Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I suspect DHS would like to keep their raids quite to prevent Pro-Illegals wrath for arresting those they deem "poor immigrants just trying to make a living".I believe my local commuinity does this since I hear rumblings of raids but only read about criminal Aliens being arrested.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    WhatMattersMost,

What matters most (no pun intended) is that we lose the effect, the effect that just may get others packing on their own. I heard somewhere that for every one illegal deported there are four others that leave on their own, in fear of getting deported themselves.

Which lawsuit?
    ITA. What bothers me the most is that people in Chicago are angry but seem to go the other way everytime the illegals have marches. I work downtown and everytime they have had a march I have scheduled my lunch breaks to go out and shout them down as they march coveted by the CPD (overtime taxpayer funded) and unmarked cars who guard them with their lives.

There was only one occasion where 2 or 3 others shouted them down with me, everybody else was going along their merry way as if it didn't matter that these people were here illegally.

Which lawsuit?
    The lawsuit filed againt Illinois by DHS.
    I know what you mean. Around here there is no shortage of people against the illegals, but there are so few to do anything about it. I guess that’s what sanctuary dose to the folks who really don’t need it. They get complacent, or feel they already lost so why bother. Or even worst, leave the battle to the next guy to fight for them. I’m hoping when it really gets down to it, that more folks will face the truth; and more people in Chicago will stand up. That is, if any are left by then?

The lawsuit; As far as I know it’s still in the court system, and will be for some time.
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

I first heard of the raids on channel 5's news around 6 yesterday. The only place I saw it was in the Chicago Tribune way in the metro section -with a misleading title.

Immigration raids harm children, report says

By Antonio Olivo

Tribune staff reporter

November 1, 2007
    Click here to find out more!

The federal government's escalating enforcement against illegal immigration is taking a heavy toll on children, a report released Wednesday argued.

For every two adults arrested in workplace raids, one child is left without proper care or psychological support, creating lingering trauma with potentially broader social effects, according to the report by the Urban Institute and the National Council of La Raza.

The report came out the same day 23 workers were picked up in a raid in Joliet, officials said. The arrests Wednesday were part of an ongoing investigation into a Bensenville job contracting firm and part of an intensifying crackdown against illegal hiring that has boosted arrests nationwide nearly tenfold since 2000, with nearly 5,000 so far this year.

The Joliet arrests showed how complicated family fallout can be. One day laborer arrested was a mother who had been ordered out of the country previously, an offense that mandates immediate deportation proceedings without release, said Gail Montenegro, a local spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The woman's 18-year-old daughter, also arrested Wednesday, was released on her own recognizance so she can care for her teenage sister, Montenegro said.

The report by the Urban Institute and the NCLR focused on 900 adults arrested during three workplace raids -- in Greeley, Colo., Grand Island, Neb., and New Bedford, Mass. -- this year and last year, affecting 500 children, most of whom were U.S. citizens 10 years old or younger.

According to the study, adults were often not allowed proper access to telephones to arrange for child care before they were deported.

As more arrests continue, the report's authors recommended that federal immigration officials be more attuned to child-care problems that surface after a parent is deported. Among other things, they called for advance warnings to social service agencies prior to raids.

Although immigration officials have shown some sympathy to family predicaments, "They could do better and they could do it more consistently," said Randy Capps, a senior researcher at the Urban Institute who co-wrote the report.

Montenegro said that typically, "Anyone we take into our custody has multiple opportunities to raise concerns about any humanitarian issues."

But, she added, negative effects felt by families "must lie squarely on the person who violated the law and not the agency that is mandated to uphold the immigration law."

Still, the potential impact on children carries broader social repercussions, touching extended families, churches and neighbors who try to shoulder the burden of care, Capps said.

The report found that some single parents were kept in jail hours after school let out and, in some cases, overnight, leaving local school officials to figure out what to do with the students.

Several children expressed feelings of depression or abandonment that could later lead to deeper problems in school or elsewhere, Capps said.

"We don't know the extent of that yet, and we don't know what the longer-term consequences are," he said.

In Joliet on Wednesday, some children were trying to figure out what was going on.

Mario Monroi is the adult nephew of a worker arrested in the raid, Jose Garcia. Monroi said he and other relatives in Chicago plan to pool resources to try to help Garcia's wife and 10-year-old daughter.

"He was the one who was taking care of practically everything for them," Monroi said. "The girl is really sad. ... She thinks her father has gone -- who knows where?"

-----------

aolivo@tribune.com

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/north ... 6806.story
    chicagotribune.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks fed up, I hadn't seen that one. If LaRaza has their meeting here, I want to get together with you MadInChicago, crazybirdand anybody else on here that can come to Chicago. Hopefully they will be here over a weekend that way nobody will have to miss work.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Here is a follow up article in Hoy Chicago on the raid. I pick up the free Hispanic papers every Friday. There is a picture of Margaret Carrasco in a lovely lime green outfit -she is a Waukegan activist who has sued our city several times. The picture is not on the internet, shame...

Here is the google translation.

By Leticia Espinosa Diario Hoy 312 527.8436 lespinosa@tribune.com

November 2, 2007
    Chicago --
    Loading a bag with $ 5.000 that got delivered, Mary Sochil met with representatives of Senators Barack Obama and Richard Durbin asking them to intervene in the case of 23 undocumented workers arrested by Immigration Wednesday morning.

"We come to seek clemency for our families that could be separated by deportation," said Sochil before entering the federal building.

The husband of Sochil Jose Alfredo Garcia, is the father of a girl of 10 years and resides in the United States over the past 20 years.

Those arrested by ICE were employed by the temporary employment agency Anna II, Inc.. , Based in Bensenville. And according to the ICE operation was conducted after receiving "specific information that the company hired illegal workers."

Yesterday, Gail Montenegro, a spokesman for the federal agency, said that the 23 arrested (22 of Mexican origin and a Dominican) 11 have the right to leave on bail, signed a voluntary departure, a woman is arrested because re-entered the country illegally after if deported, and 10 refused a hearing with a judge so that they will be sent to their country of origin, said the spokeswoman.

Sochil and the wife of another of those arrested by the Audit Bureau of Immigration and Customs (ICE) in Joliet, accompanied by activists Margaret Carrasco of Waukegan and the Rev. Jose Landaverde, left the offices of senators hopeful.

"Obama's office told us that they will review the cases and to help us in what we can," said Carrasco.

While in a written statement, Obama's office said it "recognizes that the immigration system is outdated and the enforcement of laws by themselves is not the solution."

He added that it is working to generate bipartisan support for an immigration policy that give a path to earned citizenship to undocumented and to ensure legal and orderly immigration system.

For its part, in a written statement Durbin said that "only through a comprehensive immigration reform could be permanently remedy the injustice of our immigration system."

Sochil hoped that her husband was released today, said he is the sole breadwinner. "

"The only thing I ask (Obama and Durbin) is that touch the heart and do something for immigrants. We are not criminals, we only looking for a better life, to move forward with our families, we had to emigrate because in our country there is no way forward, "he said.

http://www.hoyinternet.com/noticias/loc ... 0526.story
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12