Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

House GOP rebukes Senate bill

House GOP rebukes Senate bill
    By Jackie Kucinich
    June 27, 2007

House Republicans yesterday unveiled a resolution expressing their disapproval of the Senate immigration bill. It was offered by Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-Mich.), and simply read: “resolved the House GOP Conference disapproves of the Senate immigration bill.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

House Republicans: We'll Stop Amnesty Bill
    NewsMax.com Wires
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007

WASHINGTON — House Republicans rejected President Bush's sweeping immigration reform bill on Tuesday, passing a symbolic measure opposing the legislation.

The vote was 114 to 23, and it came after the Senate voted to revive a stalled immigration overhaul that would offer a path to citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants.

"Today's vote illustrates overwhelming opposition among Republicans in the House to the Senate immigration bill and the process in which it was developed," said House Republican Pete Hoekstra, according to Agence France Presse.

"It's dead on arrival in the House," Rep. Mark Souder, R-Ind. said of the Senate bill. "A comprehensive bill will not pass the House. There is significant Democratic opposition and overwhelming Republican opposition."

"There is, in fact, overwhelming opposition in the U.S. House to the Senate immigration bill," said Rep. John Shadegg, R-Ariz. "You will see an overwhelming vote in the House conference in opposition to the Senate bill and/or a letter signed by the overwhelming majority of House Republicans opposing this particular bill."

"The Republican Conference has always advocated for immigration reform, but the Senate bill is bad public policy that does not reflect our position."

"We are in the midst of democracy at its best," said House Minority Leader John Boehner, who said he warned the Bush White House of the coming House GOP uprising.

"I did discuss it with them, I thought it was my job to give them a heads up. I can't say they were happy about it," Boehner said of White House reaction. "But you can't throttle back debate in the House or debate in our conference. This is a big issue. We get questions about it all the time."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/article ... shtml?s=lh
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)