Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigration, the Great Democratic Hope

National Review Online
    the corner
    Friday, April 10, 2009

Illegal Immigration, the Great Democratic Hope [Victor Davis Hanson]

There is a great deal of chest-thumping among Obama's supporters that "comprehensive immigration" reform is an invaluable campaign issue that will ensure a Democratic Southwest, as Republicans fall into some sort of nativist trap.

I'm not so sure. Hispanics respect the rule of law as much as anyone; closing the borders first, then worrying about the auxillary issues later, won't necessarily prove polarizing, especially if presented in terms of a desire to insist on the rule of law and a racially/ethnically blind nation. This year's immigration lead-ins on the evening news are not Minutemen on the border and poor immigrants wandering the desert deprived of water by cruel Americans, but lines of Americans at job fairs, reports that the unemployed are looking for any sort of work that they can get their hands on, and a brutality and savagery right across the border every bit as disturbing as what we've seen on jihadist videos.

What will cause polarization is a radical Democratic drive now for de facto amnesty without border closure — at a time of rising unemployment here at home and utter chaos and violence in Mexico. So far the real extremist rhetoric (cf. Ms. Pelosi's recent rants in California) has come from the open-borders side, not from those who wish to return to legal immigration and a border run in accordance with the law.

04/10 04:54 PM

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/? ... Q4NTI4ZGE=
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think the Democrats are in the process of, how should I put it, sticking dynamite in their posterior, lighting the fuse and hoping it doesn't go off to their detriment, figuratively speaking.
    I am sure the Latinos that took the time to apply and come here on a visa to work are real pleased to see some illegal uneducated goatherder throw them out of work.
    And I know plenty of naturalized citizens are livid for having to absorb these illegals into their ethnic communities. But unfortunately, they won't speak up like they should.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's appalling to me that our representatives in Congress care more about staying in power than about protecting our country.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow