Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Hate speech' infiltrating immigration debate, Latino group

'Hate speech' infiltrating immigration debate, Latino group says
    10:58 PM CST on Thursday, January 31, 2008
    By BRENDAN McKENNA / The Dallas Morning News
    bmckenna@dallasnews.com

WASHINGTON – Cable news channels have let the war of words over immigration escalate into hate speech, according to a national Hispanic civil rights organization.

The National Council of La Raza wants to meet executives of Fox News, MSNBC and CNN and take them to task for "handing hate a microphone" on their programs, said Janet MurguĂ*a, president and chief executive of the organization.

"Hate groups and extremists have taken over the immigration debate," she said.

She also called on Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee to renounce his endorsement by Minuteman Project co-founder Jim Gilchrist, a frequent guest on cable news shows opposing immigration reform. In response, Mr. Gilchrist called La Raza a racial supremacy group that "dwarfs the combination of Black Panthers, KKK, American Indian Movement and Asian gangs."

CNN Worldwide's CEO agreed to meet with the group, said Cecilia Munoz, the council's senior vice president. A CNN spokeswoman said Ms. MurguĂ*a will appear on Lou Dobbs' show Monday night. Spokespeople for Fox News and the Huckabee campaign declined to comment. MSNBC officials said they look forward to receiving NCLR's letter.

Ms. MurguĂ*a said the tone taken by networks, hosts and commentators had derailed discussion of the issues that need to be addressed in immigration reform.

"It is a serious issue and it requires a serious discussion. And we welcome that discussion," she said.

More troubling, Ms. MurguĂ*a said, the tone of the debate on the cable news channels could be the cause of an increase in hate crimes against Latinos, which increased 25 percent between 2004 and 2006, according to FBI statistics compiled by the Latino group.

"This surge of hate is being driven by a relatively small but vocal and extreme segment of our society," she said.

The organization will first seek to resolve its problems with the networks amicably, Ms. MurguĂ*a said, but she said the growing economic power of the Hispanic community could come into play.

"These outlets have sponsors, so if we can't get to the networks, we'll get to the sponsors," she said.

And politicians, from presidential candidates to candidates for Congress, who embrace the same rhetoric risk facing defeat at the polls, Ms. MurguĂ*a said. She highlighted that point in answering a question about whether the group would support mass demonstrations.

"The march I support would be the marches that would occur on Election Day in November, straight to the voting booths," Ms. MurguĂ*a said.

Although he shares Ms. MurguĂ*a's concerns and backs her efforts, Brent Wilkes, the executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens, said he wasn't certain how effective NCLR's efforts would be.

"We certainly are supportive and we've certainly tried to do the same thing in the past," Mr. Wilkes said. "It doesn't seem to work because the media companies like the controversy."

He added that arguing with the media "is like wrestling with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 4669f.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    Janet MurguĂ*a needs to come to grips with reality. She doesn't have anywhere near the power she believes she has. Does she truely believe that CNN is going to tone down Dobbs and Beck? Get real lady. You're wasting your time.

This is the biggest attack on Free Speech I have ever witnessed.

You can't fight racism by attacking civil liberties.

The National Council of La Raza (The Race) are projection racists. They point the finger calling everyone else a racist hoping nobody notices their overt racism.

According to their new website, 15% of Americans belong to racist groups!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She also called on Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee to renounce his endorsement by Minuteman Project co-founder Jim Gilchrist, a frequent guest on cable news shows opposing immigration reform. In response, Mr. Gilchrist called La Raza a racial supremacy group that "dwarfs the combination of Black Panthers, KKK, American Indian Movement and Asian gangs."
    lol. Looks like Huck's plan backfired big time!
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

The networks shouldn’t give this woman one minute of air time because she is using threats of financial harm. Her position on illegal immigration is un-defendable. The goal
    here is to silence any voice of opposition to total amnesty. Under the guise of hate speech, she and others like her want to be the only voice. Freedom of speech is under attack again.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Laraza is an extremely racist organization. Need proof?

I am a naturalized citizen of the US who happens to come from a hispanic country and I am totally against illegal immigration, laraza calls people like me racist. Why? Because I don't agree with them on illegal immigration. Go figure.
    "

Ya know, this article tells me that la raza is freaking out because for once, they are losing the big battle. This is the lowest form of propaganda I've ever seen. Labeling groups like ALIPAC, Minutemen, etc. as hate groups? That's funny because none of these groups have ever caused the death of an illegal. La raza can't say that about their precious illegals.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

I am a naturalized citizen of the US who happens to come from a hispanic country and I am totally against illegal immigration, laraza calls people like me racist. Why? Because I don't agree with them on illegal immigration. Go figure.
    That seems to be the "new" defination of racism. You don't like my opinion, don't love 100% of everything my people do.....then you're racist.

They had "tagging" done in a town near here by the Latin Kings. The worst was done to a hispanic family. The man was so upset....to think my own people did this to me......and they wonder why American people don't like us. Ya....it's not like the feelings come from no-where and the color of their skin isn't why.

LaRaza has caused such division in this country.....something like I have never seen before.........

I've got to hand it to William, who predicted this days ago. They are now looking for attention to distract us because we are finally organizing against an amnesty candidate. That is their plan, they want us to email/call them or CNN intstead of friends, family, radio djs or GOP reps.

Not gonna work....today I"m on a mission.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Laraza is an extremely racist organization. Need proof?

Miguleina, you are so right! We all have heard this from so many hispanics who are also against illegal immigration.
    What I find hilarious is that a group called "The Race" has the audacity to call anyone racists. Their name itself implies racism towards anyone not of "their" race.
    But I didn't know that blabbering idiots are now a race either!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast