Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hunter - Presidential hopeful waxes conservative

Presidential hopeful waxes conservative
    Lawmaker addresses trade issues, abortion

By P.J. Reilly, Staff
    Intelligencer Journal

Published: May 08, 2007 1:50 AM EST

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. - U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter told a packed room of Lancaster County Republicans Monday night that he's a man with a plan.

If elected president in 2008, the California congressman vowed to:

Level the foreign-trade playing field, which he said currently favors China over the U.S.

Complete within six months the 854-mile security fence on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Never appoint a federal judge who supports abortion.
    A Republican candidate in the upcoming presidential primaries, Hunter was the keynote speaker Monday at the Lancaster County Republican Committee's annual spring banquet at Willow Valley Resort & Conference Center.

U.S. Rep. Joe Pitts of Kennett Square, who represents Lancaster County, introduced Hunter — an attorney and Vietnam War veteran — as someone who "shares the same values that we all hold here in Lancaster County."

Among those values is a strong work ethic, something Hunter believes is deteriorating in the United States because of China's foreign trade policies, which he calls "unfair."

Hunter, who was first elected to Congress in 1980, recalled how American manufacturing companies supplied the military during World War II with everything the armed forces needed.

"We really carried Eisenhower to victory in Berlin, and pushed the enemy across the Pacific," he said.

Yet, when Hunter, who serves on the House Armed Service Committee, went looking for an American company two years ago to provide steel armor plating for military vehicles being destroyed by roadside bombs in Iraq, he could find only one.

"In the old days, there were dozens" of companies that could have fabricated the plates, he said.

Many of those companies have relocated to China, where Hunter said the government refunds tax money to companies that export products from the country, while charging taxes to American companies trying to import products to the country.

"That's the factor that is sending American companies offshore," he said.

If elected president, Hunter plans to "stop China from cheating" on foreign trade and "make trading a two-way street between the United States and China."

Doing so will "make sure that American businesses can make a profit and workers can have access to good jobs," he said.

Hunter, who represents part of San Diego County, which borders Mexico, is probably best known as the author of the Secure Fence Act. The act requires the federal government to build a security fence along 854 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border, including stretches of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Hunter got the idea to build the fence after seeing how fencing helped keep drug dealers and other criminals from Tijuana from moving back and forth across the U.S. border into San Diego.

When San Diego built a fence in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hunter said, the city's crime rate fell by 53 percent.

Although the Secure Fence Act was signed into law by President Bush last fall, only 2 miles of the new fence have been built so far.

"If I'm elected president of the United States, I will complete that border fence — all 854 miles — within six months," he said.

Hunter said he is impressed by the dedication Americans have to "their country, their community and their fellow man."

"We believe in the value of human life," he added. "That's the basis upon which this country was founded."

One of the duties of the president of the United States is to appoint judges to the federal bench.

"If a candidate for the federal bench can look at a sonogram of an unborn child and not see a valuable human life … I will not appoint that candidate to the federal bench," Hunter said.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203887
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Screw abortion!

If we don't have a UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.......what the hell will this matter?

The SUPREME COURT has been so jerryrigged over the past 35 years that they're taking PROPERTY RIGHTS AWAY FROM AMERICANS.

Does anyone truly believe that the issue of 'abortion' will mean anything to anyone when we're beholden to INTERNATIONAL COURT & LAW and our SUPREME COURT is made moot thru the NORTH AMERICAN UNION?????
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    2ndamendsis wrote:

Screw abortion!
    The abortion issue is very important to a lot of American citizens. I realize there are other more pressing issues right now, but I don't think it's fair to say "screw abortion." It would probably have been better to just ignore that aspect of his speech and concentrated on the things that are importent to you. Just my opinion.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The POINT, MW.........is that nothing, abortion included, means a hill of beans if there is NO AMERICA! This is now the decision or choice, if you will, that each and every one of us must now make.

So, yup..........SCREW ABORTION. It's a major diversion and has been for decades. It's time for Americans to open their eyes to the truth and to understand that without sovereignty, we are smack dab in the middle of INTERNATIONAL COURT SYSTEM.

I really don't believe that this is difficult to understand.
    Especially since the INTERNATIONAL COURTS prefer ABORTION for the purpose of population control.

FYI: This is coming from a woman who is completely against abortion except for the health of the mother.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

All other issues aside, I'm getting sick of hearing about his fence, I want to hear in public more about the 20 million people here illegally, I want a commitment loud and clear in public what he's going to do about them, he doesn't seem to like to talk about it, and I have a problem with that.

Ok everybody remember this because everytime he speaks somewhere and does not speak of the 30 million illegals I'm going to just post the word (fence) and keep count

Rockfish where did you hear he was a member of the CFR?
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

SORRY, DUNCAN HUNTER IS NOT A MEMBER, I GOT MIXED UP WITH FRED THOMPSON, WHO IS A MEMBER, SORRY.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    SORRY, DUNCAN HUNTER IS NOT A MEMBER, I GOT MIXED UP WITH FRED THOMPSON, WHO IS A MEMBER, SORRY.
    I had a feeling thats who you were mixing him up with Your not the only one who's not perfect! count me in on that one.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

MW
    I can appreciate your enthusiasm on what's important to YOU (and me), 2ndamendsis, but everyone in this country is not of the same mind on every issue and the level of importance people assign to specific issues aren't alway in agreeance.

Hunter, Tancredo, and Paul are pro-lifers and as such will speak on the topic from time to time because they know it is important to appeal to the entire Republican base, not just those of us who have made illegal immigration and national security our priority issues.

It's your prerogative to think discussions regarding abortion are a "major diversion" (an opinion based on conjecture) if you choose, but you need to realize that it's a very real and important issue to some. Personally, I find attempting to marginalize the issue by calling it a diversionary tactic sort of offensive.

Now, can we get back to discussing illegal immigration and national security?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I can appreciate your enthusiasm on what's important to YOU (and me), 2ndamendsis, but everyone in this country is not of the same mind on every issue and the level of importance people assign to specific issues aren't alway in agreeance.

Hunter, Tancredo, and Paul are pro-lifers and as such will speak on the topic from time to time because they know it is important to appeal to the entire Republican base, not just those of us who have made illegal immigration and national security our priority issues.

It's your prerogative to think discussions regarding abortion are a "major diversion" (an opinion based on conjecture) if you choose, but you need to realize that it's a very real and important issue to some. Personally, I find attempting to marginalize the issue by calling it a diversionary tactic sort of offensive.

Now, can we get back to discussing illegal immigration and national security?
    The beauty of America! Independent thought

FACT: Voting "issues" rather than Voting with AMERICA's interest 1st at heart is the very reason why we are in this situation now.

Americans have been manipulated by ISSUES and we are now paying the price as will our children.

Doing the same thing will only end with the SAME RESULTS.
    I'm very willing to accept my past errors and learn the lesson from them and from history.........sure hope others are too.

SCREW ABORTION. That and a dollar will barely buy me a cup of coffee but it will NEVER SECURE AMERICA'S SOVEREIGNTY.
    {fact not opinion}

MW
    SOSADFORUS wrote:

All other issues aside, I'm getting sick of hearing about his fence, I want to hear in public more about the 20 million people here illegally, I want a commitment loud and clear in public what he's going to do about them, he doesn't seem to like to talk about it, and I have a problem with that.

KETV.com
    Related To Story

AP Image
    Republican presidential hopefuls on stage prior to presidential primary debate at the Ronald Reagan Library (l-r): Duncan Hunter, Mike Huckabee, Jim Gilmore, Mitt Romney, Sam Brownback, Ron Paul, Tom Tancredo, Tommy Thompson, Rudy Giuliani, and John McCain.

Immigration: Presidential Hopefuls' Positions

POSTED: 3:33 pm CDT April 27, 2007
    UPDATED: 3:59 pm CDT April 30, 2007

Voter interest in changing the nation's immigration laws remains high after the 2006 midterm elections, according to an April poll released by the National Immigration Forum and the Manhattan Institute, whose Tamar Jacoby assesses the issue's political weight in in this Wall Street Journal opinion piece.

The nationwide poll, conducted by Democratic polling firm Lake Research Partners and Republican polling firm The Tarrance Group, found that 75 percent of those polled favored what it described as a comprehensive change to immigration laws: better border security, tougher workplace enforcement, temporary work permits, and earned citizenship. It said the results are in line with a sampling of other recent polls taken on immigration issues published here (PDF format).

"Voters are clearly laying this issue at the feet of Congress and will not accept gridlock or partisan bickering. Doing nothing is not an option," said Frank Sharry, NIF's director.

Where do the candidates stand on immigration? Here's a snapshot.

Democrats

Biden

Sen. Joe Biden supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006, which included a guest worker program with a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who have worked in the United States for five years. The bill also provided money to increase border security and enforcement, made it unlawful to knowingly hire, recruit, or refer for a fee an unauthorized alien and established a temporary guest worker program (H-2C visa) with a three-year admission and one additional three-year extension.

Clinton

Sen. Hillary Clinton supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006. On her campaign Web siate, she says, "Our current laws fail by not providing adequately for our national security. Also as a result of our broken system, many families are forced apart, unable to reunite with their spouses, parents, children, and siblings because of a shortage of visas. Our current system allows unscrupulous employers to skirt our laws and exploit undocumented workers in the name of cheap labor . As a consequence of our broken immigration system, there is a huge drain on our state social services, including financial strains on our local and state law enforcement. The situation leaves us with a lot of tough choices. We have a system that is broken and we have to find practical but fair solutions to fix it."

Dodd

Sen. Chris Dodd Sen. Joe Biden supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006. "I agree with the President's stated goal of achieving comprehensive immigration reform this year," Dodd said recently in the Senate. "With over 12 million undocumented workers in our country, the American people expect Congress and this administration to find a workable solution to this longstanding problem -- one that protects American jobs and security while providing a pathway to earned citizenship for undocumented workers, many of whom play an important role in our economy. Unfortunately, last year, efforts to pass an immigration reform bill were blocked by the Republican-controlled House."

Edwards

When asked by The Associated Press on Jan. 25, 2004, whether the country should make it easier for undocumented foreign workers in the U.S. to gain legal immigration status, former Sen. John Edwards said, "We should reform the immigration system so there is a clear road map to legalization and citizenship for undocumented immigrants who work hard and follow the law. At the same time, we should work with our ally, Mexico, to better control the border and stop illegal trafficking."

Gravel

Former Sen. Mike Gravel told the New Hampshire Web site NH Insider, "The 10 plus million illegal immigrants living here should be put on the road to citizenship providing they do not run afoul of the law. To expel them would be national tragedy equaling the "Trail of Tears" of President Jackson. Our nation’s borders should not be fenced nor should they be militarized. We can beef-up the Border Patrol and the Coast Guard, if need be. However, the long term solution––and that is what really concerns us -- is the issue of helping Mexico and the Central American nations secure economic growth and prosperity at home. We need to do for them what American companies did for China. If they had jobs at home they would have little incentive to come here.

Kucinich

In a Jan. 25, 2004, interview with The Associated Press, Rep. Dennis Kucinish said was asked whether it should become easier for undocumented foreign workers in the U.S. to gain legal immigration status? "I will clear out the backlog in the naturalization process and offer immigrants a clear road map to citizenship. I will work with our partners in Mexico to normalize the flow of immigrants by forging an agreement on migration," Kucinich replied. He has supported a bill to assign up to 10,000 military personnel to assist in border control activities and has favored tougher sanctions on employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Obama

In a speech on the Senate floor in April 2006, Sen. Barack Obama said, "Millions of undocumented immigrants live and work here without our knowing their identity or their background. We need to strike a workable bargain with them. They have to acknowledge that breaking our immigration laws was wrong. They must pay a penalty, and abide by all of our laws going forward. They must earn the right to stay over a 6-year period, and then they must wait another 5 years as legal permanent residents before they become citizens. But in exchange for accepting those penalties, we must allow undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows and step on a path toward full participation in our society. In fact, I will not support any bill that does not provide this earned path to citizenship for the undocumented population--not just for humanitarian reasons; not just because these people, having broken the law, did so for the best of motives, to try and provide a better life for their children and their grandchildren; but also because this is the only practical way we can get a handle on the population that is within our borders right now." He supported the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006.

Paul

"We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals," Texas Rep. Ron Paul says on his campaign Web site. He does not support granting citizenship to illegal immigrants already living and working in the country. "Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws," he says. He has supported a bill to make it illegal to tip off Mexicans about Minuteman Project locations, and a bill that would require hospitals to gather and report information on possible illegal immigrants before hospitals can be reimbursed for treating them.

Richardson

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson supports comprehensive immigration reform. "I believe the American people are better than the demagogues think we are, and that the voters proved it on November 7th. The most extreme candidates lost across the country," he said on Dec. 7, 2006, in a speech at Georgetown University. "Congress should abandon the fence, lock, stock, and barrel," he said, adding that more border guards should be hired and trained, the best surveillance equipment should be made available to the military on the border, there should be "cash rewards for aliens who provide law enforcement with information on human traffickers and document forgers," and the government should work more closely with Mexico to find ways to foster an expanding exconmy in Mexico that does away with the need for Mexicans to emmigrate in the first place.

Republicans

Brownback

Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas currently makes no mention of immigration issues on his campaign Web site. He voted for a 2006 bill offering legal status to illegal immigrants subject to conditions, including English proficiency and payment of back taxes and fines. He also voted for border fence. In an April 12 interview he told The Associated Press, "I think you need the comprehensive reform, and you need enforcement, and you need to make the system simpler and allow more people in legally."

Gilmore

Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore supported a 2002 Southern Governor's Association resolution that would "provide an orderly, efficient way to import farm workers." Gilmore adopted a 2001 National Governors Association policy that asked Congress not to shift the cost of enforcing immigration laws to the states, and to "ensure that new immigrants do not become a public charge to federal, state, or local governments." On his campaign Web site, he said, "We will not be able to deal successfully with those who are in our country illegally until we have secured our borders and stopped the entrance of additional illegals. We must re-examine our existing immigration laws and develop a better program for temporary workers as well as requiring employers to verify workers are here legally."

Giuliani

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani favors tougher border controls and giving illegal immigrants already here an opportunity to earn citizenship. In the 1990s, Giuliani pushed for $12 million to start a city agency that would assist those seeking citizenship. He vigorously defended the city’s policy of forbidding city employees, including police and hospital workers, from asking a person’s immigration status. The New York Times quoted him as saying, "The anti-immigration issue that’s now sweeping the country in my view is no different than the movements that swept the country in the past." Past federal laws were part of "movements that encouraged Americans to fear foreigners," he said. In current speeches, he opposes deportation and favors tamper-proof identification cards.

Huckabee

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee favors allowing illegal immigrants to apply for legal status if they pay penalties, get guest worker permits, register with authorities and aren't allowed to jump in line ahead of other applicants. As governor, opposed banning state services for illegal immigrants. "There must be consequences for illegal actions for violation of our rule of law. I propose that such individuals should be required to register with state and federal authorities, receive guest worker permits, pay financial penalties and be given the choice of deportation or undertaking the process of lawful citizenship that does not allow them to cut in front of the line," he said on April 10.

Hunter

Rep. Duncan Hunter of California wants to deporting the millions of illegal immigrants now in the United States. He was also a sponsor of legislation authorizing construction of Mexico border fence. On his campaign Web site he says, "When you discover an effective deterrent to crime, you use it. I know fencing helps secure our nation's borders because criminal activity in every statistical category has been eliminated or decreased since we built the border fence in San Diego County."

McCain

Sen. John McCain of Arizona was a sponsor of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006, which included a guest worker program with a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who have worked in the United States for five years. The bill also provided money to increase border security and enforcement, made it unlawful to knowingly hire, recruit, or refer for a fee an unauthorized alien and established a temporary guest worker program (H-2C visa) with a three-year admission and one additional three-year extension. In a speech to GOPAC on Nov. 16, 2006, McCain said, "We can do all that is possible to defend our borders from illegal immigration, and affirm the rule of law. When we have made these improvements, we must still recognize that job opportunities here and poverty elsewhere in the world will still attract immigrants desperate to improve their lives, and who will use increasingly desperate measures to do so. We can devise a rational and fair process, which protects our security and affirms America's promise as a land of opportunity."

Romney

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has recently come out against the Senate bill sponsored by McCain, although he called it reasonable in 2005. Romney said he supports building a border fence with Mexico and stationing National Guard troops there, and favors penalties for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. In a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington on March 2, he said, "The current system is a virtual concrete wall against those who have skill and education, but it's a wide-open walk across the border for those that have neither."

Tancredo

Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado opposes legal status for illegal immigrants and says illegal immigrants will "self-deport" if businesses are penalized for hiring them and jobs are unavailable. "Millions and millions will return home, if the thing for which they came is not available. If you cannot get a job or social service benefits here, what do you do?" he said in an interview with The Associated Press on April 13. Tancredo also favors deep cuts in legal immigration. "We are destroying the concept of citizenship itself," Mr. Tancredo said at the April 2007 Lincoln Day Dinner for Republicans in Iowa. "America, and indeed Western civilization, are in a crisis."
    http://www.ketv.com/politics/13213188/detail.html

Looks like he wants to deport them. Plus, I never get sick of hearing about the fence because I'd like to see 2,000 miles of it get built. We can deport illegal immigrants until the cows come home, but in the end what good is it going to do with our borders wide open? For every thousand we deport there are probably several thousand more that enter. We need to secure our border pronto and what better way than a physical fence that is well monitored and patroled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast