Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigrant Shot Entering Country

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/local ... eid=100791

Illegal immigrant shot entering country
    By Norman Miller / Daily News Staff
    Wednesday, June 8, 2005

FRAMINGHAM -- A Guatemalan man who showed up at the MetroWest Medical Center Monday with a gunshot wound told authorities he was shot as he crossed illegally into the United States four days ago.

A spokesman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said the man could be a victim of smuggler vs. smuggler violence.

"As far as cross-border violence, it's something we're concerned about," said spokesman Marc Raimondi. "Since 9/11, we've clamped down on the border, but that has made the competition among the coyotes greater."

"Coyotes" are those who smuggle illegal immigrants over the Mexican border, Raimondi said. The illegal immigrants are known as "chickens," he said.

"The chickens are taking the brunt of the violence that is happening," Raimondi said.

The Framingham case developed on Monday when hospital employees called the police at 10:16 p.m. to report a man had come in with a gunshot wound to his foot, Police Chief Steven Carl said.

Carl said the man, whom he would not name, told investigators he was shot as he crossed the border from Mexico into the United States.

"He said he was from Guatemala," said Carl. "He said he and six other people had paid someone $5,000 each to get them across the border, and dropped off in different locations. He said after they crossed through Tijuana, someone shot at them from a bush."

The man was brought to Marlborough and then he went to the hospital in Framingham for treatment of the gunshot wound. Carl said the investigating officers said it looked as if the man was shot with a small-caliber weapon. Authorities did not know why he was taken to Marlborough.

Carl said ICE was immediately notified. Raimondi said the agency is investigating the case and said the man could ultimately face deportation.

"We have a lot of questions," said Raimondi. "Investigations are like puzzles. We have some of the pieces, but we're looking for more pieces to see what actually happened."

Norman Miller can be reached at 508-626-3823 or at nmiller@cnc.com.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"As far as cross-border violence, it's something we're concerned about," said spokesman Marc Raimondi. "Since 9/11, we've clamped down on the border, but that has made the competition among the coyotes greater."
    Joke of the day . . .

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I feel much safer hearing they clamped down on the border. I can now enjoy the rest of my day knowing my government is protecting me from harm.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn