Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL:sob Immigrants doubt city's promise of restraint w/ 287g

Our local reporter always forgets to put 'illegal' before his immigrants. The heat is rising in Waukegan. If the council can stick with it we may see an exodus. Watch our community. As our mayor said -we may be a guiding light for our towns. The police chief keeps saying, this is only to take the criminal element off the streets --so if you have nothing to hide what are you worried about?! Ask your council today to apply for 287g. The mere discussion of it may get the desired outcome.

Immigrants doubt city's promise of restraint with deportation powers

'I don't believe it'

(http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article)

June 22, 2007

By RYAN PAGELOW rpagelow@scn1.com

More than 200 immigrants opposed to Waukegan police performing federal immigration functions met Thursday night at St. Anastasia Church in Waukegan.

They came to vent their frustration at the City Council's decision to allow Waukegan police to seek training and authorization from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to initiate deportation proceedings of criminal offenders.

The people gathered at the church did not believe earlier statements from city and police officials that the trained officers would only use the deportation powers to remove alien felons.

"I don't believe it," said Veronica Rios, a Waukegan mother of two.

She pointed to the city's vehicle seizure ordinance, which originally authorized police to impound vehicles used in narcotics trade and prostitution. Then it was expanded to include people caught driving without a driver's license.

"They say they're only going to go after criminals, but they're going to go after everybody. The clearest example is the $500 fine (vehicle seizure ordinance)," Rios said.

The perception of those at the meeting is that undocumented immigrants will be targeted if ICE authorizes Waukegan police to perform any immigration functions. Whether or not the perception is true, the damage is done to immigrant relations with the police.

"If you see a crime, you're not going to report it if you think they'll ask for your immigration status," Rios said.

Mayor Richard Hyde will have his hands full when he tries to change that perception during a town hall meeting scheduled 7 p.m. Wednesday at Holy Family Parish in Waukegan.

City officials have said the law would not allow local police to do "sweeps," enter homes for immigration enforcement purposes, or dictate residential standards to landlords.

Some at the meeting questioned the city's intention to apply for deportation powers for police if there is already a process in place to remove alien felons from the community.

"There are plenty of ways to go after criminals without using this," said Diego Bonesatti, an organizer with the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights in Chicago.

Under current practice, ICE is contacted when aliens are charged with a felony and held at Lake County Jail. During the booking process at the jail, when someone gives a birthplace outside of the United States, their information is sent to ICE, said Deputy Chief of Corrections Patrick Firman.

ICE looks at the charges and decides whether to put a hold on the alien. When their sentence is completed at the jail, ICE picks them up.

Of 11,800 inmates processed through the jail last year, 574 were identified as born outside of the United States, Firman said. Of those, ICE placed holds on about 60 of them.

Firman cautions that the numbers are only estimations based on 2006 statistics that the sheriff's office compiled for a federal grant and include only people held in custody for more than three days.

ICE doesn't keep statistics on the number of deportations from individual communities, said ICE spokesperson Gail Montenegro.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Waukegan Mayor Richard Hyde will speak at a town hall meeting at Holy Family Parish, 450 Keller Ave., at 7 p.m. June 27 about the resolution approved by the City Council regarding Waukegan cooperation with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

If you have a chance to send a short respectable email to the mayor and council supporting their application for 287g I would be so grateful. We cannot let this meeting persuade the mayor to rescind the application.

rick.larsen@ci.waukegan.il.us, moisio3rdward@sbcglobal.net, mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us, wayne.motley@ci.waukegan.il.us, jafig8645@hotmail.com, john.balen@ci.waukegan.il.us, edithnewsome@aol.com, tenpas6@yahoo.com, pneedham@iconnect.net,
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A quote from one of the recent articles;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We feel betrayed," said Armando Peña, a community organizer in Waukegan. "We have to get united and try to ask the city to not do this."

And here's comment in the paper about Mr. Pena's comment. It's a good one!!

Out of whack

So Armando Pena, quoted in The News-Sun on Thursday, feels betrayed? Sounds like that's what he's saying. Why else would law-abiding citizens (immigrants or otherwise) be bothered about police being able to make the community safer? Seems some people may have confused open borders with "come commit felonies with no concern for repercussions." Just how out of whack have things become?

She pointed to the city's vehicle seizure ordinance, which originally authorized police to impound vehicles used in narcotics trade and prostitution. Then it was expanded to include people caught driving without a driver's license.
    So tell me if you’re driving without a license the police should just say, "oh that’s ok try not to kill anybody on your way home"! I once was stopped and had left my vehicle registration at home. THEY IMPOUNDED MY CAR SAYING I COULDN'T PROVE IT WAS MINE! I didn't fight it I paid the fine and showed my registration and got my car back. I was 17 and my Mom said it would teach me to make sure I had all my credentials when I drove. Anyone (and this should include the illegal crowd who thinks laws don't pertain to them) driving without insurance or not being able to produce a driver license or registration is breaking the law and should suffer the consequences

287(g) coming to a city near you!!!!!!!

"They say they're only going to go after criminals, but they're going to go after everybody. The clearest example is the $500 fine (vehicle seizure ordinance)," Rios said.
    So what's her complaint? If ICE is going after everybody, then there is no discrimination. ICE can "come after me" and I'm not worried about it because I have ligitimate documents and I belong here. Also, illegal aliens are criminals and yes, all law enforcement officers should "go after criminals".

The unending stupidity amazes me. This woman is afraid of her own shadow and the belief that crime should go unpunished is unreal. Well, as long as it's not being done to her, she will defend it.

Dixie

Well they will believe it when their family members start getting deported. Then we have to hear about the unfortunate sorrow the illegals feel when their families are broken up. WAH!!!!
    Pass the barf bag...
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Here is an excellent letter that appeared in our paper today. Keep this in mind if you have to support 287g in your community.

FALSE FEARS

Now that the city of Waukegan has approved the police department to seek ICE 287(g) voluntary program training (not yet approved by ICE), Waukegan could begin the process of ridding the community of violent legal and illegal aliens.

What is the problem? We do it all the time with violent criminals who are U.S. citizens. Why should the violent criminal aliens who are illegal aliens continue to walk the streets of Waukegan among the rest of us?

Those in the illegal community who stay below the radar go to work to provide a living for your family and stay away from crime and criminals should have no reason to fear getting caught up with the Waukegan police. And to those in the illegal community who want to band together to get the city to change its mind, I'd say you have got to be crazy.

I do not want any violent criminals roaming the streets of Waukegan causing mayhem, terrorizing residents and instilling a climate of intimidation and fear. No matter if the violent criminal is a U.S. citizen, legal or illegal alien, I want them off the streets, in jail or deported.

It doesn't make sense to prefer to live in a neighborhood where you know violent criminal aliens live, hang out and prey on their neighbors and other city residents than to have Waukegan police with ICE authority to rid neighborhoods of this element. Some illegal aliens come to the U.S. for a better life. Well, make it better by purging the neighborhoods of those violent criminal aliens who have no interest in making a better life for themselves -- only causing chaos for you and your family.

Just look at the News-Sun to read articles about Mayra Silva, a Mexican national and illegal alien from Park City who pleaded guilty to theft of over $15,000. Some may think this is no big deal, but she stole money from people which destroys lives.

Or how about Ezequiel Lopez-Quintero, an illegal alien from Mexico living in Kenosha who entered a plea of not guilty in killing a Kenosha County deputy? This guy should be off the streets and deported once he has been convicted and has served his time.

Here's another one: The Honduran trio in Highland Park convicted in the brutal stabbing of a Honduran woman (their friend) over a love affair. I'm sorry, but no person (illegal or not) should entertain the thought of allowing violent criminals of any immigration status to roam our streets just because some have false fears that the police might deport them for running a stop sign.

It's one thing to be an illegal alien here in the U.S. You come here, get a job you're not authorized to have, send your children through school and provide for your family, living below the radar and not bringing attention to yourselves in a quiet manner. But it's another when an illegal alien comes here, believes he/she is owed something, disrespects the general societal rules and starts committing violent acts against citizens and even other illegal aliens.

U.S. citizens, legal aliens and even illegal aliens all deserve to be protected by the police in their own personal pursuit of happiness against these violent criminals -- illegal or otherwise.

Patricia Reyes
    Waukegan

Ms. Reyes should have said that illegal aliens being protected by the police, whose salaries are paid by OUR tax dollars, should just go home. They are willing to sacrifice the life and liberty of an American to save their own hides.

Is it that they're so accustomed to horrific crime where they come from that they think Americans should just accept it so THEY can take our jobs and trash our country just to make a better life for their families? What about American families???