Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Huckabee vows to defy birthright citizenship

Huckabee vows to defy birthright citizenship
    By Stephen Dinan
    January 8, 2008

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee made a campaign stop yesterday at the Barley House in Concord, N.H. If he wins the presidency, he said, he intends to review the case against two Border Patrol agents who are serving lengthy prison sentences for shooting a fleeing suspect. (Associated Press)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens, according to his top immigration surrogate — a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.

Mr. Huckabee, who won last week's Republican Iowa caucuses, promised Minuteman Project founder James Gilchrist that he would force a test case to the Supreme Court to challenge birthright citizenship, and would push Congress to pass a 28th Amendment to the Constitution to remove any doubt.

The former Arkansas governor thinks the case against U.S. Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean was railroaded, Mr. Gilchrist said. Ramos and Compean are serving lengthy prison sentences for shooting a fleeing drug-smuggling suspect in the buttocks.

"I would make it my first act as president to pardon agents Ramos and Compean," Mr. Gilchrist said Mr. Huckabee told him. "I regret that they have spent yet another Christmas locked up in a windowless cell like animals and unable to be free and with their families."

Mr. Gilchrist, who campaigned with Mr. Huckabee in Iowa last week, said Mr. Huckabee explained his positions in a half-hour conversation on the campaign trail.

"I read back my notes to him twice and I told him I did not want to put words in his mouth," said Mr. Gilchrist, who also issued a press release from the Minuteman Project detailing Mr. Huckabee's positions. "The guy looked me right in the eye."

Campaign spokeswoman Kirsten Fedewa said Mr. Huckabee intends to review the case against Ramos and Compean as one of his first acts as president, but she didn't otherwise dispute Mr. Gilchrist's quotes as provided by The Washington Times.

Miss Fedewa said Mr. Huckabee and Mr. Gilchrest are "united by a mutual desire to end illegal immigration and are political allies toward that end."

Mr. Huckabee has defended his policies on illegal aliens while he was Arkansas governor. He pressed for illegal aliens to gain college tuition benefits, complained about federal immigration raids in his state and declined to have state police enforce immigration laws, although the state legislature gave him the authority to do so.

Mr. Huckabee now has adopted one of the strictest immigration platforms of any campaign. He has proposed a policy requiring all illegal aliens to return home and apply for immigration through legal channels.

His new position on birthright citizenship also puts him alone among the candidates. Many legal scholars say the 14th Amendment, which says "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States," grants automatic citizenship to any baby born in the U.S., except in diplomatic cases.

Members of Congress have never tried to change birthright citizenship by law. (Doesn't Ron Paul have a bill in Congress?)

Mr. Huckabee told Mr. Gilchrist that he supports a Supreme Court test case but also would encourage Congress to introduce a constitutional amendment to exclude from automatic citizenship any children born to illegal aliens.

Mr. Gilchrist endorsed Mr. Huckabee last month and has campaigned with him ever since. Mr. Gilchrist said Mr. Huckabee is the best candidate on the immigration issue still in the race and who has a chance of being the presidential nominee.

Others calling for stricter immigration policy have accused Mr. Gilchrist of opportunism and backing a bad candidate.

Brook Young, who runs ImmigrationWatchdog.com, produced a Web video criticizing Mr. Gilchrist's endorsement. Mr. Gilchrist fired back last week with an e-mail that appeared to threaten to publicly accuse the man of being a pedophile.

"I have been hearing on the blogs, over the telephone and through e-mails that you are a pedophile, Brook. Will that accusation also reach the news media soon?" Mr. Gilchrist wrote. "If the blogs and e-mails say so, then aren't you guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt?"

Mr. Young posted the e-mail on his Web site and said he had to go public because Mr. Gilchrist has exceeded the bounds of the immigration debate, "to promote and actually lie about Mike Huckabee and his immigration plan and his past record. Now we feel like we have to say something."

"It's crazy," he said. "You get e-mails from this guy and it's like this guy is truly out of his mind."

Mr. Huckabee has promised to run a clean campaign. William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee, said Mr. Gilchrist's campaigning reflects badly on Mr. Huckabee.

"He's an intrinsic front-row part of the campaign who's sending out e-mails to people who oppose Huckabee to try to lie about them," said Mr. Gheen, who has tangled with Mr. Gilchrist and is trying to block Mr. Huckabee from winning the Republican nomination.

Mr. Huckabee's campaign said the governor was not available to comment on the e-mail exchange.

Mr. Gilchrist said he was not accusing Mr. Young of pedophilia, but making a point about making up charges.

He also said he was not speaking on behalf of Mr. Huckabee when he sent the e-mail, and that the criticism pushed him to the limit.

"That was a private e-mail and what I was doing was setting up an example: 'This is what you've done to me, I'm not going to do this to you, but how would you like it if I did this to you?' " Mr. Gilchrist said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbc ... 98216/1001

"That was a private e-mail and what I was doing was setting up an example: 'This is what you've done to me, I'm not going to do this to you, but how would you like it if I did this to you?' " Mr. Gilchrist said.
    This is the most idiotic statement I've ever read.

As far as I'm concerned, Huckster and Gilchrist make a perfect pair. They're both habitual liars.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Huckabee has not publically made any of these promises or statements.

This is all hearsay and I don't believe anything Gilchrist has to say about Huckabee.

I need to check my e-mail.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ron Paul and Tancredo have Bills in the House to end Birthright Citizenship.

I have heard Huckster is starting to mimic Dr.Paul on some issues and even the press has noted he is doing so.

Dr. Paul has a TV Ad in SC about ending Birthright Citizenship,2 days later the Hucksters says he will end Birthright Citizenship.

Honestly I don't believe you can trust one word Huckabee says.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Don't believe a word Huckabee says on this issue. He cannot be trusted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens, according to his top immigration surrogate — a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.
    THAT IS NOT TRUE. DIDN'T ROMNEY, PAUL AND HUNTER ALL PROPOSE THE SAME THING?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    USPatriot wrote:

Ron Paul and Tancredo have Bills in the House to end Birthright Citizenship.
    Did you forget about The Birthright Citizenship Act of 2007, by Rep. Nathan Deal (R-GA), that would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate birthright citizenship - the bill that Ron Paul has not joined 89 other congressman (all Republican) to cosponsor? I've still yet to find out why he refused to cosponsor Rep. Deal's bill. Heck, Rep. Deal has singed, along with only 6 others, to cosponsor Paul's H.J. Res 46. Deal's bill has a lot better chance of passing than Paul's constitutional amendment.

Do you have the bill number available that Tancredo sponsored? I couldn't find anything on it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Mike Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens, according to his top immigration surrogate (is this Gilcrest??)— a radical step no other major presidential candidate has embraced.
    Huckabee was just on CNN with Wolff Blitzer and denied that he said he wanted to amend the Constitution to prevent illegal children born in the U.S. from automatically becoming citizens. He said the reporter did not check with his campaign to confirm this information before publishing it. But Blitzer said the newspaper told him that they did confirm the info. with Huckabee's campaign.

Looks like the lie is about to unravel.

Huckabee says no to birthright citizenship Constitutional amendment

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-577133.html#577133

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast