Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Immigrant camps in San Diego county canyon to be removed

http://www.signonsandiego.com

Immigrant camps in canyon to be removed

Up to 300 men will be affected

By Elena Gaona
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    July 28, 2006

Associated Press
    Police say they are preparing to remove up to 300 immigrant men who live in shanty homes in McGonigle Canyon by the end of August.
    CARMEL VALLEY – Police say they are preparing to remove up to 300 immigrant men who live in shanty homes in McGonigle Canyon by the end of August.

“There are plans to close the camps in McGonigle in the next 30 days,” said San Diego Police Capt. Jim Collins with the Northeast Division.

It's not clear who owns the property, but police officials are talking with Pardee Homes and the city of San Diego, the probable owners of the lots, about clearing the camp, Collins said.

Once ownership is determined, police officers would post signs ordering the men, who are mostly from southern Mexico, to leave. Should they refuse, police would likely evict them.

It would not be the first time that immigrant camps in McGonigle are removed.

A wide undeveloped expanse of land between Carmel Valley and Rancho Peñasquitos, the canyon had about 750 people living there almost a dozen years ago, when the city of San Diego moved families out. Families were relocated from the massive shantytown into affordable housing.

Last year, Sharon Johnson, city of San Diego homeless services administrator, told the City Council that some 100 men were living in the canyon. Police estimate the number today could be as high as 300.

Before moving the men, police are working with agencies to try to find homes for them, Collins said, though he did not say which groups.

Johnson said the Section 8 rent subsidies and affordable housing resources that were available 12 years ago have been largely cut by the federal government.

“You keep looking for solutions,” Johnson said, adding that the city has been looking for a site to build farmworker housing for the men for more than a year. “But we haven't found it.”

Every summer, some of the shanty homes made from loose boards and plastic sheeting are torn down by private property owners, said Carlos Maldonado, a community worker with the California Rural Legal Assistance nonprofit that helps the migrant workers.

Collins agreed that the camps are periodically moved, but he said the camp dwellers often return to the same spots or nearby campsites.

Collins said police have continually monitored the camps because of the potentially unsafe living conditions.

The camps could present a fire danger because sometimes men cook over open flames, and officials are concerned about damaging environmentally sensitive areas, Collins said.

Recently, Minutemen and their supporters filmed the camps, which has angered immigrants and their supporters.

Rancho Peñasquitos resident Julie Adams said the threat of fires, crime and sanitary conditions are what's leading her to push police and city officials to close the camps.

She has called city officials and sent e-mails to other residents asking them to join her effort.

On Wednesday, police were called to the camp to calm down a heated exchange between Minutemen supporters, including Adams, and staff from a mobile health clinic treating men at the camp.

Police say there was “a shoving match,” but no reports were filed and no one was arrested.

Men at the camp said they were frightened by the visit.

The Minutemen group said the incident was exaggerated.

“It's not a good situation,” said Claudia Smith, with California Rural Legal Assistance, who is concerned about Minutemen tactics.

Several men at the camp, meanwhile, said they don't know where they will go if they are evicted.

“It's hard to get work,” said Saul Martinez, 25, a day laborer from Guerrero who lives in the canyon. “I can't afford a place.”

Staff writer Leslie Berestein contributed to this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elena Gaona: (760) 737-7575; elena.gaona@uniontrib.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Lord, am I ever gettin sick of the Minutemen being blamed for everything.

who are mostly from southern Mexico, to leave. Should they refuse, police would likely evict them.
    Are these legals or illegals? No mention of that!!

If they're illegals, why do we have to provide housing for them?

CheyenneWoman,

Yes these are the illegals that show up on SD street corners waiting to be picked up. The SDMM have been working hard to shut these sites down.

“It's not a good situation,” said Claudia Smith, with California Rural Legal Assistance, who is concerned about Minutemen tactics.
    What the MSM leaves about Ms. Smith. She's is a stance supporter of ACLU and was brought up on assualt charges last month for attacking a San Diego Minuteman. She has not been happy with the SDMM shutting down several day labor sites.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Quote Originally Posted by CheyenneWoman
    Lord, am I ever gettin sick of the Minutemen being blamed for everything.

who are mostly from southern Mexico, to leave. Should they refuse, police would likely evict them.

San Diego County is a sanctuary city/county! Arggggg!
    We call things racism just to get attention.We reduce complicated problems to racism,not because it is racism, but because it works
    AlfredoGutierrez

Once ownership is determined, police officers would post signs ordering the men, who are mostly from southern Mexico, to leave. Should they refuse, police would likely evict them.

Deport them and voila housing problem solved. We are not responsible for finding them other housing we are responsible for deporting them
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I was one of the Minutemen (3 of us and a resident) that went down to the camp.

The article hardly mentions what happend but I have three videos on my website.

Click here for videos
    http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=1602

This was my third visit to the migrant encampments in Carmel Valley, CA and I learn something new every time I go there. The illegal aliens have their own mobile health clinic run by North County Health Services providing free health care to everyone in the illegal shanty town.

I attempted to learn more about the services provided by the mobile unit. The health care workers weren’t very helpful which I can understand. They wanted me to wait until their supervisor arrived, so we did.

When the supervisor arrived things got a little crazy. The migrants called their Lawyer, Claudia Smith, who called Univision (Spanish TV) and the San Diego Union Tribune as well as several legal observers.

I did an interview with Univision and then the mobile health unit people lied their asses off and told the Spanish media that the Minutemen attacked them. And then the police arrived and I was nearly arrested!

This woman is the mobile health unit Doctor.

[/b]

This is a major victory for San Diego and we have the SDMM to thank for their hard work and dedication. Bravo

I have a question. Where will these 300 illegals go once they are removed?

Quote Originally Posted by bearpaw
    I have a question. Where will these 300 illegals go once they are removed?
    From Watchdog, http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=1602
    Before moving the men, police are working with agencies to try to find homes for them, Collins said, though he did not say which groups.

Johnson said the Section 8 rent subsidies and affordable housing resources that were available 12 years ago have been largely cut by the federal government.

“You keep looking for solutions,” Johnson said, adding that the city has been looking for a site to build farmworker housing for the men for more than a year. “But we haven’t found it.”
    Don't they have homeless veterans in the area who are entitled this kind of help?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchdog
    This woman is the mobile health unit Doctor.
    [/b]
    Checking somebody for mumps looks like.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Having watched these videos, I must admit, this is absolutely mind-boggling. How can these people stand there with a straight face and make up the stories that they have made up.

I was glad to hear the cop saying that the MM had right to film anything.

Too many of these people want all of America's bennies, but don't want the freedom of speech part , unless they're doing it.

Sorry folks, that knife cuts both ways.

Checking somebody for mumps looks like. Rolling Eyes
    I must admit, she does look like she has mumps!! I thought we eradicated mumps in this country, but what do I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast