Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Here's what the legal challenge to sb 1070 might look like

http://www.racewire.org/archives/2010/0 ... _like.html

Julianne Hing

Defeating SB 1070 In Court: The Next Steps

Legal challenges to Arizona’s SB 1070 are coming from all sides. Both the ACLU and MALDEF are planning legal action against Arizona’s SB 1070, the law that makes it a crime to be an undocumented immigrant in the state and allows state law enforcement to detain anyone they believe might be undocumented. Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon announced on Friday that his city would bring a lawsuit against SB 1070 should it become law; he’s being joined today by Sara Presler, the mayor of Flagstaff, whose city is exploring its legal options as well.

Today the Washington Post reported that Attorney General Eric Holder announced the possibility of a lawsuit from the Department of Justice. Both the ACLU and MALDEF declined to comment on their plans, but we spoke with Jennifer Chacón, a law professor at the University of California, Irvine, to suss out the next steps in overturning this law

What will happen immediately: SB 1070 is set to go into effect in 90 days, but Chacón suspects constitutional challenges to the law will be brought much sooner than that. Like with California’s Prop 187 and other unconstitutional anti-immigrant laws, the first step will be to file a preliminary injunction in state or federal court that will put a temporary hold on the law.

But Chacón says that while civil rights groups seek an injunction, they will also be coordinating a longer term strategy behind the scenes. “They have to proceed on the assumption that they will lose the injunction,â€
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I feel that a lot of this blowback is racist to demonize the evil anglos. The implication from the screaming left is that the 68% of voters in AZ that are for this bill are anglos that are racist. Anglos do make up 68% of the population of Arizona.
    I do not think that race is the motivator, it is Nationality,tax burden, security, personal and property rights.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh, yeah, I believe a site called "racewire" is very impartial.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well gee, Jennifer, belong to La Raza much?

I still don't see how the "racial profiling" argument can hold. Police HAVE to use racial profiling, among other types of profiling to FIND law breakers. I know that in a SW State there will be a lot of innocent people who will fit much of the profile but I am sure police will be trained in the finer points. Gov. Brewer has said so, as well. The American people are generally pretty good at it. There will be some mistakes, but this is necessary.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)