Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

House's vote on CAFTA draws near

http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles/20 ... news01.txt

News

House's vote on CAFTA draws near
    By Bill Vander Weele

Sidney Herald

A spokesman in U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg's office says a vote on the Central American Free Trade Agreement will most likely occur next week.

Brad Keena, spokesman for Rehberg, says the vote could take place either this week or next week.

"They will do it before the August break," Keena told the Herald on Monday. "I think it will be the last thing that they will do."

On the last day of June, the Senate passed CAFTA by a 54-45 margin. Both of Montana's senators, Max Baucus and Conrad Burns, voted against the trade agreement.

The agreement would allow the Central American countries of Guatemala, Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador an increase in their duty-free access to the U.S. sugar markets. In addition, it would phase out the most-favored nation's tariff, which is the only protection the U.S. sugar industry has against dumped sugar.

Keena said Rehberg was recently asked by a reporter from New Orleans if he will change his mind and vote in favor of the agreement after the administration made proposals to "fix sugar" prior to the Senate vote.

Keena said Rehberg's reply was, "If sugar groups aren't for it, I'm not for it."

Farmers Union reports agriculture leaders from across the nation are traveling to Capitol Hill to urge members of Congress to vote against the agreement.

Farmers Union state presidents will meet with members of their congressional delegations to ask them to oppose CAFTA. Farmers Union officials feel the outcome of the agreement will likely depend on just a few votes.

"In the coming days, we will be reminding Congress that this agreement resembles failed trade agreements of the past that encourage a race to the bottom for producer prices," said National Farmers Union President Dave Frederickson.

Keena feels the votes are still not in the House to approve CAFTA.

"I don't think it's going to pass, but that's just my opinion," Keena said. "That's just a prediction, I may be wrong."

editor@sidneyherald.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Keena, Dear, I sure hope you're right. And ALIPAC and FAIR and many others will be working hard to make sure it fails.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good for Denny Rheberg Montana's lone Congressman. Montana is sugar beet country from Billings as far away as Sydney! There is a sugar beet procesing plant in Billings for area farmers. the same co-op that is here in Colorado and BOB BEAUPREZ says he will vote for CAFTA! Beauprez is a fish in spite of that proposal to force extradition. Allard of Colorado voted for CAFTA too! Both republican fish!

And, Jack, they are at least DAY OLD FISH, aren't they? Eeeeeewwww!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn