Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Homeland Security chief praises Mexico's fight against drug

Homeland Security chief praises Mexico's fight against drug trafficking

1:00 AM

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff praised the Mexican government's fight against drug cartels, but warned that there has been an "uptick" in attacks on Border Patrol officers by criminal gangs.

Chertoff spoke at a gathering of Cabinet-level representatives from the United States, Canada and Mexico to discuss security and economic issues in the Baja California resort of Los Cabos.

The Homeland Security secretary praised Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who has sent thousands of federal police and soldiers to outlying states to try to stem a wave of bloody battles and assassinations linked to disputes between drug cartels.

"I think the Calderon administration has done an exemplary job, a wonderful job, in tackling these organized criminal groups," Chertoff said.

But he noted that "we have seen an uptick in violence against our Border Patrol by these organized criminal groups."

A U.S. Border Patrol agent was killed in January when he was run over by a suspected drug smuggler.

Chertoff also pledged to move forward with innovations to safely speed border crossings.

"We are moving forward with a number of forms of identifying documents that ... will allow people to move more quickly through the border than they can now, and yet will be more accurate in identifying criminals," Chertoff said.

In February, the U.S. launched a "passport card" that will be the size of credit card and include security features.

"The key in the end is to use technology, ingenuity and planning to find a way to advance a border plan that allows the vast majority of travelers and traders to move unhindered," Chertoff said.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/article ... 1d71d3.txt
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff is nothing more than a glorified Barny Fife ...

although I had more respect for Barny Fife than I do this grossly incompetant Moron
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

right on

"Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff is nothing more than a glorified Barny Fife ...

although I had more respect for Barny Fife than I do this grossly incompetant Moron "

So right It's so sad that funny but true.
    <div>Do your job and enforce the law!
    Many thanks to the young that have served our country, and to those of you that have lost, we all owe you, thank you</div>

Another person in our GVT. that does not have a clue..