Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Hispanics weigh in on official English

Hispanics weigh in on official English
    Hundreds of Latinos gather to oppose passage of measure

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/regional/ ... 0307.shtml

By Sarah Kessinger
    March 03, 2007

TOPEKA - Bits of Spanish and English were both audible in the crowded Statehouse rotunda Friday at the annual Hispanic Day on the Hill.

Several hundred Latino residents converged on the Capitol to hear speeches, learn about legislation and, in some cases, to remind lawmakers they're offended by a bill that would declare English as the state's official language.

"This is about people who feel uncomfortable when they hear another language," said Rod Bonilla, Salina, state director of the League of United Latin American Citizens. (news flash: you're in a foreign country; go home if you don't like hearing a different language)

The Republican-sponsored bill passed overwhelmingly in the House recently. Democrats added an amendment that creates a $500,000 grant program to aid adult English classes.

House GOP leaders said they wanted an official language to help immigrants understand their job opportunities can improve by learning English.

But Bonilla said it actually denigrates other languages. His first language is Spanish, he said in perfect English, and that reflects a culture.

"How do you tell people they're of no value? You're going to turn a blind eye to a resource?" he asked.

Lawmakers who supported the measure claimed otherwise.

Rep. Larry Powell, R-Kalvesta, voted for the bill, saying he hoped it would encourage people to learn the language.

"If they want to be citizens here, we don't want them held back."

The measure doesn't prevent public agencies from using other languages. But the fact the bill still declares an official language sends a negative message to new immigrants, some said.

It's also a bad move for a state trying to attract business, said Leo Prieto, a promoter with the Kansas City Wizards, a professional soccer team.

"It's just a slap in the face to the Latino community," said Prieto. "You can put all the exemptions you want in there, but it's still taking a shot at other languages. Kansas has a chance to take the lead and not be so anti-immigrant."

Ana Lazarin, a Wichita State University student from Garden City, had mixed feelings.

"Maybe it's a good thing to motivate people," Lazarin said. "On the other hand, my mom's already learning English and she wants to. But if they discourage other languages, she might not get the help she needs."

The bill is expected to possibly surface next in Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee.

Chairman Pete Brungardt, R-Salina, isn't enthused about the bill.

"We'll do something with it, although I think it's certainly a confused piece of legislation at best," he said. "We'll hear it and give it a look."

Brungardt said the bill sends a mixed message - indicating its backers see "some perceived threat to their culture."

He said lawmakers instead should be doing "something substantive to improve people's lives."

English needs to be the official language. What does it take for politicans to understand that america needs to have an official language. Voting should only be done in America. If people cannot read English for voting then they should not be voting.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Stand strong Kansas!

English is the language of this country and the language of most of the civilized world. No group of whining Hispanics should tell us what language we can or cannot not have. They should have known that to begin with when they decided to sneak into this country illegally. We will not accommodate them with conversion of our own nationality. In fact we want to make it perfectly clear that if they want to be American citizens, they will assimilate into our culture. Speak Spanish in your homes if you must but don't tell us your language is necessary. It isn't! It won't be! and It shouldn't be!

And it is not America's function to attract Hispanic business!

"It's just a slap in the face to the Latino community," said Prieto. "You can put all the exemptions you want in there, but it's still taking a shot at other languages. Kansas has a chance to take the lead and not be so anti-immigrant."
    What wrong with you Prieto? English is what America uses, not Spanish or even Spanglish-
    but................ENGLISH

"It's a slap in the face" to Americans, that you dont seem to GET IT

For 400 years immigrants have come here from all over the world with many different languges and never has one group of people felt they should not learn English to fit into the culture of this country. I have never in my life seen such a demanding, whinning group of people from one nation . We will not let you take our language from us!! period. get over it! forget it!

We fought, we won, we paid Mexico for the land and we speak English, If you don't like it get out, infact if your illegal get out anyway!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

"It's just a slap in the face to the Latino community," said Prieto. "You can put all the exemptions you want in there, but it's still taking a shot at other languages. Kansas has a chance to take the lead and not be so anti-immigrant
    Why are the "Spanish only" speakers so arrogant that they tell everyone in this country they want it their way? This is not Burger King! Does the Hispanic population realize that this country is made up of dozens of different languages! Why is Spanish treated so freek'in special by our government? This country had more German immigrants than any other nation, yet we have never heard "press 1 for German or press 2 for English". Why are the other legal American immigrants tolerating the preferential treatment that Spanish is given. For heavens sake even the Italian Mafia spoke English. We all must unite! All languages, all cultures, all nationalities otherwise the government will try to pass off our views as racist, radical white people. The government is just as corrupt if not more than the European government our ancestor fled from and eventually defeated. What will it take? "Wake up America"
    The slap in the face goes to the majority of American citizens standing by and doing nothing to stop this outrageous behavior by government official pandering to one race!

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    For 400 years immigrants have come here from all over the world with many different languges and never has one group of people felt they should not learn English to fit into the culture of this country. I have never in my life seen such a demanding, whinning group of people from one nation . We will not let you take our language from us!! period. get over it! forget it!

We fought, we won, we paid Mexico for the land and we speak English, If you don't like it get out, infact if your illegal get out anyway!

I guess I type to slow you beat me to the punch!!! I think you said it better than I did! Great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by Leah
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS

I guess I type to slow you beat me to the punch!!! I think you said it better than I did! Great minds think alike!

We certainly were thinking alike, good Job leah!! to bad all of U.S. population doesn't get it! ehh!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I think all of those opposed to it or ambivalent need to pull a coin out of their pocket and try to understand what "e pluribus unum" means. And not put the coin back until they do understand it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The fact that our government is budgeting for this special group of illegals to learn English offends me. If I crossed the border of Mexico illegally and dared to open my mouth to protest anything at all about their culture, they'd probably line me up in front of a firing squad. Who the hell do these scumsuckers think they are? Funny how they stay here whining and complaining while risking life and limb to flee their homeland where they were treated like subhumans.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment