betsy Murphy, executive director of Habitat for Humanity of Tulare County. "Turning the keys over to the family and knowing that this family has moved from substandard housing into decent affordable housing they helped build and is now purchasing is what gives me the energy to keep doing this."

Habitat is a nonprofit Christian housing ministry working to provide shelter for very low-income families. The Tulare County branch has built 27 houses in the region since its inception 14 years ago.

The construction of the Hanford house has been a community partnership from start to finish.

Dozens of local businesses and even more people -- including volunteers representing 15 congregations in Hanford -- raised money and donated time and materials to building the home.

"It's a wonderful feeling to be able to provide decent housing for a family. But it's more than that," said Sam Baker, one of the individuals who spearheaded the effort to build a Habitat home in Hanford. "It's nice to see the community come together to improve the quality of life for everyone."

The whole project cost about $80,000 in labor and materials and large donations came from businesses like Cargill and State Farm Insurance, Murphy said

Also essential to the effort was help from the city, which identified and helped secure the site for the project through a grant, she said.

City officials were among some 60 people who gathered for the home's dedication ceremony Saturday.

"The house is very nice. It's a good thing for the community overall," said Mayor Joaquin Gonzales.

Vice Mayor Dan Chin added, "From the beginning, we've been glad to be involved in this project. We're looking forward to a future partnership with Habitat for Humanity for the next project."

Habitat homes are not a give-away program.

The family contributed more than 500 hours of "sweat equity" to the project during construction.

The family must purchase the house and keep good credit to maintain ownership. But they are given the benefit of paying a no-interest mortgage for the house, which will be kept in the affordable housing market for the next 55 years.

Saturday's dedication was also marked by the vibrant spirit of partnership and shared faith in God.

"This house is not only a place where a home will be found, but a place which reminds us to love each other," Heather Bales, pastor at Hanford's First United Methodist Church, said and prompted all in attendance to place their hands on the house and pray together.

What was achieved through the construction of the Vasquezes' home is just the beginning of what's to come, Murphy said.

Habitat is already working with the city to find a location for the next project, and the core group of volunteers has begun a new round of fundraising, she said.

The reporter can be reached at 583-2429.

(Feb. 10, 200
    http://tinyurl.com/2l6pqr

I stopped giving to Habitat years ago when they had a grateful family on TV that couldn't speak a word of English....and said"Gracias"....Like how difficult is it to learn the word "Thank-you"
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Infuriating!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe Habitat asks or checks immigration status for people who seem, uh, unacclimated to America. Does anyone know for sure what they do? I do know that in my area, illegals could definitely buy homes during the boom.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's my understanding also that they do give these homes to illegals.

In fact, I know of one guy who's boss discontinued donating time to these projects because he saw homes being given to illegals here in AZ over citizens.

When they cover it on the news, I know that personally I've never seen a one of the families who were able to speak English either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Is Habitat For Humanity a Christian charity group or just a liberal do-gooder group? I do remember Jimmy Carter was involved with them.
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

I had a friend who was an escrow officer for a title company who worked with habitat. They are very strict about criminal records, but not legal status. I am not sure how they are chosen, but even though she is of Hispanic decent, she stopped working with them about two years ago. She said she found it strange of the 14 houses she had worked on, 12 went to Latin American immigrants, 1 to a Middle Eastern immigrant and only 1 to a natural born American family.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

american responsibility

americans who sold loans to illegals to purchase homes should be stripped of citizenship and deported to the UN.

They put profit before anything else.

3 bedrooms?
    They should be able to fit about 50 people in it.
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

"We're so happy," said Jose Antonio Vasquez through the translation of family friend Delfa Randles.
    It would seem that as good as this country has been to them that they could at the very least learn the language. But nooooo.....not even a good old heartfelt "thank you" - except through the lips of a translator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast