Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Huckabee Hedges on Aid for Illegals

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3943214&page=1

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor who backed in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants, hedged Sunday on whether illegal immigrants who have gone to school in the United States should become eligible for federal student aid such as Pell grants and subsidized federal student loans.

"I'm not sure that I would support that," Huckabee told ABC News, "it was a different program in Arkansas."

"Gov. Romney does not support providing federal taxpayer-funded student aid intended for legal residents going to illegal immigrants," Romney spokesman Kevin Madden told ABC News. "Mike Huckabee's position [in Arkansas] that taxpayer dollars meant for students who are legal residents should also be made available to illegal immigrants puts him squarely at odds with the American taxpayer."

Echoing a line that Romney used against Huckabee in last week's CNN/YouTube debate, Madden added, "Mike Huckabee needs to understand that it's not his money. It's the taxpayers' money."

Huckabee's indecision on federal student aid was also criticized by the campaign of former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson.

"Children who are born in this country are U.S. citizens and entitled to the privileges of citizenship," said Thompson spokeswoman Karen Hanretty. "Those in our country illegally are not. It's that simple."

Huckabee appeared on "This Week" on the same day that a highly respected poll showed him as the new Republican leader in Iowa.

Huckabee leads the GOP field with 29 percent support, according to a Des Moines Register poll released Sunday. Romney has 24 percent, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has 13 percent, and Thompson has 9 percent. The Iowa Republican Caucuses take place on Jan. 3.

In-state tuition for illegal immigrants was never enacted in Arkansas. But Huckabee's rivals believe that his momentum in Iowa can be stopped once his views on public benefits for the children of illegal immigrants become more widely known.

Asked on "This Week" about his Arkansas record, the former Baptist minister said, "You don't punish a child because a parent committed a crime, or committed a sin, you just don't do it."

Huckabee did not rule out that his principle might extend to the federal level.

"It's the difference between being punished and being rewarded," said Huckabee. ". . . the point in Arkansas was, we had kids who had been in our schools, by law. And to simply shut them out of any additional educational advancement, to me, seemed not only in their worst interests, but ours, as well as the state's."

I am not sure is not good enough. Huckabee with bite the dust if he does not commit to ending illegal immigration.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

At one of the debates Huckabee commented that we should be a caring and loving nation (I paraphrase) and welcome everyone who comes here for a better life.

I find it difficult to believe anyone could do such a quick about face within the past six weeks.

What one will do to get elected President of the US.

I do not trust this man as far as I can throw him, minister or not. Bush/Clinton have enlightened us to the fact that Presidential politics are best accomplished thru lies and corruption. And I believe Huckabee is taking that same route.

This guy must be stopped.
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    I am not sure is not good enough. Huckabee with bite the dust if he does not commit to ending illegal immigration.
    Huckabee has committed to ending illegal immigration in the same way Rudy has committed to ending illegal immigration: By making illegal immigration a "human right" and no longer "illegal".

Ann Coulter agrees:

"On illegal immigration, Huckabee makes George Bush sound like Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO). Huckabee has compared illegal aliens to slaves brought here in chains from Africa, saying, 'I think, frankly, the Lord is giving us a second chance to do better than we did before.'

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=91495
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

why Huckaberry is even being considered given his stances on illegal immigration and taxes is beyond me. Huckaberry is HORRENDOUS... why isn't this stuff being put out all over in Iowa.. I mean, how do Iowans NOT know about this.. what the heck are they thinking supporting a clown like this. argghhhh... I mean, He is WORST of the bunch.... yikes.

I think it's because he is a minister. They think he knows the right thing to do and can be trusted. O.K. They're wrong. Around here it takes an awful lot to convince them a minister is bad news. Unfortunately this guy is trying to pocket a lot more than the funds for the poor. I live here and I haven't a clue how to wake them up.

George wasn't a minister before he went AWOL on the issue of even enforcing the borders, and going for his comprehensive immigration plan in May 2007; don't even give the Huckabee a second chance; he's not reliable if the misinformed in Iowa want to vote for him as the (R) candidate.

If you have any thoughts about the reverand Mr. Huck, as your nominee, just meditate deeply about the grief Mr. GW Bush brought to all during the first term of his presidency; "everyone trying to give hime the benefit of the doubt, as he didn't even attempt to enforce the borders, etc.,..

If you need to remind yourselves, of the pain, re-read Peggy Noonan's "Too Bad" piece in the WS Journal,

http://www.opinionjournal.com/column.../?id=110010148
    and recall the support by the elites, like Fred Barnes from his Fox News perch, and Hugh Hewitt from his radio microphone, to name a few as they supported "immigration reform" and all the agony that led to the great immigration battle of June, 2007. Follow your instincts that tell you don't support the media that tempts you to support Huckabee because he's a minister, or says he's a conservative, or gets a talking head to say he is; Huckabee will not fool me into support for him.
    Please consider signing up for NumbersUSA before the next "immigration" legislation is unleashed against the American public. http://www.numbersusa.com/index
    It's free and they will pre-prepare a