Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hospital costs: Parkland

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... b9669.html

Beatriz Aviles, 20, told a more complicated story about her travel from Mexico to Dallas, where she shares a large apartment with her boyfriend's extended family.

She met Cesar Chamu in Mexico more than two years ago, and he brought her to Dallas, where he had been doing landscape work since 2000. They paid a "coyote," or guide, $3,000 to get them across the Rio Grande by boat.

Although her advanced pregnancy made her unsteady on her feet, the young woman said she has tried to care for the two children who live in the large apartment and helped cook meals under the watchful eye of Mr. Chamu's mother and elderly aunt.

"Dallas is nice," [parasites find willing hosts "nice"] she said, although it was not clear how often Ms. Aviles was able to leave the apartment. She hasn't worked since she arrived in Texas in 2004.

Her pregnancy was uncomplicated but a bit frightening, she admitted. She was prone to waking her boyfriend in the middle of the night to complain about the kicking baby.

She ended up at Parkland because the couple had no health insurance and could not afford to go elsewhere. His landscaping job pays about $200 a week, just enough to cover basic living expenses and the couple's share of the $700-a-month rent.

Although they went to great lengths to sneak into Dallas, Ms. Aviles was born at Parkland in 1986, according to the birth certificate she recently obtained.

She is a U.S. citizen but could not prove it until she crossed the border from Mexico, where her mother had taken her shortly after her birth in the Dallas hospital. Her grandmother raised her.

On March 7, her daughter, Esmeralda, was born at Parkland after 10 hours of labor. The couple paid $100 toward the cost of the birth and was given a car seat for the ride home.

Their plans for the future include marriage, more babies and, hopefully, U.S. citizenship for Mr. Chamu, who wants to open his own landscaping business.

"My life is better here," Ms. Aviles said as she juggled the baby in her arms.

Parkland's obstetrics costs in 2004

Patients 18,351
    Days hospitalized 55,964
    Total cost $70,715,271
    PAYMENTS
    Medicaid $34,476,973
    Dallas County taxes $31,339,519
    Additional federal funds $9,514,523
    Other revenue $2,086,130
    Commercial insurance $823,608
    Parkland employee health coverage $348,040
    Self-pay $141,408
    Tobacco funds $104,059
    Medicare $90,444
    Losses due to payment delays $235,217
    Surplus funds $7,982,138
    Hospital's total budget $802,106,000
    County taxpayers' contribution $322,109,000

SOURCE: Parkland Health and Hospital System

Are you tired of these kind of costs!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To eveybody out there hanging in the backround yes you!! we invite you to...
    let your voices be heard, Its time to get involved, calls, faxes, and e-mails, post at the link below to let everyone know what you are hearing, it helps our leaders to make decisions on what steps to take next. Lets let congress know what real Americans Want!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=363412

Check out Operation Bring it Home also and get your home towns involved!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=63288

If anyone can't find information for contacting senators or not sure what to do, just ask, someone will help you, We have lots 0f nice people just waiting to help you!!

HINT: EASY WAY TO HELP OUT.....When you post on another site with good patriotic Americans leave behind a Momentous message, the link to ALIPAC ( http://www.alipac.us/index.php ).
    Any donations to help keep ALIPAC afloat will be much appreciated
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for the cost break down. Parkland is the hospital thatwe had to send my mother to. My folks are self employed and do not have health insurance. Parkland has a sliding pay scale for folks without insurance. Everyone of my mom's "room mates" was illegal. And we know this because the nurses told us this. They spoke no English, some of them had bad drugs that the brought with them from Mexico. I remember one doctor who was exsaperated with this one lady. He told her he was going to flush these down the toilet and do not let any of your relatives bring you any more.
    My mom caught an infection that she could not shake and eventually died there at the hospital. She was 54.
    The day we put her in the ground we received the bill from Parkland, $500,000!
    Needless to say my dad can't pay it. We can't prove it but I'm sure they were charging us for some of her room mates stuff.
    So my dad says they can stand in line behind the IRS and choke on it.

shes a legal american. yet had to pay?
    then couldnt pay the hospital???
    hmm i thought all americans were first asked "how you gonna pay"

guess if you look hispanic and are american they still wont ask nothing