Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Heading to Canada? You Better Have a Clean Record.

Heading to Canada? You Better Have a Clean Record.

Posted by Jim Benning • 2.23.07

That’s because Canadian immigration officials have been turning away U.S. citizens with even minor criminal records, including a California man on a ski trip to Whistler who had been convicted of marijuana possession—in 1975. “Welcome to the new world of border security,” writes C.W.

Nevius in today’s San Francisco Chronicle. “Unsuspecting Americans are turning up at the Canadian border expecting clear sailing, only to find that their past—sometimes their distant past—is suddenly an issue.

While Canada officially has barred travelers convicted of criminal offenses for years, attorneys say post-9/11 information-gathering, combined with a sweeping agreement between Canada and the United States to share data, has resulted in a spike in phone calls from concerned travelers.

They are shocked to hear that the sins of their youth might keep them out of Canada. But what they don’t know is that this is just the beginning. Soon other nations will be able to look into your past when you want to travel there.” Creepy.

http://www.worldhum.com/weblog/item/hea ... _20070223/

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Sounds like a sensible country. I wonder if they have an ACLU........I mean a CCLU?

I was at the Canadian Border in 1990 when they wouldn't let a Alabama truck driver into the country because of a drug charge. The company had to fly someone else up to drive the truck on to Winnipeg and back.

Why can't the U.S. get a clue?? Seems like Canada and mejico have tougher laws concerning criminals and illegals entering their countries!