Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration reform has mixed families unsettled

Immigration reform has mixed families unsettled
    Posted 22h 45m ago

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. β€” When Kecia Sales and Juan Marquez were married, they were like scores of other couples: very much in love with plans to live together for the rest of their lives.

But it wasn't to be.

After their December 2004 marriage, he told her he had been living illegally in the U.S. since 1999. After leaving Mexico, Marquez made his way to her hometown of Kansas City, Kan., where they met and married, and she took his name.

They became one of an estimated 2 million mixed families, where at least one member is a citizen or lawfully living in the country and at least one member isn't. The vast majority of those families, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, involve an illegal parent and legal children β€” yet another shade of this country's ongoing immigration conundrum.

That he's among some 12 million illegal immigrants didn't change Sales' love for Marquez. They lived in her hometown with a couple of dogs and both worked to make ends meet.

"It didn't bother me," she said. "It doesn't make him any worse of a person."

But Marquez, 26, and his wife, 40, finally decided he should return to Mexico and begin the long, uphill fight to re-enter the country legally.

Marquez's decision came as Kansas and some 40 other states try to pass legislation this year dealing with illegal immigrants because Congress has failed to act. It's a move Hispanic advocates say affects more than illegal immigrants.

"It impacts also documented immigrants because families tend to be of a mixed status. Hurting one individual hurts the entire family. It creates an unwelcoming atmosphere to all immigrants, whether legal or not," said David Ferreira of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

El Centro Inc., a Hispanic advocacy group in the Kansas City area, said its 2006 survey showed 63% of Hispanics questioned said they lived in some type of mixed family status.

Why Juan Marquez came to the United States is a familiar tale. He wanted a better life for himself and his family, which includes two younger brothers, his mother and disabled father back in Hidalgo state.

"They have no money for food. My parents don't work," he said. "I wanted to do whatever I have to do to put on the table for my family."

He said each week he sent $100 to his family β€” a practice known as "remittances," which the Inter-American Development Banks says accounted for $23 billion sent to Mexico in 2006.

The couple talked about the decision for him to return to Mexico in the office of their immigration attorney, Mira Mdivani, shortly before Marquez left last month.

"You don't feel safe in the streets. You don't feel safe anywhere because of a lot of things going on right now," he said. "The police pull you over for no reason."

"I want to be free, to go wherever I want to go and not be scared. In the long run, it will be worth it. We can have a better life and we won't be scared anymore," Marquez said.

STATES: Illegal immigrant curbs face uphill climb

When he was in the United States., he worked at construction jobs, doing everything from picking up trash to cleaning sewers and provided about two-thirds of the household income.

Kecia Marquez said she worried daily that her husband would be arrested at work by immigration agents, so much so that she called him three or four times a day to check on him.

Her worries continue about whether he will be allowed back in the United States anytime soon.

"It's stressful, very stressful, because I don't know if he's coming back. It's just that I'm sure we're doing the right thing. This is my home, and I want it to be here with my husband," she said as both teared up.

Mdivani said because Juan Marquez entered the country illegally and stayed more than a year, the law bars him from coming back for 10 years, unless the government approves a waiver request from his wife. She said Juan Marquez will file that request this month with the U.S. Consulate in Juarez, Mexico, and wait, maybe for up to a year, for an answer.

"The law is extremely unforgiving," Mdivani said. "But I think Kecia has a compelling case. She takes care of a disabled sister and uncle. She won't have the opportunity for any kind of decent job there and she will lose the house."

She also won't be getting much sympathy from those pushing tougher immigration legislation.

"I have compassion for them, but I'm also concerned about Kansas citizens. I'm responsible to the citizens to protect them," said Sen. Peggy Palmer, an Augusta Republican and main sponsor on an immigration bill.

Kecia Marquez has her own feelings about what legislators are trying to do.

"It's making it hard for everyone. It's like we're being punished just because my husband is Hispanic," she said.

Not so, says Kris Kobach, state GOP chairman, who helped draft the legislation.

"It's a reflection of the fact that we're a nation that respects the rule of law," he said. "There are millions of people waiting patiently in line to get and we shouldn't forget they are playing by the rules when talking about those coming here illegally."

If the waiver is denied, Kecia Marquez says she will move to Mexico.

"That's what I'll have to do. That's my husband. I have to go where he goes," she said. "I love him, I can't forget about him."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... lies_N.htm
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

If the only way that relatives can continue to exist as a family with some here is by breaking the American immigration laws then the entire family including the American citizens and green card holders should leave.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Does anyone find it odd that he is 26 and she is 40?

I do applaud him for going back to Mexico and trying to get in the right way. That's the ONLY way to come in, legally period.

This "the government is punishing hispanics" whine has got to end, it's reallllly gotten old.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    This "the government is punishing hispanics" whine has got to end, it's reallllly gotten old.
    I agree, and I don't know why these papers never ever print "the Government is rewarding non-Latin Americans"? For every illegal Hispanic they deport it benefits Americans and legal immigrants of all races.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am sooooo sick of reading that this is because Congress didn't act.....they acted alright...they acted to NOT pass the Amnesty bill..
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigration law is not reponsible for families being unsettled!

What's responsible is the choices these illegal invaders made to come to this country illegally and then start familes with American Citizens (or anyone). Those irresponsible choices are the reason these people find themselves in these predicaments. Not US law!

Sob story alert.

After their December 2004 marriage, he told her he had been living illegally in the U.S. since 1999. After leaving Mexico, Marquez made his way to her hometown of Kansas City, Kan., where they met and married, and she took his name.
    Can an illegal alien legally obtain a marriage license? (Remember the marriage scams for money for citizenship?)
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Does anyone find it odd that he is 26 and she is 40?
    My first thought as well.
    Makes me wonder what the divorce stats would be if they were granted citizenship.

So many think it's a sure fire way to get legal and way, way, too many young ones are being suckered into marraige thinking their saving their boyfriend or girlfriend.

What documents did he show when they got their marriage license I wonder?