Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

How illegal alien law will affect Arizonans

How migrant law will affect Arizonans

by JJ Hensley -
    Apr. 22, 2010 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic .

Questions continue to swirl about Senate Bill 1070, the wide-ranging illegal-immigration measure sitting on Gov. Jan Brewer's desk.

Kris Kobach is a University of Missouri-Kansas City law professor and advocate for strengthening local law enforcement's response to illegal immigration who helped write the legislation.

Gabriel "Jack" Chin is a University of Arizona law professor and constitutional-law expert who has spent years crafting other bills and thinks this law is poorly written.

Both took time Wednesday to answer questions about the legislation's practical impact on Arizonans.

Question: The law makes it a crime to conceal, harbor or shield an illegal immigrant. If I give a co-worker or student a ride home and an officer discovers the passenger is an illegal immigrant, can I be charged?

Answer, Kris Kobach: No. It's the same as in federal law: The person must know and recklessly disregard the fact that the person is an alien. The intent of the statute makes reference to transporting in furtherance of illegal presence. It's not just incidental or casual transporting.

Answer, Jack Chin: No, so long as you're not in violation of another law. And it's already a federal criminal offense to transport somebody who you know is an illegal alien, so it's not free from risk now.

Q: The law creates a charge of "willful failure to complete or carry an alien-registration document" for illegal immigrants. Do I need to have my ID card on me at all times in case an officer suspects I'm in the country illegally?

Kobach: This law does not require a U.S. citizen to carry any documentation. It's a crime under federal law to falsely assert U.S. citizenship. If the person merely asserts that he is a U.S. citizen, that's good enough. The false assertion of U.S. citizenship is a crime that carries a heavy penalty in federal law.

Chin: If the person was born in Mexico and doesn't have satisfactory identification, I would think there is probable cause to arrest that person for violation of this section: There is evidence they are not a U.S. citizen (foreign birth), they do not have any evidence they are authorized to live in the United States. . . . I would say the answer is: If you look Mexican or Hispanic or Asian or Black, then you should carry ID because there's already some evidence that you could fall into this category.
    Q: What constitutes "reasonable suspicion" that a person might be in the country illegally?

Kobach: Reasonable suspicion requires more than one factor. An example might be an individual traveling on a corridor known for alien smuggling and the fellow occupants in the vehicle are known to be unlawfully present in the United States. Merely being in a neighborhood where (drophouses) exist wouldn't be a factor in reasonable suspicion. Courts would be very reluctant to say everybody in this neighborhood already has one factor because they live there.

Chin: If the offense at issue is whether you're undocumented, the Supreme Court has said race is permissible (as a factor). If police see someone speaking Spanish, who appears to be Mexican, is in a Mexican neighborhood, they know from other situations this is a neighborhood where a high number of people are undocumented, that certainly looks like a basis to inquire.
    Q: Does the law allow local law enforcement
    to determine a person's legal status?

Kobach: No. The federal government does.

Chin: It's unclear. But it's pretty clear that the cops at least on the street are making the (initial) determinations, and that I don't think is particularly problematic. Local law enforcement has always been able to deal with the felonies, like re-entry after deportation. From a criminal-law perspective, the cop makes a determination of whether the white powder is heroin or how fast you're going. But (immigration status) is sufficiently complicated and not within the ordinary experience of law-enforcement officers.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... tions.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How migrant law will affect Arizonans
    It's not a "migrant" law - it's an illegal invader law.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    AZ RED ALERT!!!!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1046090.html#1046090

If your doing nothing wrong then it will have zero affect on you!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Again I would ask, if an American citizen is stopped for a violation of a law and doesn't produce identification can said citizen be lawfully detained?

I would think if you fail or refuse to communicate in english that would be suspect. but we are not just talking hispanics here. the border has been a scive fo immigrants from all over the world. this is not a law just to stop hispanics. it is a law to close the state from illegal immigration from anywhere. true we stop something like 400,000 a month but that is only estimated to be about 15% of those crossing. people in other state have no comncept of how bad this issue is here in arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Again I would ask, if an American citizen is stopped for a violation of a law and doesn't produce identification can said citizen be lawfully detained?
    Google this headline to read the answer

Are you required by law to present ID when asked by a police officer
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Google this headline to read the answer

Are you required by law to present ID when asked by a police officer
    Thanks JD2 I pretty much have seen all that before though. I know I don't have to produce ID if I haven't broken any law, my point is that having broken a law it is required. The AZ law still requires some law to be broken before ID is asked for. It's just OBL propaganda that an officer could simply stop some-one and demand ID.