Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic Group Denied United Way Cash Because Of Political

http://www.wral.com/apncnews/9367625/detail.html

PITTSBORO, N.C. -- The Chatham County United Way denied funding to a Hispanic group in part because of its political advocacy, according to correspondence from the agency.

Dina Reynolds, executive director of the Chatham County United Way, said Tuesday that her agency denied the $27,000 request because the Siler City-based Hispanic Liaison spent more for administration than the maximum established by the organization.

But in an e-mail sent last week to Chatham County resident John Hammond, Reynolds wrote that, "Members of our Board and many of our donors are concerned about the recent political activism engaged in by the Hispanic Liaison. The feeling among these members is that United Way donor funds should not be used to support political activism of any nature. Undoubtedly, these concerns weighed on the decision to deny funding the agency."

Hispanic Liaison received $20,000 from the United Way last fiscal year. The loss of the money would hurt its ability to win matching grants from the state, said Ilana Dubester, the interim director of Hispanic Liaison.

Dubester said her group is being punished for participating in an immigrants' rights demonstration in April in Siler City and a national boycott May 1 that asked immigrants to stay home from work and school. Both were part of a national effort to protest a U.S. House bill that would make illegal immigrants felons.

Dubester acknowledged that her agency's administrative cost used 36 percent of its revenues for salaries and administrative costs, above the 25 percent preferred by the United Way.

She said the percentage climbed above the threshold in 2004-05 because two new managers spent most of the year learning their positions and less time raising money.

The Hispanic Liaison, founded 11 years ago, is the oldest social service agency for Latinos in North Carolina and serves about 5,000 people a year.

Dubester said the group has reduced its administrative costs and she plans to explain that during a meeting with United Way board members.

She also said that the money spent by the group for the rally, about $3,700, came from private donations.

"This is about our freedom to express our opinions about what impacts our community," she said.

"Hispanic Liaison received $20,000 from the United Way last fiscal year" If they gave one red cent to them I now will never donate to the United Way again. Plus every family member and friend will know they have been donating to them. I'll see if I can find an email address for the
    PITTSBORO, N.C group and send them this link. We want them to know we are watching by,by money.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

here it is: uwaycc@emji.net
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"This is about our freedom to express our opinions about what impacts our community," she said.
    It is also about the freedom of a charitable organization to give their money to whom they see fit

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968
    It is also about the freedom of a charitable organization to give their money to whom they see fit
    I see fit to never donate again. and just emailed them same.

I believe you can specify which group/groups receive your money when donating through United Way.

I have never given to the United Way anyway.

I never liked their stand on alot of issues.

I will not support any group or individual who in their actions or deeds directly or indirectly supports or aids illegal immigration.

These Hispanic organizations are just that "Hispanic organizations" and they are not concerned about American values or laws hence they are just as much a threat to this country as Islamic terrorist groups. Unfortunately, many receive the monetary benefits of charitable organizations along with even state and federal grants. Just as we have seen the recognition that English is our national language we need the congress to invalidate organizations that run counter to our laws and the American way.

I was involved and donated to them for awhile. Unfortunatly I was quite dissappointed when people that had donated regularily for years were suddenly in desperate need of their help and then denied it. So.....I signed off from them years ago.

I swear I'm going to breathe fire the next time I hear of a special Hispanic or Latino organization demanding rights and calling me a racist if I don't support their takeover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast