Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IDAHO: Illegal immigrants paying instate tuition

Illegal immigrants paying instate tuition
    Story Created: Feb 19, 2008 at 3:56 PM MST
    By Callie Zanandrie

BOISE - Remember Juan. We introduced you to this sophomore at Idaho State University on Monday.

"I just want to graduate and try and help my parents out," said Juan, a Idaho State University student.

But, Juan admits he's an illegal immigrant and illegal immigrants are not suppose to be paying in-state tuition.

Juan says he pays in-state tuition even though he doesn't have his green card.

"Well, the colleges don't really check what your status is," said Juan.

Even though Juan is an illegal immigrant he actually can get away with paying for the less expensive tuition.

"Idaho law states that if your parent is a resident of Idaho, then you can pay in state tuition," said Ramon Silva, Boise State University assistant director of the admissions office.

And that's the deal for Juan he's undocumented, but his parents do have their green cards.

"I think it would be surprising to most folks that the very student they think has been here for 15 years and is a citizen, might not be," said Silva.

Boise State University gets so many questions from undocumented students, they created a pamphlet and the school hands them out to every high school when recruiting students.

"We take all students at their word. That they are providing us with the truth. For admission, a student would not be caught. We don't research. We don't ask for documentation and such," said Silva.

BSU says undocumented students cannot apply for financial aid and the school says it has no plans to change it's policy.

BSU says it's campus is open to anyone who can afford the tuition.

http://www.2news.tv/news/local/15777547.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks "Populist" will send this to my senators we have been going around and around about this in state tuition!GRRRRR

>>>>>>>>>>>"RED ALERT"<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Utah HB 81...Need calls now!!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-104592.html
    Utah "HB239" and Indiana" SB335".... Call, e-mail campaign!!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopic-103479-days ... asc-0.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)