Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic Leaders Blast Schwarzenegger's Advice to Turn Off..

Hispanic Leaders Blast Schwarzenegger's Advice to Turn Off Spanish TV
    Friday , June 15, 2007

Some Hispanic leaders lashed out Friday at California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's advice that immigrants should "turn off the Spanish television set" to better learn how to speak English.

Schwarzenegger, who immigrated to the U.S. from Austria, recently told a group of Hispanic journalists that immigrants should stay away from Spanish-language television, books and newspapers.

"You've got to turn off the Spanish television set," Schwarzenegger said Wednesday night at the annual convention of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists in San Jose, Calif. "You're just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn the language faster."

Rep. Linda Sanchez, D-Calif., called the governor's advice a "typical sound bite solution to an important issue," said Jim Dau, a spokesman for Sanchez.

Sanchez said immigrants face the challenge of taking an ESL course because of long lines and up to a three-year wait to get into a class.

A Hispanic advocacy group said Schwarzenegger's comments show his "ignorance on immigration issues."

"Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger demonstrated his ignorance on immigration issues once again by perpetuating the myth that immigrants have to reject their old culture and language in order to learn English and assimilate," said Brent Wilkes, national executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

Wilkes said today's Latino immigrants learn English faster than German, Irish and Italian immigrants did a century ago, without TV.

Spanish-language media helps Hispanics stay connected to their cultural heritage and important public information, according to a spokesperson for Univision, a U.S.-based Spanish-language television network.

"Spanish-language media plays the essential roles of providing the Hispanic community with the news and information they need and care about, and keeping them connected to their cultural heritage," a said the Univision spokeswoman, who declined to provide her name.

"In addition to daily news from around the world, Spanish speakers rely on Spanish-language media for information in critical situations, such as severe weather alerts and health emergencies, and for other public services they may not be able to get anywhere else," the spokeswoman said.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., agrees with Schwarzenegger that there should be English language standards.

"Congressman Hunter believes there should be English language standards in place, especially through this citizenship process," said Joe Kasper, a spokesman for Hunter.

But TV viewers should be free to watch whatever basic programming they prefer, Kasper added.

Sanchez agreed.

"People should use whatever news outlets keep them best informed — whether they're in English, Spanish, German or any other language," Sanchez said.

Joey Vento, owner of Geno’s Cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, told FOX News that Hispanics won’t progress until they are forced to learn English.

“The Spanish people will never progress because of the fact that it makes it so easy for them to go to school or have anything and it’s done in Spanish,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They ought to go home and watch Hispanic tv.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

At least he is right on this one.. Let's see how long it takes for him to apologize once again to those losers.
    I am hispanic and I totally agree that you have to learn English to suceed here.. If you are bilingual, that's fine but we all should speak English because we live in America
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

Wilkes said today's Latino immigrants learn English faster than German, Irish and Italian immigrants did a century ago

Yeah that is why I see Spanish written on almost everything even on official documents.

Spanish speakers rely on Spanish-language media for information in critical situations, such as severe weather alerts and health emergencies, and for other public services they may not be able to get anywhere else

Pleezzzeeeee.....I live in Northern California, when we had the Loma Earthquake back in '89 I believe, and even 911, the Spanish TV didn't even interrupt their spanish novelas or shows until maybe an hour or half ( even more) into the incidence. Yeah what a way to inform people.

Even though I am not crazy for the governator, I hate to admit I fully support him on this statement. As an American of Mexican ancestry, it is shame to see how these organizations that claim to help the Hispanics are simply keeping them under. Pretty must like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton with American of African ancestry.

Arnold should know first hand, since he is an immigrant.

I don't guess they noticed his accent.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I went to Arnold's website to email him and ask him why he has his website translated to Spanish if he thinks it's so important that the Hispanics speak English. His contact us page is out of order. lol...maybe he heard too much ?

And if these folks need spanish language tv to tell them of emergencies, etc. why don't we have tv in all the other languages of all the other LEGAL immigrants (not illegal aliens)? It's ok if they're swept away in a flood or hurricane? And besides, don't you think their kids, who we pay to educate, would translate for them...or can't they speak English either?

Wilkes said today's Latino immigrants learn English faster than German, Irish and Italian immigrants did a century ago
    How many ESL classes did they have the chance attend?
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

"Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger demonstrated his ignorance on immigration issues once again by perpetuating the myth that immigrants have to reject their old culture and language in order to learn English and assimilate," said Brent Wilkes, national executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens.
    Proof that lulac does not encourage assimilation, but seperatism.

Sanchez said immigrants face the challenge of taking an ESL course because of long lines and up to a three-year wait to get into a class.

Gee, I wonder why the long wait? Maybe because there are gazillions of them flooding us out?
    Just your ordinary, average, everyday, American mom!

Then it just proves that these so called leaders are leading for something other than Americans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast