Many of you will recall this letter. It's now a song!
If you would like to email Mr. Bresnahan please click on the link.
~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articl ... leID=19291

Illegal Immigration Letter Inspiration for Song 'Can You Get Me In?'
David M. Bresnahan

David Bresnahan has worked in all areas of newspaper and broadcast journalism, as well as public relations since 1972.

Bresnahan has authored several books, hosted talk radio programs, owned a radio station, on-line newspapers, and other businesses. He has received a number of awards for both journalism and broadcasting and in 2001 received the Crystal Award of Excellence for Outstanding Work in Journalism.

David M. Bresnahan
January 17, 2007
Last year I wrote a tongue-in-cheek letter to President Bush to express some frustration with illegal immigration in the United States, and that letter got more attention than anything I have ever written, thanks to talk radio, E-mails, bloggers, and Internet publications.

A Google search for the headline “Mr. President, I’m Headed to Mexico” shows over 1 million web sites where it has been posted on the web. E-mails containing the letter are still being actively passed around, and thousands write to me because of it.

The letter is not a criticism of Mexicans, as some people are quick to claim. The letter uses humor through absurdity to point out the tremendous flaws in the U.S. system of immigration.

A couple months ago I got a call from singer, songwriter, and performer Bob Hayworth who has performed with the Kingston Trio, and is a very talented musician. I was excited when he told me that my letter inspired him to write a song.

Now his song “Can You Get Me In?” is out, and it is getting some attention on radio stations across the country, and the talk shows are once again talking about the illegal immigration issue.

My only desire was to get people talking, and now they are even singing. Hopefully all this attention will bring about change for the better. Clearly the system of immigration in the U.S. is not working and needs an overhaul.

Bob’s song “Can You Get Me In?” is a hit on every station that airs it, and Bob is making the rounds of the talk shows to help keep the debate on the issue alive and well. You can hear a clip of the song at his web site at www.BobHaworth.com

Bob and I were guests on the Peter Boyles Talk Show on WHOW in Denver to introduce the song, and hopefully there will be many more radio talk shows that will keep this issue alive.

The letter that started it all is worth repeating, even though it is not hard to find on the Internet. So here it is so you do not have to search for it...

Dear President Bush:

I'm about to plan a little trip with my family and extended family, and I would like to ask you to assist me. I'm going to walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and I need to make a few arrangements. I know you can help with this.

I plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws. I'm sure they handle those things the same way you do here.

So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Vicente Fox, that I'm on my way over? Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. All government forms need to be printed in English.

4. I want my kids to be taught by English-speaking teachers.

5. Schools need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my kids to see the American flag flying on the top of the flag pole at their school with the Mexican flag flying lower down.

7. Please plan to feed my kids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do not plan to have any car insurance, and I won't make any effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from Pres. Fox to leave me alone, please be sure that all police officers speak English.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, and don’t enforce any labor laws or tax laws.

13. Please tell all the people in the country to be extremely nice and never say a critical word about me, or about the strain I might place on the economy.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all the people who come to the U.S. from Mexico. I am sure that Pres. Fox won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.

However, if he gives you any trouble, just invite him to go quail hunting with your V.P.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Sincerely,

David M. Bresnahan