Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ICE may refuse to accept illegals from Arizona

Updated May 21, 2010
    Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

FOXNews.com

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.

In response to Morton's comments, DHS officials said President Obama has ordered the Department of Justice to examine the civil rights and other implications of the law.

"That review will inform the government's actions going forward," DHS spokesman Matt Chandler told Fox News on Friday.

Meanwhile, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

Morton, according to a biography posted on ICE's website, began his federal service in 1994 and has held numerous positions at the Department of Justice, including as a trial attorney and special assistant to the general counsel in the former Immigration and Naturalization Service and as counsel to the deputy attorney general.

Border apprehensions in Arizona, where roughly 500,000 illegal immigrants are estimated to be living, are up 6 percent since October, according to federal statistics. Roughly 6.5 million residents live in Arizona.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05 ... d-arizona/

It's not just Arizona, it's from your local jail too.

When they have served their time, ICE will refuse to pick them up, even though they have an Immigration Hold on them.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Then Class Action law suits and firings need to be brought against the supervisors who are getting paid by taxpayers but refusing to do their jobs!!

If you fail to comply and do all that is required of you in your job description, that's grounds for punitive actions and possible firing! Same thing should apply to government jobs within ICE!
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

I think ICE is doing this...because let's face it.....if the states all take on an AZ style law, they can do the job themselves. Then why will we need ICE? So this new DIY atmosphere is a threat to them. If the states move in the direction of enforcing immigration laws within their own state, then they can also set up programs to deport. And I believe they will move in this direction. Hey ...they only need some buses and a tank of gas/driver. Maybe the states can get together and have a co-op whereby the northern states start a convoy which picks up illegals on their way to the border. All the states could contribute to the cost.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I DEMAND

I DEMAND MORTON BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY! This man should not be working for us (obviously, he himself has chosen not to)

Just when I think our Federal Government can't disgust me any more, someone like Morton comes along and proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    I think ICE is doing this...because let's face it.....if the states all take on an AZ style law, they can do the job themselves. Then why will we need ICE? So this new DIY atmosphere is a threat to them.
    Because this "DIY approach" by various states just may well catch on...you'd think that ICE would be compelled to get to work and show some real tangible outcomes and try to justify their existence? They're about as useful as tits on a boar now anyway...I think that whole department needs to be gutted! Funding it is like throwing money down the toilet!
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

ICE is making up their own laws now instead of following the 1996 Immigration laws.

No where in our Inmmigration laws does it say "Only Deport Dangerous Criminals or "ICE Can Refuse To Deport any/all IA's".

Seems this is dereliction of duty on their part. Surley Congressional members can force them to do their duty or fire them.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Jan Brewer said she'll just keep them in jail until they do pick them. It would be kind of funny to see an illegal spend a year in jail for a taillight being out.

As for Morton, he's a disgrace to this country and needs to be fired immediately. It's his job to enforce ALL immigration laws, not just the ones he chooses to because he has a different political opinion. You can bet this is coming right from the top in the Obama administration because it's not just Arizona. ICE has been ordered to stop enforcing most of the immigration laws across this country since Obama took office. Obama needs to be impeached for refusing to secure this country.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Jan Brewer said she'll just keep them in jail until they do pick them. It would be kind of funny to see an illegal spend a year in jail for a taillight being out.

As for Morton, he's a disgrace to this country and needs to be fired immediately. It's his job to enforce ALL immigration laws, not just the ones he chooses to because he has a different political opinion. You can bet this is coming right from the top in the Obama administration because it's not just Arizona. ICE has been ordered to stop enforcing most of the immigration laws across this country since Obama took office. Obama needs to be impeached for refusing to secure this country.
    LOL!! Maybe there will be illegals calling ICE and BEGGING them to be deported...so they can get out of jail.

ICE may

Isn't Morton the guy who admitted not filing I-9 forms for his lawn and housekeepers?
    This is not news. ICE routinely orders the release of illegal immigrants caught in traffic stops. The local police have to let van loads of 20 illegals go on their way, cuz ICE will not take them.
    Lets help Arizona charter buses to the Mexican Border. At least 10 a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast