Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration law drove away customers

Baldwin County's Hispanic business owners: Immigration law drove away customers

FOLEY, Alabama — On a typical day, Guadalupe Pineda-Rios might sell one bus ticket to Mexico.

On Thursday, he sold 25.

Since 2006, the 61-year-old Pineda-Rios has owned the Foley La Michaoacana market, which caters to Hispanic customers.

Along with the bus tickets, he sells myriad items such as phone cards, soccer shirts, CDs, dolls, snacks, dresses, tortillas and sodas.

Alabama’s strict immigration law, much of which was upheld in a Wednesday ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Sharon Lovelace Blackburn, has driven away as much as 50 percent of his business.

For years Pineda-Rios, a Mexican immigrant himself, had worked odd jobs for little pay — in a field for $15 a day, in a market for $7 an hour — until he had saved enough to start his own business, he said Saturday through interpretation from his 13-year-old son, Jose Carlos Pineda.

In a small strip mall just off Ala. 59, he owns the market, a butcher shop and a restaurant.

"That was his dream of all his life," Jose said. "From night to the morning, his dream went away."

Now, the family’s future is uncertain.

"If the law keeps going," the son said, "he might have to close. And if the business closes, he has to leave." Â

Love the comments, best one was
    "‎1st rule of operating a business. Don't build a business around an illegal customer base. It's a very simple business plan. Poor old Margarita wants to know if the federal government is going to help them out, just more of the entitlement mentality."

I have no sympathy for people that make their living off of illegals. I wonder if he had a money transfer service also, they make a lot of fees with those.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by busygirl
    Love the comments, best one was
    "‎1st rule of operating a business. Don't build a business around an illegal customer base. It's a very simple business plan. Poor old Margarita wants to know if the federal government is going to help them out, just more of the entitlement mentality."
    That is another problem they have since they do not assimilate into the community,they make a business serving their own . If we did that we would be called racists and probably LOSE the business to lawsuits. I find no sympathy for their actions.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

[quote]We’re just waiting on Obama," Jessica Pineda said, "to see what he can do." Â

I get scared because we have the color."
    Of what? These businesses are in their own neighborhoods for the most part.

"Ha! Ha! You Suck!"

Follow you're customers Heffe'
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is great, it shows you that enforcing the law actually works. Let's keep the pressure on in other states and elect a President who will enforce the law nationally. These pathetic losers are all relying on Obama to help them, they don't realize that he is totally done right now.