Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

IL-Immigration Remarks Land Mark Kirk On A Condom In New Ads

Immigration Remarks Land Mark Kirk On A Condom In New Ads

Ben Goldberger
    First Posted: 09- 1-09 10:22 PM | Updated: 09- 1-09 10:42 PM

A two-year-old comment from U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk suggesting that condoms could help reduce the illegal immigration of Mexicans to America is again an issue as the North Shore Republican campaigns for President Obama's former Senate seat.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, a Chicago-based immigration reform advocacy group, is releasing a Spanish language radio ad Wednesday taking aim at Kirk for his 2007 remarks.

"I wonder what goes on inside the mind of a Congressman when he states that the solution for immigration is to send condoms to Mexico!," a voice says in Spanish as babies cry in the background. "Yes, he said that! I know it is hard to believe but Congressman Mark Kirk has suggested on the floor of the US Congress that the solution to illegal immigration is sending birth control to Mexico!"

The ad, which also knocks Kirk for his vote in favor of the 2005 "Sensenbrenner Bill" that would have made undocumented immigrants felons, centers on Kirk's remarks during a Congressional debate on donating contraceptives abroad. (Printed ads, in both English and Spanish, show Kirk's face on a condom wrapper.)

"A slower rate of growth of Mexico's population would improve the economy of Mexico," Kirk said then on the House floor, according to Reuters. "It would also reduce the environmental pressure on Mexico's ecosystem. But a slower rate of growth would also reduce the long-term illegal immigration pressure on America's borders."

It turns out Kirk's rationale wasn't exactly accurate. Reuters reported that fertility rates have been declining in Mexico over the last 25 years, with the country's 2.5 children per couple rate in 2007 nearly on par with the 2.1 in the United States.

The ICIRR, however, seized on what it perceives to be Kirk's flippant solution for our immigration debate.

"Tell Congressman Kirk that what our nation needs is a workable immigration solution," the ad says, "and a path to citizenship for the undocumented."

Kirk, who is expected to easily win the Republican nomination for the seat, held a narrow lead over State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, the Democratic front-runner, in a recent Rasmussen poll.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/0 ... 74617.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well, I'd prefer handing out condoms to Mexicans in the U.S. - fewer anchor babies.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We have people in America, on welfare, that don’t use condoms. Either by accident or on purpose, they are making babies. Condoms are free, if you know where to go, so it’s not a matter of finances. People who can’t afford children continue to have them here. What are the odds that the people of other countries would use them if provided?

Having an anchor baby is getting free money from others. Illegal aliens come here and get free deliveries and other benefits for their anchor babies. I don’t see the incentive to use condoms or any other method of birth control.
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Reuters reported that fertility rates have been declining in Mexico over the last 25 years, with the country's 2.5 children per couple rate in 2007
    Why? Because so many of their people of child baring age have illegally migrated to the USA in the past 25 years! If the government had the balls to do an actual study of how many children those Mexican IAs are having here I bet the average is probably about 5.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)