Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal immigrants say daughter’s activism cost them

Illegal immigrants say daughter’s activism cost them

MIAMI - An Ecuadorian couple facing deportation are appealing a judge’s refusal to hear their claim that they were unfairly targeted because their daughter is an immigration activist.

The parents of Gabby Pacheco, 23, a Miami-Dade College student, say they were “selectively targetedâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If the charges were false and they were here legally, then I can understand. However, the charges were TRUE and they were caught, so what's the problem?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

He said the case touches on several constitutional issues including Pacheco’s First Amendment right to freedom of expression and, more directly, the alleged violation of the family’s rights to due process and against unreasonable search and seizure.
    Because of the activism, I would assume they had probable cause to believe these people were here illegally and got warrants issued.

If I robbed a bank and my daughter started protesting in favor of bank robbers, and that drew attention to me and my ultimate arrest, I would not be surprised. I actually am in favor of this judge and support what I have read here. If you have probable cause, it is not an unreasonable search. I am willing to bet good money that their daughter openly talked about how saintly ma and pa were here illegally.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

an expression

There is an expression in Spanish:

Pasar con una banderita de idiota...

It means:

"to walk around waving the little flag of an idiot"

Too bad she doesn't know her own language.

"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones." That would make for a great banner to be towed by an airplane flying over protesters on May Day.

jonhaloi, that saying would make for a great poster aimed at LaRaza or some of the other aggitators.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15140912.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 28, 2006

IMMIGRATION
    Family of young activist may be deported
    The family of a prominent student leader and immigration advocate face deportation, having been approached by immigration officials just days after protesting anti-immigrant legislation.

BY CASEY WOODS AND NOAH BIERMAN
    cwoods@MiamiHerald.com

Gabriela Pacheco was still deep asleep when her sister shook her shoulder.

''Gaby, the police are here and they need to see your ID,'' Maria Pacheco said.

The prominent youth leader, immigrant advocate and honors college student faced her worst fears: Her family was being rounded up by immigration authorities.

A Miami-Dade police officer and a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent were watching from Gabriela's bedroom door. Down the hall, other law enforcement officials waited, while several more surrounded the house.

''It was like Miami Vice, like something out of a movie,'' she said of the show of force on Wednesday morning.

Agents took Gabriela's father, mother and two sisters to the immigration building on Biscayne Boulevard in Miami. Although the family was released later the same day, deportation proceedings have begun.

Immigration officials say the operation was a routine action. ''We acted on information that a fugitive was living in house,'' ICE spokeswoman Barbara Gonzalez said Thursday. ``We found that the fugitive was not located there, but discovered a family who was in the country illegally.''

The family's lawyer, Ira Kurzban, disputes the reason for ICE's visit.

''We believe they targeted this family because of Gaby's activities and public appearances on issues related to immigration,'' he said. ``This is selective prosecution, and we're going to be challenging the government's conduct based on violation of the right to free speech.''

Gabriela, 21, has spent much of her young life as a passionate advocate for those like her: the undocumented children of immigrants. The entire family -- her father, Gustavo; her mother, Maria, and siblings Erika, 27, Maria, 26, and Enrique, 20 -- came to the United States on tourist visas in 1993, when Gabriela was 7 years old. They stayed because of the violence in their native Ecuador, Gabriela said.

Even after she obtained a student visa several years ago -- and with it the security that comes with legal status -- she still lobbied incessantly for a failed bill that would have allowed undocumented students to pay in-state tuition.

Erika Pacheco said that an immigration official commented on Gabriela's activism as he reviewed the family's documents.

''He laughed . . . and said you can thank your sister for everything that is happening,'' she said in a written statement.

Gonzalez declined to comment on that allegation.

After many years as a student leader at Miami Dade College, last year Gabriela was elected statewide president of the Florida Junior and Community Colleges Association, an organization that represents 1.1 million students. She frequently traveled to Tallahassee, working most passionately on legislation that would allow in-state tuition for college students who had lived in Florida several years but whose legal status was in question.

In March, she organized a student rally at the Capitol.

''I've worked with students across the state now for about 10 years,'' said Dennis Reynolds, statewide coordinator of community college student government associations and an administrator at Pensacola Junior College. ``By far she is one of the most standout leaders I have ever worked with.''

Gustavo Pacheco, a pastor, is also an activist in the movement for immigrant rights. Just last weekend, he spoke at a vigil against an ordinance in Avon Park, a small city about 85 miles from Tampa, that would have imposed fines on those who provide jobs or housing to illegal immigrants.
    Notice, Daddy was an "activist" too. The article is no longer found at the miamiherald.com link, but I was able to find it in an old posting.

When you break the law, the LAST thing you should be doing is protesting ANYTHING!

Why are they still here???[/quote]
    "

An Ecuadorian couple facing deportation are appealing a judge’s refusal to hear their claim that they were unfairly targeted because their daughter is an immigration activist.
    Ahh, they are playing the immigration activist defense now!

Who cares, your either illegal or not! Having a daughter who is pro-illegal invader is not a valid defense.

Pacheco is in the U.S. legally, but her parents and two adult sisters are in deportation proceedings because they overstayed their visas.
    They broke U.S. law when they remained here on expired visas. The lawbreakers are not the victims.

[quote:fxmys4gr]The August 2006 raid of the Pacheco home came just months after a series of massive demonstrations across the country - many led by students - to protest an immigration bill that later failed in Congress.
    [/quote:fxmys4gr]

Raid was in August 2006--why are they still here? Did they ignore deportation orders?
    Revoke Gabby Pacheco's student visa.

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

[quote]U.S. Immigration Judge Carey Holliday had refused to hear their arguments. Pacheco “freely chose to draw unwanted attention to herself and her family,â€
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast