Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hundreds Protest Deportation Of Immigrant Activist

Aug 20, 2007 12:10 pm US/Central

Son, A U.S. Citizen, Left Behind To Stay With Friends
    Kristyn Hartman
    Reporting

(CBS) CHICAGO Hundreds gathered in Chicago Monday morning to protest the arrest and deportation of illegal immigrant and immigration activist Elvira Arellano.

She was whisked away to Mexico Sunday after her arrest in Los Angeles. Now immigration activists say they're fight is even stronger.

CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman was at the rally near the immigration offices here in Chicago. She reports that the demonstration was peaceful - yet forceful.

Dozens and dozens of people came to the corner of Congress and Clark to protest the deportation of Elvira Arellano. They support the 32-year-old woman who admittedly re-entered the country illegally to be with her son. Eight-year-old Saul Arellano is a U.S. citizen.

The two of them took refuge more than a year ago at Adalberto United Methodist Church in the Humboldt Park neighborhood to avoid her deportation.

Since then, Elvira Arellano has become the local face, the local symbol, for immigration reform. Last week, she left that church for the first time since seeking refuge to take her message on the road, knowing full well she could be arrested and deported under a 1997 order by federal immigration officials.

Arellano was indeed arrested in Los Angeles, outside a church where she was staying. Her son was there and witnesses say she was calm and kept her composure, speaking to Saul before she was taken into custody and sent back to Mexico.

Arellano's son is being cared for by friends here in Chicago.

It’s not the first time Arellano was deported. She came to Washington state illegally in 1997. She was deported to Mexico shortly after, but returned and moved to Illinois in 2000, taking a job cleaning planes at O'Hare International Airport.

She was arrested in 2002 at O'Hare and convicted of working under a false Social Security number. She was to surrender to authorities last August, but instead took refuge at a Humboldt Park church for more than a year before visiting Los Angeles over the weekend.

Rev. Walter Coleman, pastor of Adalberto Church, said he has spoken with Arellano since she arrived in Tijuana and that her spirits are good.

People at the rally echoed those sentiments.

“Her voice will not be silenced," said Lilia Paredes. "She will, from Mexico, from that border, give and continue to fight for the just cause of the Latinos."

Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd Ward), a fellow immigration reform activist, said, "Comprehensive immigration reform is not amnesty. We’re still saying we want to pay the fine, we want to learn English, we want to learn the Constitution. But there just needs to be a path towards citizenship."

Arellano's goddaughter, Tanya Lozano, said, “She's a strong woman and she fights for her people and she has no problem leaving. She's ready to fight, she's in the struggle and she'd going to stay in the struggle."

But Chicago resident Lisa Parker said immigrants should obey the nation’s laws. “Take your child with you, we'll send you some money. Do it the right way and come back in. Let's keep our laws, have some respect."

In a phone interview, Carmen Mercer, a spokeswoman for the Minutmen Civil Defense Corps, a civilian group that tasks itself with enforcing immigration laws, said, "I’m glad our government stepped up to enforce the law and deport someone here illegally. She should take the necessary steps to become a citizen. In the meantime, she can choose not to be separated from her child."

This story is far from over. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials are slated to have a news conference at noon in Chicago to discuss Arellano's arrest and deportation. In a statement, officials already said the arrest went without incident.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local ... 65510.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Ohhhh she is just fighting for Latinos?
    “Her voice will not be silenced," said Lilia Paredes. "She will, from Mexico, from that border, give and continue to fight for the just cause of the Latinos."
    And not for immigration for all illegal aliens!

Is La Raza on her back supporting her?
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

you'll notice the article has "hundreds" in it and not thousands or tens of thousands. sometimes, life hands your material.

This story is far from over. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials are slated to have a news conference at noon in Chicago to discuss Arellano's arrest and deportation. In a statement, officials already said the arrest went without incident.
    I think this is a stupid mistake. ICE should say nothing, just as they did over the last year. Why the hell do they feel the need to hold a press conference to explain why they finally upheld the law? They are only going to give her and her pro-illegal alien supporters attention. What I would hope to hear at this conference is "We are in the process of obtaining arrest warrants for all those who harbored her and aided and abetted her illegal presence."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In a phone interview, Carmen Mercer, a spokeswoman for the Minutmen Civil Defense Corps, a civilian group that tasks itself with enforcing immigration laws, said, "I’m glad our government stepped up to enforce the law and deport someone here illegally. She should take the necessary steps to become a citizen. In the meantime, she can choose not to be separated from her child."
    WHAT??? She should NEVER be allowed the opportunity of becoming a citizen of this country. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but immigration law does not permit this due to the fact she illegally re-entered AFTER her 1st deportation- Twice deported- a felony. I'm suprised to hear this kind of statement from a MCDC spokesperson.

...and millions applaud it!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    I think this is a stupid mistake. ICE should say nothing, just as they did over the last year. Why the hell do they feel the need to hold a press conference to explain why they finally upheld the law? They are only going to give her and her pro-illegal alien supporters attention. What I would hope to hear at this conference is "We are in the process of obtaining arrest warrants for all those who harbored her and aided and abetted her illegal presence."
    Right no conference is needed for a government agency doing its job for once! Can we have a conference for the IRS doing its job or the lack there of?
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

I READ THAT THERE WERE ONLY ABOUT 50 PEOPLE NOT HUNDREDS.

Banned
    I noticed the headline said 'hundreds' but the article itself said 'dozens and dozens'....

Probably no more than 50 showed up...

Quote Originally Posted by MAIA
    I READ THAT THERE WERE ONLY ABOUT 50 PEOPLE NOT HUNDREDS.
    I read that too. And this is while its fresh; their numbers and momentum can only dwindle. Now they just need to arrest the church ringleaders!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast