Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Protesters Scuffle in NY - Minutemen

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060726/us_ ... gration_dc

Immigration protesters scuffle in New York
    By Michelle Nichols

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Immigration activists clashed at the site of the World Trade Center on Wednesday when an anti-illegal immigration group called for secure borders to avoid a repeat of the September 11 attacks and counterprotesters yelled "racists go home."

Members of the Minuteman Project, which patrols the U.S.-Mexican border for illegal immigrants, pushed and shoved members of an immigrant rights group that showed up at the event.

Jim Gilchrist and Jerome Corsi, authors of "Minutemen: The Battle to Secure America's Borders," were whisked away when some immigrant rights supporters broke through a police barrier and scuffled with Minutemen supporters.

Corsi, who also wrote a book critical of Sen. John Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign, accused President Bush of leaving U.S. borders wide open.

"When the World Trade Center was attacked, we saw a failure of the Bush administration to protect our borders and to enforce our immigration laws. This tragedy could be repeated," Corsi said.

Gilchrist and Corsi said they held their event at Ground Zero to dedicate their book to the families of the September 11 victims.

About 50 immigrant rights advocates waved placards reading, "New York is an immigrant town -- Minuteman not welcome," while about 30 anti-illegal immigration protesters held banners that said, "Stop the invasion" and "U.S. jobs for U.S. citizens."

Polls show immigration reform is an important issue to many Americans, but negotiations over immigration reform have stalled in the U.S. Congress. The House of Representatives and the Senate have passed vastly different bills and it is increasingly unlikely the two sides will bridge differences ahead of the November congressional elections.

Senate legislation would give the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants a chance to earn U.S. citizenship, while the House bill that would criminalize illegal presence.

Stephen Durham, 58, was one of 50 activists who protested the Minutemen's appearance in New York.

"I'm really appalled that (the Minuteman Project) would use 9/11 to publicize a plan (to secure U.S. borders) which is fundamentally so unconstitutional and un-American," he said. "We are all immigrants. Immigrant labor built America."

"We are all immigrants. Immigrant labor built America."
    Ya....and illegal immigration is destroying it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Stephen Durham, 58, was one of 50 activists who protested the Minutemen's appearance in New York.

"We are all immigrants. Immigrant labor built America."
    That was then, this is now, Mr. Durham.

"I'm really appalled that (the Minuteman Project) would use 9/11 to publicize a plan (to secure U.S. borders) which is fundamentally so unconstitutional and un-American," he said.
    As for unconstitutional - well, maybe he ought to read the Constitution before he starts spouting off.

"I'm really appalled that (the Minuteman Project) would use 9/11 to publicize a plan (to secure U.S. borders) which is fundamentally so unconstitutional and un-American
    Whaaattt??? Who let him out of the mental home?

American citizens should not have to be going through this in their own country. When they are having a memorial service for those that died in 9-11 and these people are showing up it is no different than the ones that are protesting at the funerals of fallen soldiers. Our government should be ashamed to deny respect for those that lost their lives. Arnold Schwarzenegger is saying that the people are prejudice now. This is outrageous when our own government officials start participating in name calling because American citizens want their borders secured and their laws enforced. These politicians are counting on us to not be informed as to what is going on.

Of all the people that ought to be heard on the subject, I think it is these:

http://www.911fsa.org/ - that carry more weight than all others (IMHO).

I'm fairly certain they also want strong border and internal immigration enforcement.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Whaaattt??? Who let him out of the mental home?
    Ya sure makes me wonder what rock they crawled out
    from under. It's like haven't you people heard of border checks, passports, and all sorts of other things people have to do when they leave this country? If there were no borders why would there be Canada and Mexico and state lines etc. We're all about borders of some sort. County line borders, one city to the next, property lines.......fences.....I'd like to know where they get their info from! Ya....some places you can VISIT a bit easier than others......but I don't know of anywhere where you can hang your hat, squat, and claim it as home.

JAK
    but I don't know of anywhere where you can hang your hat, squat, and claim it as home.

[quote:3g5lbc8w]

America??? (so our government tells us)
    [/quote:3g5lbc8w]
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!