Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration rules could hinder L.A. County garment industry

Law affect Lost Angeles??? Ya think?

~~~
    Immigration rules could hinder L.A. County garment industry
    Employers and employee advocates in the $33-billion industry say the extra steps required could cut -- perhaps deeply -- into their business.
    By Anna Gorman, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    August 11, 2007

If the federal government follows through with its planned crackdown on illegal hiring, Los Angeles garment manufacturer Mike Lee said he will be forced to take on a new role.

"All of a sudden they want the employers to act as policemen," said Lee, former president of the Korean Apparel Manufacturers Assn. "I am a businessman."

The immigration regulations announced Friday could hinder industries throughout California and the nation, including agriculture, hospitality and landscaping.

In Los Angeles County, one of the hardest hit could be the $33-billion garment industry.

More than 59,000 garment workers -- many believed to be undocumented immigrants -- are employed in the county. Nationwide, 26% of textile and garment workers and 18% of sewing machine operators are undocumented, according to 2005 data compiled by the Pew Hispanic Center.

"It could be very, very disruptive," said Jack Kyser, chief economist at the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp.

Currently, employers are required to check documents such as a permanent residence card -- a green card -- or a Social Security card, but aren't required to verify that the documents are valid.

The Social Security Administration sends letters when names and numbers don't match, but workers and employers often ignore those notices.

"They look the other way and hope everything is OK," said Joe Rodriguez, executive director of the Garment Contractors Assn.

Under the new regulations, employers must fire workers with discrepancies in their Social Security data -- or face fines.

The government also plans to increase fines by 25% against companies that knowingly hire undocumented workers and to expand criminal investigations.

The Department of Homeland Security plans to begin implementing the Social Security "no-match" reforms within 30 days.

Worker organizers said that the rules will lead to more discrimination and exploitation of immigrant laborers.

"This is going to be one more tool that employers are going to use to repress and intimidate and abuse them," said Delia Herrera, an organizer at the Garment Worker Center in Los Angeles.

Many workers already earn less than minimum wage and work as many as 13 hours a day, Herrera said.

Often, they take work home because many are paid by the piece.

Danny Park, executive director of the Korean Immigrant Workers Alliance, said he worries that employers will use the new rules to retaliate against garment employees who try to organize or join unions.

The consequences in Los Angeles aren't only for the employees, Park said.

"It will affect the whole community," he said. "A lot of income and wealth is generated from that industry."

For their part, employers have their own frustrations with the government's regulations. They say Homeland Security is putting them in the position of enforcing immigration law because Congress failed to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

"It's their job to stop them from coming," said manufacturer Lee.

"Once they are here, what are you going to do then?"

Lee also worries that if he does fire workers, they will go to the Labor Department and claim they were unjustly fired.

Lonnie Kane, who owns Karen Kane Inc., has a workforce of a few hundred and said he expects to lose some of them.

"Would I imagine that some of them have issues with Social Security numbers?" he said. "I would expect so."

Kane said he also anticipates having a harder time finding new workers.

The enforcement will undoubtedly affect the apparel industry but won't shut it down, said Ilse Metchek, executive director of the California Fashion Assn. Metchek believes more manufacturers will move their operations offshore.

"If I have merchandise to get out the door, if I can't make it in Los Angeles," she said, "I will make it elsewhere."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... nes-nation
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How many excuses will they come up with?

Excuse me, what clothes made in the USA. I NEVER NEVER see
    anything made here. Are the garments sold in some other
    country??????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Don' just threaten to move off shore DO IT !!! Get the H out of our country you bunch of traitors who could care less about our laws or our people.

Our young people are dying in Iraq while these traitors are encouraging the invasion of our country killing,raping and otherwise endangering our citizens.

GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!!!!!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

What is funny is how all these businesses are now admitting they use illegals. Time to smack them on the head and throw them in jail to be with the criminals they employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthelight
    My sentiments precisely!!!

How often do you see a garment tagged "Made in the USA" (or much of anything else either!!!)?

How could an illegal take the employer to court for being fired cause they are here illegally and don't have documents..DUH!!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cthelight wrote
    You mean someone actually STILL makes clothes in the United States??

We don't need illegal alien slave labor clothes with a "Made in the USA" label on it.

Offshore it!! Who wants to buy anti-American clothes anyway!!

There will be patriotic employers to fill the vacant buildings before long!

Maybe a PATRIOTIC AMERICAN or LEGAL US IMMIGRANT!!

The traitor industries are coming out of the woodwork now!! They are traitors and everyone should shout it!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast