Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hazelton mayor: 'No turning back now'

Hazelton mayor: 'No turning back now'

By Paul Peirce
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, May 4, 2007

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta told Indiana County Republicans on Thursday that federal leaders have dropped the ball on controlling illegal immigration.
    "If the federal government will not stand up to the problem, this fight has got to happen from the ground up by local municipal governments," Barletta said.

Barletta, 51, has gained national fame since last summer after he introduced the Illegal Immigration Relief Act in response to a rise in violent crime that has plagued his northeastern Pennsylvania city.

Barletta spoke to about 140 Republicans attending the spring dinner. The two-term mayor appeared Wednesday on a nationally televised community forum on immigration hosted by CNN's Lou Dobbs, and has become a regular on many radio and cable television shows espousing his view that illegal immigrants are harming the country.

He claims local government can no longer wait for the federal government to respond.

"There's no turning back now, as far as I'm concerned," he said.

The Hazleton ordinance, proposed after four illegal immigrants were charged with killing a man in the city of 30,000 people, would fine landlords $1,000 per day for every illegal alien staying on their property and would revoke the licenses of businesses that hire undocumented immigrants.

The ordinance has not taken effect because of a restraining order filed as a result of a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the law. A decision on that case is expected in the next few weeks after a nine-day trial in March.

"I know it may not be popular or politically correct, but I know in my heart it's the right thing to do. I was losing control of my city," he said.

Barletta said May 10, 2006, was the breaking point after an outbreak of violent crime in his city. He said a 14-year-old illegal immigrant was arrested by police that afternoon for firing a handgun on a playground, and later that night four illegal immigrants were arrested in connection with the death of a man.

"The teenager had a lawyer on speed-dial. One of the men arrested for the killing took five hours for police to identify because he had five different Social Security cards," he said.

Barletta said although the city experienced a 50 percent increase in population since he was first elected in 2000, the city's earned-income tax never increased. Meanwhile, city services including code enforcement, fire and police skyrocketed in cost because of rising violent crimes.

"What happened was, some businesses were paying these people for cheap labor off the books," he said.

"Parents were afraid to let their kids play in the playgrounds because they were afraid of the guns, gangs and drug dealers."

Although the laws have not gone into effect, Barletta said after City Council passed the ordinance in the fall "we actually saw people leaving in the middle of the night."

Barletta said he had no idea his proposals would be so popular. He said hundreds of towns across the country have inquired about the possibility of adopting similar laws, but are awaiting the outcome of the Hazleton lawsuit.

"We plan to take it to the Supreme Court, if necessary. I don't think it's a choice, it's our obligation," he said.

He said the city has received more than $200,000 in donations from across the country to help pay the expenses of the lawsuit.

"It's really touched a nerve," Barletta said.

Barletta is seeking a third term as mayor. As for higher office, he said, "I'll never say never."

Barletta received the Proud to be an American award of the Republican Men's Club.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 06037.html
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

God Bless Lou for having the courage to do the right thing. I hope the decision is handed down soon.

CAN WE BORROW HIM

COULD I BORROW YOUR MAYOR FOR A WHILE.MINE SUCKS BEANER BALLS

We have to start naming alot more kids in America LOU!
    Between LOU Dobbs and LOU Barletta I think it's becoming a patriotic name!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We have to start naming alot more kids in America LOU!
    Okay, this is way off topic, but I have to tell you a cute story (that I never thought I'd be telling here). Anyway, when I was 5 years old, I had a huge crush on a 5-year-old boy who lived down the street from me (yes, his name was "Lou"). One day, I asked him to kiss me. He said he would if I paid him a dollar. So I conned a dollar out of my mom, gave it to Lou, and he kissed me on the cheek.

Lou's dad was in the military, and they moved away a year or so after that. But they moved back when I was in my senior year in high school. So, still having a bit of a crush on him, I asked Lou to the Prom. I was too embarassed to ask him if he remembered the kiss/dollar incident, so we never discussed it.

Well, we went to the prom, had a great time, and when Lou drove me home, he walked me to my door, and gave me a very nice kiss. Then, he reached into his pocket and gave me my dollar back.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Re: CAN WE BORROW HIM

Quote Originally Posted by THEMAN
    COULD I BORROW YOUR MAYOR FOR A WHILE.MINE SUCKS R*****R BALLS
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

That is such a great story Americangirl!

It should be in a movie scene. I'm being nosy, but did you date him after that or was that the end of relationship?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you CCUSA.

No, we didn't date much after that. Lou joined the army right out of high school, and I lost touch with him.

But it is one of my fondest memories....
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

americangirl: That's great. It's a terrific story - only $1 though?

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    americangirl: That's great. It's a terrific story - only $1 though?
    Well, it wasn't adjusted for inflation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast