Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

100,000 protest immigration bill Marchers block streets in Chicago to oppose curbing of illegal aliens
    Posted: March 10, 2006
    5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Protest in downtown Chicago today (Courtesy WLS-TV, Chicago)
    An estimated 100,000 people gathered in downtown Chicago today to protest a bill in the U.S. Congress that would tighten immigration laws.

Police say many streets have been blocked in the city's central Loop, reports WLS-TV in Chicago.

The bill prohibits any offer of assistance to an illegal immigrant.

Opponents, including illegal aliens, congregated at the Chicago Federal Center, complaining the measure discriminates against illegal residents and robs them of a chance at the American dream.

Chicago protest (Courtesy WBBM-TV, Chicago)

"I guess we're only here for cheap labor. It is not right. We are only here for more military. We can do everything but be citizens and have civil rights," said Juan Zavate, according to WLS.

A doctor and immigration reform activist, Sean Gavin, complained the bill would make giving aid and health care to an illegal alien a felony.

"We, as doctors, going to be jailed have felonies because we're helping the people? This is what we have committed our lives to – to helping the people," he said. "You can't take it away from us, you can't legislate it away from us. We won't stand for it."

Chicago rally (Courtesy WBBM-TV, Chicago)

Supporters of bill said they are accused unfairly of being bigots and insist the country's resources are for legal residents.

"We have always been called racist, but it has nothing to do with racism," said Carmen Mercer, Minuteman Civil Defense Corps. "This is a national security issue, a public safety issue."

An illegal alien at the rally, Celina Nunez, said many parents who are not citizens have children who are, and the bill "will cause them to be separated and it is not fair because citizen or not, we have rights. And we want to live the American dream, not just Americans."
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Opponents, including illegal aliens, congregated at the Chicago Federal Center, complaining the measure discriminates against illegal residents and robs them of a chance at the American dream.
    What? Laws that discriminate against the people who are actually breaking the law, what a travesty. And how dare we "rob" the American Dream from people who are trying to "rob" the American Dream.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

It was a busy day, I did a lot of things today, plus spent a lot of time at ALIPAC. We're having a sleep-over, and I had to pick up one of the kids. I thought, "Okay, now I'm going to forget illegal immigration for the rest of the night. " I get in the car, turn on the radio and I hear:

"100,000 ILLEGAL ALIENS PROTESTING IN CHICAGO !!"

I said to myself, you know, this is so infuriating...and I cannot help but to direct my anger at George Bush. He should be on TV saying something about how wrong this is.

So, when I arrived at our little friend's house I was going to wait in the car for her to run out. I noticed that her parents (who I know well) were having a little get together with some other couples. I decided the news was too "interesting" to keep to myself. I got out, went inside and after the usual greetings, "I said, "You know I just had to share with all of you what I just heard on the news." They said, "WHAT?"

"In Chicago there are 100,000 illegal aliens protesting right now."

They said, "WHAT??!!" I said, "Yes, can you believe that ?"

They all just looked at each other, then one of the men (a police officer, by the way), said, "@!#$#@!#@#$$@@!! I've just about had it with this !!"
    The others began to join in and I started to hear "!@#@#$%%$#"

I said, "Come on girls, I think we better get out of here !!"

I guess you could say, I livened up the party, because when we left they were going into an UPROAR over it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/14069116.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 10, 2006

Tens of thousands march in downtown Chicago in support of immigrant rights

NATHANIEL HERNANDEZ
    Associated Press

CHICAGO - Tens of thousands of immigrants from throughout the Chicago area, many carrying U.S. flags, marched into downtown Chicago on Friday in a show of support for immigrant rights.

Shouts of "Si se puede" (Yes, it can be done) could be heard throughout city streets as marchers descended upon the plaza across from the Dirksen Federal Courthouse, where they listened to speeches voicing support for pro-immigrant legislation and opposition to a measure that would toughen penalties for illegal immigrants.

"Raise those American flags!" shouted U.S. Rep Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill. "This is our country, and this is where we will stay."

The peaceful marchers stood shoulder-to-shoulder at the plaza. Some carried signs that read "Keep our Families Together," "No human being is illegal" and "Do not criminalize the American dream."

Abigail Marquez, 35, said she came to the rally with her husband and teenage son to express her support for Latino issues.

Marquez, a native of Guadalajara, Mexico, said she did not expect so many people to participate in the march, organized by dozens of activist groups.

"I had no idea. There are just so many people here," she said in Spanish. "I feel very happy because it shows that we are all united."

From a platform, Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich addressed the massive crowd in Spanish, telling them that he is the son of immigrant parents and understands the issues that are important to them.

His proclamation that "Ustedes no son criminales. Ustedes son trabajadores" (You are not criminals. You are workers) elicited loud cheers.

Hours later, marchers still thronged streets in the city's downtown business district, sometimes clogging streets and preventing vehicle traffic from moving.

The rally came as the U.S. Senate struggles with a bill to stiffen border enforcement and a new report estimates the illegal immigrant population has grown from about 8.4 million in 2000 to nearly 12 million.

The Illinois Minuteman Project, which is affiliated with a national volunteer civilian border patrol group that aims to stem illegal immigration, held a news conference before the march began to speak out against it.

Rosanna Pulido, the group's state director, said she doesn't want to see Chicago become "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants.

"There are 14 million underemployed Americans. Don't they have the right to have a better life and support their families? Let's give them an opportunity because this is their country," she said.

The march began at noon at a park several miles west of the downtown Loop business district. Police estimated that more than 75,000 people marched into downtown, sporadically shutting down traffic in the Loop and many surrounding streets.

Students and housewives pushing strollers marched side-by-side with construction workers, mechanics and senior citizens. Some marchers called out the names of their neighborhoods or suburbs; communities across northern Illinois were represented.

One worker said he hadn't seen that many people in the Loop since a ticker-tape parade was held for the Chicago White Sox after they won the 2005 World Series.

"In terms of a protest, I've never seen anything this big. I'm impressed by the magnitude," of the crowd, said Tom Bonk.

But one person who wasn't impressed was Pulido, who said that the demonstrators were essentially promoting illegal immigration.

"What it means is that 75,000 people marched for lawlessness in Chicago," she said.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellevill ... 069944.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 10, 2006

Quotes from Friday's Immigration Rights March

The Associated Press
    Associated Press

Some quotes from the immigration rights march in downtown Chicago on Friday afternoon that police say drew more than 100,000 people to the plaza across from the Dirksen Federal Courthouse.

---

"No one should ever turn their backs upon immigrants (in) this day and age." - Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

---

"I wasn't surprised because I know that when it comes to being Latino, we are a very passionate race of people and I had no doubt in my mind that there would be this many people here." - 23-year-old Chicago State student Jacqueline Diez, commenting on the tens of thousands that marched.

---

"There are 14 million underemployed Americans. Don't they have the right to have a better life and support their families? Let's give them an opportunity because this is their country." - Rosanna Pulido, the state director for The Illinois Minuteman Project, which is affiliated with a national volunteer civilian border patrol group that aims to stem illegal immigration. The group held a news conference before the march began to speak out against it.

---

"I thought it was fantastic. I think it's great to see so many people protesting this immigration bill. If it goes through, it's a bill that is going to deny a lot of people their basic human rights." - Wayne Schimmelmann, 56, who walked amid the marchers on his way to an appointment in downtown Chicago.

---

"What are Americans going to do without the Latin people? We do the jobs white people don't want to do." - Mario Leguizamo, 21, of suburban Cicero.

---

"As indigenous people, we are not immigrants. ... When we talk about homeland security, we really needed that in 1492." - Alma Montes, a member of an Aztec dancing group that performed near the rally.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Do you think you could get 100 people out to march against illegal immigration?

Me neither.

If they've got 100,000 in Chicago, they'd get 1,000,000 in LA.
    Floyd, you are right. I was shocked when I heard that number. I had to wait until the news came on again to be sure I'd heard it right.

We can barely get 500 anti-illegal alien supporters together.

But why in thunder didn't ICE get up there and arrest at least some of them?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But the thing is, remember the other protest we were discussing, and what the ACTUAL effect was going to be ? We said we thought the American people would not react well to this. If you ask me, we were right.

Vicente is probably calling Jorge tonight and asking, "When do you think you can get that guest worker plan in, Senor ?"

Jorge's probably saying, "Listen, you moron, I'm almost out of my job as it is, get your people back in the shadows, FAST !!"

Seriously. You know he knows this is not going to be a sight that will boost his ratings, that'as for sure.

Actually, Jorge is flying down to Mexico March 30 to get his instructions from el Supremo in person.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

You've got to be kidding. HE'S going to Mexico ? I always thought he was too chicken to go there. First the Middle East, now Mexico.

What's he trying to prove.
    That he can go anywhere ? Anyone could go anywhere with all that security.

Big deal. All it does is cause a lot of security headaches for a lot of people. He aught to stay at his desk and do some work.

Wait a miunute. On second thought maybe he shouldn't do that, no telling how much trouble that could bring US.

If all the "immigrants" are here to work and support their families, an awful lot of jobs went unfilled during this rally. ????
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaConservative
    A whole 100,000? Big deal. The silent majority is on our side.
    That's the problem, they are silent. I bet 99% don't even call their Congressperson or Senator, no matter how mad it makes them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast