Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Workers Could Receive Billions When Bush Signs Socia

CheyenneWoman this should answer your question about whether or not the email you received was giving you true information.

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=68495

Illegal Workers Could Receive Billions When Bush Signs Social Security Agreement with Mexico

6/29/2006 8:00:00 AM

To: National Desk

Contact: Brad Phillips, 202-776-0640, for TREA Senior Citizens League

WASHINGTON, June 29 /U.S. Newswire/ -- TREA Senior Citizens League filed two Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits in U.S. District Court this morning after numerous refusals over three years by the U.S. Department of State and Social Security Administration to provide a draft of, or virtually any pertinent information regarding, the impact of the Totalization Agreement with Mexico on the U.S. Social Security Trust Fund.

The Totalization Agreement could allow millions of illegal Mexican workers to draw billions of dollars from the U.S. Social Security Trust Fund. The agreement between the U.S. and Mexico was signed in June 2004, and is awaiting President Bush's signature. Many critics believe he intends to sign it shortly after the 2006 midterm elections.

Once President Bush approves the agreement, which would be done without congressional vote, either house would have 60 days to disapprove the agreement by voting to reject it.

Under the Totalization Agreement, millions of illegal Mexicans working in the United States today could claim benefits from the Social Security Trust Fund for work performed while in the United States illegally. They could do so through immigration amnesty, through which they could claim past Social Security payments for illegal work. They could also potentially return to Mexico and claim credits for illegal work in the United States.

"We are outraged that our government won't tell us how much they plan to take out of the Social Security Trust Fund to pay for the Totalization Agreement with Mexico, and we want to know what they're hiding," said Ralph McCutchen, chairman of the TREA Senior Citizens League.

The U.S. currently has 21 similar agreements in effect with other nations, which are intended to eliminate dual taxation for persons who work outside their country of origin. All of the agreements are with developed nations with economies similar to that of the U.S.

But Mexico's retirement system is radically different, since only 40 percent of non-government workers participate, as opposed to 96 percent of America's workers. In addition, the U.S. system is progressive, meaning lower wage earners get back much more than they put in; in Mexico, workers get back only what they put in, plus accrued interest.

"The Social Security Trust Fund should be for Americans in their retirement years. I vigorously oppose a Totalization Agreement with Mexico, which would allow millions of illegal Mexicans to access those funds," said Rep. Virgil Goode (R-Va.).

The original FOIA request, filed in August 2003, as well as all subsequent requests, demanded a copy of the actual agreement, as well as other relevant documents, including those showing the financial impact the agreement with Mexico would have on the U.S. Social Security Trust Fund. Despite numerous attempts to ascertain such information, the State Department and Social Security Administration steadfastly refused to provide virtually any relevant documents.

According to the Social Security Administration, the Social Security Trust Fund will begin paying out more than it is taking in by 2017, and will be exhausted by the year 2040.

-----

To read the full press release or more information, visit http://www.SeniorsLeague.org.

-----

TREA Senior Citizens League is one of the nation's largest nonpartisan seniors groups. Its mission is to promote and assist members and supporters, to educate and alert senior citizens about their rights and freedoms as U.S. Citizens, and to protect and defend the benefits senior citizens have earned and paid for.

http://www.usnewswire.com/
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

So let's say they stole my Social Security number. Does that mean they will now be able to loot my account without me knowing or being able to do anything about it?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

the actions being taken

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Is there no limit to the harm this president intends to inflict on the citizens of this country?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I think this topic calls for a Bushism!

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Bush addressing a group of witnesses at the signing of the Defense Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2005 in Washington, DC on Aug. 4
    "Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake." -- Louisa May Alcott

This one is off topic, but one of my favorites!

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."
    —Bush, meeting with Iraqi citizens who received medical care in the U.S., May 25, 2000
    "Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake." -- Louisa May Alcott