ID theft, but why no deportation in Kane?http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=65423&src=

It would appear that we have Ted Kennedy as the Kane County state's attorney.

I am referring to the Oct. 23 article about Felipe Osornio, an illegal alien who was not only portrayed as a nice man, but given a sentence to match.

First, the issue of identity theft. Surely a man who borrowed more than $200,000 using the Social Security number of a 14 year-old California girl needs a stiffer sentence than two years' probation.

If we are even going to get a handle on this problem, we'll need to send a stronger message than that. Assistant State's Attorney Brian Mirandola's statement indicated Osornio was a decent, hard-working, man of faith who simply came here for a better life. So we should wink at the fact that he is here illegally and used someone else's identity to live here?

"(The defendant) did it basically to live, to work, to get a house and car loan," said Mirandola, who added: "I think it's a fair disposition (of the case)."

Is that the official position of the Kane County state's attorney? Apparently so, since no one in the courtroom seemed too interested in pursuing the matter of his immigration status. As a citizen of Elgin, I am appalled.

The correct approach would be to contact ICE immediately upon arrest and flag Orsonio for deportation. The information should be made known throughout the legal/penal system to prevent his release. And if ICE refuses to issue a detainer hold, it is the state's attorney's responsibility to make that fact known to the public. Political pressure for removal is his responsibility.

I know he may feel ICE is an ally and he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. But that would only show the priorities are the good old boys, not the citizens.

New Jersey has issued a law enforcement directive requiring all police agencies in the state to check immigration status and report it to ICE for all indictable offenses and DUI arrests. Why? Because it protects citizens from the likes of Jose Carranza.

Colorado has a 100 percent screening/reporting law, too. Why is the Kane County State's Attorney's Office unwilling (or unprepared) to deal with illegal alien criminals in custody?

What does someone have to do in Kane County to get themselves deported?

Doug Heaton

Elgin